Retired Military Couple looking seriously at Ecuador

My husband and I are both retired from the military and would like to find a place where we can live on both our pensions. We don't need a big social scene and really enjoy nature and being away from things. Right now we have 38 acres of forest with our house right in the middle of it.  Our tentative plan is to work as hard as we can over the next 6 years to pay off our debts.  Then  when I reach 59.5 I can pull out my small IRA. We would sell most everything and move to Tennessee for 6 months and establish residency. I understand that if you retire overseas it is much easier if you move from a state that doesn't require income tax filing.
We currently have 3 dogs and 8 special needs cats. We don't know how many will still be with us in 6 years, but plan on taking them when we move.
I am a teacher, a network engineer and have a large woodworking shop. I plan on selling all of my large tools and maybe just taking my scroll saw and small lathe with me. I'm sure there is some beautiful wood down there to work with.
My husband loves to golf and bowl and is getting ready to retire and draw social security this year.
We lived in Europe for ten years very happily so I believe we could live outside the states again just as happily. I am already beginning to learn Spanish and hope to be fairly fluent in six years. I keep getting my German mixed up with it though...I don't know how people do it who can easily speak more than two languages.

I just hope the cost of living won't skyrocket by the time we get there.

My dream would be to have a small home in the edge of the forest with a deck overlooking a stream but I could still get to town fairly easily. Wildlife would be welcome.

Sounds like a wonderful plan: just a consideration... will world economy wait for six years?? Some extraordinary minds see about 2016-17 as very likely to be very challenging years... let alone July this year f at ca coming inot effect.. this also could be a complication to consider... have you read Mark Nestmann blog? Or Jim Sinclaire? ... some ideas.. San Antonio in Ecuador is a town of wood crafts you may enjoy visiting...?...  IRA can develop accent and have off shore investments: check out Doug Casey reports ? .. a few thoughts... We have just taken the plunge... and are happy as well, no regrets.. not to say that everything going smoothly :)
best wishes
O.

Thank you for those suggestions. I will look at those blogs. I also need to think about citizenship issues.

Hello,
My wife and I are in the process of putting together an Immigration Assistance Service, here in Quito. We have been hitting the offices involved, in person, to get the most up to date and factual information needed to navigate the immigration system here. We have been at it for 45+ plus days now, but as we are both type "A" personalities we are trying to cover the various areas a family may encounter. I am retired Military, and my wife who has her MBA, was born and raised in Ecuador.
There are many internet sites, blogs etc. which offer information, but from personal experience I have found not all the information was factual or current. Considering a move like this, having the right information is crucial in avoiding costly mistakes and delays once arriving in Ecuador.
As I said we have not gotten things off the ground yet, but if you have any questions I would gladly provide you with whatever information you require at this time. For better response time, you can contact us at [email protected].

Sincerely,
Jim Morris

P.S.
Before all the comments start rolling in, I wanted to add that we are planning trips to Cuenca and other popular areas as well, due to the fact that you can contact three different offices and get various answers depending on what day it is and who you talk to.
I would also like to point out that we will welcome any positive feedback on this issue. For us, this is not an endeavor to pad our mattress, I sleep just fine as it is. Having done over 20 years on active duty in the military, and retiring at a Senior Enlisted level I became very accustomed to advising, and resolving issues junior enlisted members ran into, it was a large part of my job, and not only did I perform it well, I also enjoyed it.
My wife, is one of the nicest people you could ever meet, she has and does work with people on both a local level and internationally. In fact, it was her idea to offer assistance to Expats.
Unfortunately there are people out there that will do anything for a buck, legal or not. I have already spoken to two such agencies here in Ecuador, that openly told me how to get around certain aspects of immigration to Ecuador. In addition, they also wanted pretty steep compensation, for things most people could easily do on their own, or with minimal guidance.

Sincerely,
James & Alexandra Morris.

Thanks. I'm reading a lot of books on Ecuador and Cuenca now.

OGA1 wrote:

have you read Mark Nestmann blog? Or Jim Sinclaire?

