I'd like to move to Tampico, but Mexico scares me. Opinions, please!

Hi folks, I spent a week in Ecuador (Guayaquil, Manta, and Bahia De Carraquez last June. I don't want to commit moving there before I try Mexico.  I live in Texas, so Mex would be closer.  However, I must be honest with myself: Mexico scares me.  I hear there are SO many reasons to be thrown in jail.  Everyone steals.  The police are maybe worse than the criminals.  I've heard of bandit raid in the country sections of Verzcruz.  Please let me know if I'm imagining all this.  I'm planning on a bus trip from my town to Tampico soon.  Please let me know if I'm worrying about nothing.  Thanks.

Due to press reports, your response is reasonable and normal.  However, the press most frequently reports the truth, but not the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, so help me, God.  I live in Mexico in the belly of the beast in terms of cartel violence.  We have a nice little adobe place we built in a rural area up against the mountains northwest of Cd. Victoria. During this entire war episode against the cartels, there have been numerous inter-cartel skirmishes, heavy engagements between Army or Naval Infantry units against the cartel units or gaggles (the military always wins), and various police elements and the cartel people (the police, especially the federal police, almost always win).
     Corruption continues, but not to the famous levels of 1970 - 1982 during the infamous administrations of Luis Echeverria Alvarez and Jose Lopez Portillo.  That set the mind's view of many Americans about Mexican corruption.  It is still not a perfect situation, but I will tell you that in my necessary dealings with the government at all levels there has been no corruption or shake-downs.   I have suffered few such episodes even including the Echeverria and Lopez Portillo period.   Our family has been active in legitimate activity and business in Mexico (some of it not far from Tampico, relatively) since the 1880s.
     I have been asked to intercede for Americans who have been involved in criminal legal issues in Mexico, and in each case the American was guilty of something, by his/her own admission.  The cavernous, labyrinthine judicial process in Mexico ranges from hopelessly inefficient, to corrupt, to sometimes fairly functional.   The authorities, even the shady ones who (who become fewer as the days go by) really do not want a gringo in the police detention or state jail in his district.  The truth is that in 99% of the cases of legal transgression the authority wants to get rid of the burr under the saddle that a gringo presents.
     In your case, I would try to get my feet wet.   Tampico/Madero/Altamira metroplex is a fascinating urban madness.  It has a lot of tropical aire, it has incredible food even at streetside stands....at 1st and 2nd clas full scale restuarants, and at fancy linen and silver deluxe places.  It is bustling, a bit noisy, international in a way....lots of English surnamed people from the foreign oil operations days, old-tyme Chinese Mexicans from the railroad period in the 1870s and the port activity, and even Totonac and Huastec Indians who still come into the big city to sell crafts and buy supplies for their farms out to the west.   There is a lot of French blood lines there and to the south and southwest from the Positivist farmers, ranchers, and educators who were invited in during the 1870s by President Lerdo y Tejada to "beef up" the agricultural and indigenous education systems.   Gringos are an esteemed element in the area, but throwing beer mugs into the 10,000 dollar mirror behind the bar at your favourite saloon is really not a recommended activity.   If you were to watch the movie, Treasure of the Sierra Madre with Humphrey Bogart all the way through, it will give you a bit of an idea of the reality.   Things have changed in the sense that everyone has a cellular telephone, almost everyone has a computer or access to a computer.
    Excellent inter-city 1st class and deluxe bus service abounds, the people are civil (albeit occupied and busy), water and food are good, beer and ice cream and packaged junkfood is better, in Tampico (Madero) the beach ranges from easily survivable to elegant at times.   There is a little less garbage and litter as each day goes by.
    To avoid problems with the violence about which you hear, 99% of that is solved simply by not becoming involved with the drug trafficking people.   Most of the killing you hear about is cartel people killing cartel people.  More troubling is the "secuestro" (kind of an "express kidnapping")that plagues people of the upper and middle income groupings. The general citizenry has become emboldened however, and are more and more willing to "drop a dime" on perpetrators to the Army or Naval Infantry hot lines (very quick response) and even now with the newly developed Policia Federal, a military-style civilian police agency that is proving to be about 99% as good as the Army and Naval Infantry.  There has been slow degradation of the "secuestradores" and a bit quicker dialysis of the corruption within local and national, State, and local police and judicial systems.   The trek is long before us still, but evidence of improvement cannot be denied.  Even opposition parties give Calderon Hinojosa begrudging credit for having fought the good fight and for having won much of the "War".  The new President incoming has made all kinds of public and private pledges to continue the War....and this has wide approval among the general Mexican population and the overwhelming majority of the resident foreign population.
      This could go on forever, because Mexico is like the five blind men trying to describe an elephant.   But I would recommend that you spend some time in and around the Tuxpan, Vera Cruz State area, not far from Tampico.  Spend a month there. Also, although it is very gringo-occupied, it is still a 99.9% central Mexican, heavily Indian w/ a sizable White colonial population and traditions from both that are pleasant, and that is San Miquel de Allende.   There is a large American/Canadian/British presence there....perhaps 10,000 permanent and semi-permanent people....who are between somewhat to totally "Mexicanized".   They don't just love it...cold beer, incredible eats, stunning colonial architecture and ambiance, no stop-lights, honest government, perpetual late Spring weather, totally advanced and totally, totally stuck in the past, and that is SAN MIGUEL de ALLENDE, GUANAJUATO.  I would also recommend GUANAJUATO, GUANAJUATO...which is an entire city that is an official National Historical Monument...wherein 5/6s of the city is frozen in the colonial period...Spanish tourists say it is more "Spain" than Spain.  It is not a movie mock-up, but a living, bustling State Capital with 20 or so different integral economic, cultural, educational, agricultural and political foundations.   Indescribable.
    Oddly, you might like to take the bus to a dump like Valles, San Luis Potosi and hang around at the Hotel Valles for about a month...taking side trips to Cd. General Santos Tancinhuitz, Aquismon, and Xilitla, as well as Tamuin and Tempoal - all the latter places dominated to this day by the Upper and Lower Huastec Indian nation...fully integrated into the Mexican identity, but also integrated unto themselves...you have to see it and live it to appreciate it.   But it will give you a really good, positive, AND realistic sense of the good and the problematic of hanging around in Mexico.
    I prosper in the madness, and enjoy it immensely. 

