Life in Erbil, Iraq. Security concerns.

Hello everyone,

I am a Mexican male and will be working soon in Erbil, Iraq for an American company. As I do not know much about Iraq besides what usually comes in the news (mostly regarding hostilities and war zone issues). I was wondering what are the real security concerns and risks that I would be facing, specially as local people would consider me a foreigner (most likely an American working for an American company). Any help or advice are very welcomed.

Lex

Hi, donŽt worry about security in Erbil, everything is ok.

My husband and I are also mexicans... and live in Erbil, my husband has been living here the last 4 months while I just arrived and havenŽt had any concern regarding security.

We are still settling down, though, but you will feel more relax if your read more about it in the blog where many expats have talked about the same subject you are asking for.

¡Qué bueno que hay un mexicano más en Erbil!

Hi... do not worry about security issue at erbil every thing good .... but do not cross the south checkpoint the way to Kirkuk- Baghdad there is red zone.... but inside erbil every thing good.

bakoor

Hello,

Just reading about the recent spate of violence afflicting Iraq with attacks in Kirkuk and Mosul. Hope all is well and safe in Erbil and Suleimanyah and that people there do not fear of anything coming there way!

Hello guys! My husband had a job offer from Erbil and at this moment I want to figure out the situation with safety there. What about foreighn workers? Do they still there? Could anyone update the information?

Oudrey wrote:

Hello guys! My husband had a job offer from Erbil and at this moment I want to figure out the situation with safety there. What about foreighn workers? Do they still there? Could anyone update the information?

Perhaps an online search will give you the information. Just Google 'security situation Erbil'

Thank u, Kep!
If I got something noticeable I would't ask.  ;)

I am travelling to Erbil next week. How is the security-situation?

Yesterday one guy made a video on my request about the situation in Erbil http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ec66ToPIVXc If you know russian - it will be helpful.

For those who don't speak it, the situation in few words: at the moment it is very safe in Erbil. 2 months ago ISIL were just in 15 km from the city, but then most European countries and America (it has big interest in Kurdistan) intruded in the conflict and made terorists run away. Now they stay in 300 km from Erbil and there left only few of them.

In Kirkuk situation is 50/50. Not so safe. Explosions still happen there time to time.

In Mosul - terorist control it and you shouldn't go there by no means.

.Hello guys! My husband had a job offer from Erbil by mext month i want to figure out the situation with safety there.. pls inform me