I just did.  They're both like loud, flashy used car salesmen, except the lemon they're selling is goofy financial advice for paranoids.  I don't know why anyone would give them a second glance.

Sounds like a nice plan……first visit here..like everywhere, there is good and bad…I love Ecuador and am retired military also.
The immigration process is set up so people can do it without "helpers"…..and yes, there is a little confusion but the truth is not hard to discern and obtain what is required.  The local consulates of Ecuador in the USSA are there and can help you.
Speaking spanish, at least some, is essentail IMHO.   The Ecuadorian people are wonderful and helpful, but you need to know spanish.

The more I read the less certain I get. Seems like, in six years, the cost of living will be comparable to the states and crime will be up.  I live in rural South Carolina now and neither crime nor cost of living is high here. I guess when it gets closer to the time I will have to look around and see what the best choice is.

[Moderated: off topic + inappropriate]

Bkind2anmls, I understand you point. If you live in a rual area, life is much easier than in a big city.
Notice there's a big difference in Ecuador between living in a city and live in the rural. In the city you have all you need for a good quality life but it takes money. Every city in Ecuador is different and cost of live can be high in Quito o Guayaquil. Living in the rural is much cheaper but usually means be far away from hospitals, sometimes no tap water, bad roads......

Hi,

Just to let you know, you should take the time to visit to see if this is the place you want to live.  As for citizenship, you retain your US citizenship and you obtain a resident visa that is indefinite and a cedula (ID card) that needs to be renewed every 10 years, but you are still a US citizen.

Hope this helps.

Ed

HI,

Read your info.  I lived in Cuenca, Ec for a year, and have now returned to Europe, I had left the US in 2009.

Ecuador has many wonderful experiences to offer, many great people, stunning beauty, amazing fruits and vegetables completely new to me. Those are the things I will greatly miss.

What I have found, however, is that couples fare much better than single women because of the Latin attitudes towards women.  And an increasing backlash against gringoes because of the attitudes of gringoes who had never left the US, are loudly critical of the 3rd world aspects of the city. In one case, a gringo male slapped a female cashier across the face because she didn't understand him.

I got tired of the taxi hassle.  Every time is a new negotiation, even though the fees are supposed to be set.  You pay the gringo tax, just depends on how much.

I got tired of being bumped and banged on the sidewalks in the center city because you are expected to move out of their way.

I got tired of hiring people to do something that they either never showed up for, or did a poor job. 

I got tired of keeping my money in my front pockets rather than a wallet. 

I got tired of not ever wearing even modest jewelry.  Nothing more than $5 earrings and a $20 watch.

I got tired of the lack of ordinary items, or prices more than double those in the US.

It's a wonderful place to visit, but for me, not to live.  The people who do well there basically stay in the gringo community, sit at this cafe or that one all day.  There's more mental stimulation as more expats arrive, but if you choose Ecuador, you're somewhat isolated by the mountains.

If you're not familiar, you may want to check out Gringo Post and Gringo Tree. Be glad to answer any questions you may have.  Oh, BTW, there's a new retired military group you may want to contact.

Best,
Maggie

PS.  Do not pay attorneys or "facilitators" a dime for anything.  I lost $1000 between 2 of them.  Immigration in Cuenca is wonderful, they will lead you step by step.  The attorney, who is advertised as one of the best, took my money.  I needed to write a letter of explanation to my home state for information (they wanted official, attorney style info), she told me to write it myself).  The routine form to take to immigration was completely wrong, and the immigration woman worked with me for an hour to straighten it out).  I have several huge horror stories, but this is enough for now.

Hello all am a Cameroonian and would love to relocate to Ecuador any help on guid?

LeftClique wrote:
OGA1 wrote:

have you read Mark Nestmann blog? Or Jim Sinclaire?

I just did.  They're both like loud, flashy used car salesmen, except the lemon they're selling is goofy financial advice for paranoids.  I don't know why anyone would give them a second glance.

Hi, I'm really new to this site...I've looked for, but can't find the 2 blogs you refer to....where would I find them?  Thanks.