Thanks for your time and interest.
El Gringo Viejo

I live in Puerto Valalrta, Jalsico Mexico
I moved here from Canada 7 years ago. I love it, nothing bad has ever happend to me or my children. You of course just need to be prudent like any other country. Dont travel highways at night, be kinds and dont flash alot of money. Its not as dangerous as the news in the USA make it look, most violence is concentrated in the three boarder cities. Like Detriot, Miami, New York, Las Vegas ...this doesnt stop people from visiting those places ..but they seem to gag thier news a little better than the Mexican goverment does. Good luck.

p.s there is a HUGE Canadian and American Community here, and in Lake Chapala. YOu should look into it.

hey mex is somewhat safe just dont look like a scared anglo. go about your business as usual.. give respect you will get mucho more back..i have lived all over mex last 50 years when i was not working ..currently retired live in mxs.full tlme is a cheaper option than us.  cost me for food house all bills / house keeper 2 bed 1 bath house 450. us dollars per month in veracruz mx about 400 per mth. text if you want more info ..iam on yahoo instant mess. some time i check e mail a few times a day      bye for now i am a male 65 yrs old i have not been scarred

Sounds awesome guys and gals, I like Mexico and would love to check it out, but as you know, our news media likes to sensationalize everything for the sake of the story, no matter how true or false it is!!! If your into drugs and are messing with someone's territory, then you get what you deserve.

Kurt....

is it true you can't fish/eat fish in Lake Chapala due to pollution?

hi if you want i will be back home in juarez mx 7 23 2013 you can come down and find out yourself i can show you around alittle talk you to moving to mx i lived all over mx for 66 years and no trouble just e me iam retired male will help if i can email and i can send my skype number we can talk have fun  later that goes for anyboby read this post anybody need info just e mail

I have lived in Merida in the Yucatan and would like to return to Mexico, maybe Tampico or Veracruz. The problem is that I have four large American bulldogs and do not want to bring my car. I want to live on my tourist visa going back and forth to the Texas border as required to renew. The question is how do I get my four dogs and myself to Tampico? I can not afford to fly the dogs to Mexico. And I do not want to take my car to Mexico. Is there any ground transportation that will transport me and my dogs from the TX border to Tampico? And how do I locate a cheap rental in the centro part of Tampico? My Spanish is limited!   Yes, I am asking a lot, but I can no longer afford to live in the States on just S.S. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Pete Roland

Eddie, the U.S. media survives on hysteria. The problems are primarily at the border of the U.S. and I'm sure you must understand why. The further you get from the U.S. the safer it gets. Look for places that are not close to the border. By close I mean less than 100 miles. If you want to see where the problems are use the Stanford crime map to get an idea.
http://stanford.edu/~dkronick/mexico_crime/ If you compare it to the crime rates in the U.S. you should get a pretty clear picture.

To begin, make certain that you have the dogs' certificates of inoculation for rabies.  Then, I would be front up, and go to any Mexican friend or to some reasonable individual...and simply ask..."Who has a van or a pick-up with a camper that can do me a favour.  I need to take my four bulldogs to Tampico."  Make sure you have their papers in hand, and make sure that you have sturdy cages.
     The issue about security was never as bad as it sounded in actuarial terms.   It was bad...and it was a miserable episode.  The Mexican Army and Naval Infantry have done an all-but-incredible job in recovering about 98% of the effective national territory.   It will be many years, in my opinion before the civilian authority will significantly lessen  the pressure placed on the anti-cultural elements by the Military.  Right now, going down to Tampico with what few papers you need, is about as safe as taking an elevator to the 5th floor of the bank building in Topeka.
     I live in a rural settlement northwest of Cd. Victoria, out up against the mountains.  Victoria is, as you probably know, the capital of the State of Tamaulipas, the State wherein Tampico is situated.  We have a little bed and breakfast there that we built...all abode...very rustic but well appointed...and we have been receiving a bit of a revival of visitors after about an 18 month hiatus.  I have remained "at my post' continually save for some deaths in the family in Texas....folk who were very, very elderly.

