Still looking at Ecuador!

Concerned about medical.  It looks like after age 65 you cannot get private medical. Is this true?  We are 66 and 68.  I have high blood pressure, high cholestral and A-Fib.  Are the hospitals in Ecuador divided into public and private like Mexico?

.. just contributing ideas.. Western medicine is only 200 years old... medications have side effects and most often make the illnesses/imbalances worse... There is homeopathy, herbology that can actually HEAL... so why so severely limit yourself??
I have been introduced to a good homeopath in Quito and i am pleased using him. People tell me there are good acupuncturists..  Herbology is the traditional way of healing and is super effective in skilled hands.
.. just a thought... (i do not use western medicine... know nothing about hospitals )
Best

Thanks for the reply.  It is a genetic thing - runs in the family.  One sister who believes in and practises homeopathy had to undergo a quint bypass.  The other one who also looks after herself has had two stents.  That's why I am a little concerned about their hospital/medical care.  Thanks for the thought though!

Sorry.  I am always involved in some in healing  because i have a child with a vaccine injury.... at least back home.. within a few months.. i usually come up with good resources...  here language is an issue.... but if i understand the issue more... over a few months i may come up with good resources... - if this is of interest... you could email me privately.. i think u can do this on the blog.. 
Best, Olga

mason36 wrote:

Concerned about medical.  It looks like after age 65 you cannot get private medical. Is this true?  We are 66 and 68.  I have high blood pressure, high cholestral and A-Fib.  Are the hospitals in Ecuador divided into public and private like Mexico?

Mason:

I don't have insurance yet, but I understand there is private insurance for over-65s by local companies. There also are international insurers (you can do a Google search for 'expat insurance', or ads will sometimes pop up here on expat-blog). The international companies are sometimes sort of expensive. There is also IESS, the national insuance, which (I believe) resident expats can join. The price, I am told, is low but services are somewhat basic. Don't take my word on that, I'm just passing on what I've heard.

Yes, there are both private and public hospitals.

Ecuador offers health insurance under IESS ( iess.gob.ec) similar to US Social Security and Medicare program. Check out this site for more information:huffingtonpost.com/kathleen-peddicord/retire-to-ecuador_b_4561063.html.

Thanks!  Will check it out.