Ecuador, like every place, has both good and bad things about it…….we choose….
Being here, I adapt to the country and do not expect the country to adapt to me……
I am very happy here and do NOT live, nor see on a regular basis, gringos…..nor have I experienced any hostility or bias as a gringo.
Life is good here…….and like many things, it will be what you make of it…….

While I respect your opinion, I can't say that I can agree with you on your perspective on Ecuador.

You said you lived here for a year, and now live in Europe. You did not say where in Europe you live, but I know as a matter fact, that the same things you did not like in Ecuador can be found there as well.

You said you left the US in 09, then you may have been to New York, or perhaps Chicago, Los Angeles? How about down South? Everything you have sited is just as prevalent in any of those places as well. Maybe you have been to Japan, China, Turkey, Israel, Thailand, Singapore, Paris, Rome, London?

Personal protection awareness is a fact of life, regardless of where you live on this planet. Your warning to single women is presumptive, While there is discrimination against women, worldwide, here in Ecuador, as well as other places, there are single women who are happy and thriving. It is unfortunate that you feel you are such a target.
The main thing that Expats either know, from the start or learn is that to be happy anywhere you must assimilate into your new surroundings and live as the locals do, otherwise you may as well stay in the US. Americans have gotten a label as "Loud Americans" simply because, some are, and don't realize they are not in Kansas anymore. It's really pretty standard, if you want to be robbed, dress like a rock star and flash money, if you want to stand out, be the opposite of your surroundings. This is true anywhere on the planet.

Your experience with the "Facilitators" you payed is unfortunate, and there are people both here and in the US, that will gladly take something for nothing. However there are many Expats here that openly offer advise, the burden of truth is on you, and the standard rule applies, "If it sounds to good to be true, it is". There are reliable sources of information and assistance available, just ask around, make contact and decide for yourself.

In all my travels over the past 32 years, I have yet to find Expats all congregating in one or two bars etc. I don't think that portrays them in a very good light as well. Here in Quito, I can count on two fingers, the number of Expats I have run into in the past 6 months, and my wife and I get around town very frequently, to a number of not only tourist areas but local enclaves as well. I came to Ecuador for a complete change of venue, it would defeat the purpose, to not blend in and be a Becino, which is Spanish for Neighbor. The moniker of "Gringo" is not the same here as it can be in Mexico, or even the US. My Mother in law, routinely introduces me as her Gingo Son, I have more new cousins here, than I can keep track of, and they all love to take me all over town and show all their friends their Gingo Cousin...  Just as we would in the US..

Just my .02 cents, take it or leave as you like,

Jim

Thanks for your input.  I was expressing my thoughts, and experiences.  Please re-read the first few sentences.  You are married to an Ecuadorian, you live in Quito, you are male.  I left the US, lived in several countries in Europe, have travelled to over 55 countries.  Am quite happily re-settled back in Europe.  Wanted to give Ecuador a try, and did.  Expressed my opinion.  Hopefully, others will not fall into the financial rip-off pit many of us have.

The only place on your list I have't been to is Israel.  Have been to Oman, Egypt, and Morocco, in that part of the world. Did not go to Israel because I was told (correctly or not) that I could not visit with the same passport, so didn't try.

I felt unsafe because of medical care I received, which I'm sure you'll disagree with as well.  As far as personal safety, never had a problem.  Took busses all over, walked the city streets, solo, until 11PM, without a problem, ever.  I'm very aware of my surroundings, know where I'm safe and where I'm not safe, and do not make foolish choices.  I don't understand where you got the idea that I was concerned about personal safety.  Getting bumped on the sidewalk is not a safety issue, it's an annoyance that I got tired of. Others have expressed the same opinion to me.  However, as you know it's imperative to be careful of what you say because of the slander laws.

Yes, I'm aware of the rip-offs world wide.  Again, I was just pointing out specific rip-offs in CUENCA that happened to me, and seem to be rather ubiquitous. I overheard an Aussie couple in the attorney's office expressing their fears that they'd run out of money because the attorney messed their immigration up as well, and it cost them $8,000 to go back, then return.  I really don't care what others do, I'm expressing what happened to me, and what I know has happened to others.  Forewarned is forearmed.  Attorneys and facilitators are not needed.  Immigration people do not charge, and are very kind and helpful.  Joe of C2C, who brings containers in, gives excellent advice, and does not charge for the information. His containers come through without a hitch because he prepares his clients, and has helped those who did not necessarily use his service but had problems.

Some gringo hangouts in Cuenca are Whitehorse Cafe, Coffee Tree, San Sebas.  Check them out.  And I'm also fully aware of the 'gringo' connotation in other Latin countries that does not exist in Ecuador.  If you took offense that I meant it otherwise, I apologize. 

As AMDG said, I don't expect any country to adapt to me.  If I don't want to adapt to it's quirks, I leave.  I don't stay and continuously complain.  Taken from the Yiddish meshuge  is meshuga.  One of their slang proverbs is if you have compatible meshuga, you are happy.  My meshuga is Europe. For fun, the on-line Merriam Webster dictionary has a wonderful list of possibilities for the word.

Venom is venom girl and you do none of us Americans any favors with such blistering commentary of the entire Spanish community.
Do those of us who have elected to stay here a favor, cease and desist from anymore broad stroked condemning statements.
AND PLEASE DON"T respond to me or us but I doubt you can.

Bravo Zulu.....

"Ecuador has many wonderful experiences to offer, many great people, stunning beauty, amazing fruits and vegetables completely new to me. Those are the things I will greatly miss."

My second sentence in the original post.  You sir, are closed minded, and refuse to accept any opinion but that of your own. If one is not in full agreement, then that other person is venomous. You sir, are the one who makes North Americans look bad.  Life has many options, and I chose a different option for myself, for my own reasons. Totalitarian governments and bullies deny others' right to a differing opinion, which is precisely what you have tried to do.  You sir, will not tell me what I can/cannot do, where I can/cannot do it, and what I can/cannot say.

The above post confirms what  GMC(SW) and tfpob said………

1. RESPONDING TO "LEFTCLIQUE":   to call some of the smartest people in the investment world used car salesmen is showing who U are: uneducated and unaware... perhaps u do not have much to invest... in that case the anger is understandable but not graceful.

2, a useful link to find a number of well known investors blogs:  http://jimroger.blogspot.com/... if u scroll down , on the left side there are links to the blogs of a number of well known investors

Sorry gals but you can't and shouldn't chastise in one broad stroke the entire third largest community on the earth. I am far from closed minded but I am very aware that these comments are NOT JUST read by us and they are readily reviewed routinely by the Spanish folks around the globe and in particular LA and SA.
The commentary you challenge my reply on as being closed minded was condemning, damaging and just simply wrong in this forum. You also don't get to be judge and jury. Many other respondents took exception as well so inventory on your end is probably in order.
We are in their land and not vice versa. COURTESY starts at the keyboard and you'd do well to remember this is an open and well read blog that isn't  just read by Gringos ( Hi Vinny & others). Wrong is wrong regardless of your perception and I was not alone in taking exception to the broad stroke torpedo approach,.
Have a nice day

I have to say that I am in agreement with tfpob. We ARE NOT the only readers of this blog. As a matter of fact, my wife and I where out to dinner with several family members, just last night who have taken interest in reading this blog as well as others.

They found it ironic and comical, that in numerous threads there was a good deal of blue on blue, or American vs. American aggression. I pointed out that Americans often, "Agree to disagree". Although they did indicate that the blogs were interesting and insightful as to how people view their country, they were not overly annoyed by any one thing in particular.

I at this point don't feel that pursuing this thread any further would be of any benefit to anyone. All are free to express their opinion as they see it. So why don't we just chalk it up to "A failure to communicate in a meaningful way", and get on with our day.

I wish you all a good weekend

Agreed GMC,  good thing not everyone has the same perspective, likes and dislikes, it would be very boring indeed. However, differing opinions/experiences should be respected.  Am very happily settled in Europe, as you are very happily settled in Ecuador.  Cherry pie is still my favorite, and I love good goulash.