I would urge, very vigorously, that you go down to Tampico first and find your place,   Your desire to be in the Centre of the city has both its ups and downs....I find the centre to be charming and well endowed with saloons, restaurants, and public areas...and it is worn..but generally clean and civilised.  It is a city, along with adjancent Cd. Madero and Alta Mira....massive amounts of industrial, commercial, educational, sports, cultural, and touristic activity.  It can become a bit stifling in the Summer, and there are the tropical weather involvements...but Tampico has survived all of that and the German U-boats as well.   Great food at all classes and levels.....

Once you find your place, you will have encountered some Mexican fellow who will take you back to McAllen, pick up your dogs, help you pack and drive you back down to Tampico.  NOW...the reason that you go to Tampico first  is to talk to the hotel owner or manager...and other people you find to be reasonable in your estimation....and they will recommend some reliable fellow to do the transportation.  There is always someone.   You need to know ahead of time if he has a Mexican passport, a "mica" for border crossing and entry  (essentially an American entry visa), and the nature of his conveyance and charges.  It's a long day's drive to McAllen from Tampico...and the bridge line etc.  Try and cross into the McAllen area on a Thursday, mid-day or mid-afternoon.   You should also pay the gasoline and demand to know what the driver/owner of the pick-up would accept for the service in payment.

The hotel people where you stay....like the on-the-plaza de Armas in the very centre of Tampico's downtown...are very reliable and they will not steer you wrong.  Remember also, there "hurrieder you go, the behinder you will wind up."   So it would be a little better to invest a little more time and money in these preparations, and find a nice apartment or home for lease or rent and a recommendable man for the transfer.  That is the way I would do it, and I have been living and doing business in Mexico for all my life...and my family has been involved in business in Mexico since the 1880s.
Any further communication please forward to [email protected] and I shall be more than glad to assist or advice.   You can see our little adobe home at privatouring.blogspot.com
El Gringo Viejo
aka David Christian Newton

Eddie54 wrote:

....   Please let me know if I'm worrying about nothing.  Thanks.

Hi Eddie, :)

People worry for a reason.
Eliminate the reason and the worry will vanish like steam in the air ...  :)

I have lived in Mexico for the last 7 years and originally hail from the UK. Mexico is amazing, historically, geographically and culturally but...after 7 years here I have realised that there is no law in Mexico. You can live very happily here until you need the law to help you. That is when  you realise that if you don't have money and connections then you are powerless. There are many more victims in Mexico than there are victors.

We invested in a house as soon as we arrived in Mexico and paid all of our savings. Soon we realised that there was a problem with the company which seemed a bit shady so we asked for a refund of our deposit. The company promised but nothing. We spent nearly two years going through the government departments and nothing. The company then disappeared leaving us with a half built house and no deeds. We were told that Mexican law says that we would have to wait for 5 years before we could gain rights to the house. We fixed the house up and lived there for a couple of years. We moved out only temporarily to make some structural changes when a Policewoman with the help of the neighbourhood guard took over the house. We have since been threatened by the woman and her family and the chief of police refuses to do anything as apparently she is a hero who was wounded in action when her patrol car was attacked by the zetas. We are now at a loss of what to do and feel scared for our safety.   

So be very careful what you invest in and who you trust. Mexico is a dog eat dog country.

This is off the topic,  but i have a question concerning fmm tourist card.  Can you exit once a month on border town on fmm without any problems and how would they know? If you did? Thanks

I think your story points out some very important things.
1. do research on the area, Torreon for instance has had major crime problems for at least 5 years and is one of the most dangerous areas. 2. It is a mistake to move to Mexico and immediately buy property. 3. It is a mistake to not fully investigate anyone you buy property from, or assume just because you have paid money to an "agent" the property is yours. No deed, no property. "If you think this only happens in Mexico, it doesn't. With the Internet, con artists have just become more sophisticated around the world allowing them to operate from their home and commit crimes in their country of choice."

I'm sorry you got taken, but it wasn't the fault of the police, or the woman who likely bought the property you had no deed for.. Hopefully your story will help others.

I have lived in Tuxpan, Veracruz, Mexico for six years and have been visiting this city for 20 years.  I have many friends here now and also am working as an English Teacher.  Tuxpan is on the Gulf Coast, about a 3 hour drive south of Tampico.  I would not suggest living in Tampico unless you have an important connection there.  Especially in light of the recent violence.  However, the media DOES exagerate the violence here in Mexico.  The major majority of the violence is on the border, which is really not Mexico at all.  I love this country and, Lord willing, will die here.  We have had NO violence problems here in Tuxpan.  It is a municipality of about 140,000 people, so is pretty small by Mexican standards.  I have not Heard of the problems you mentioned in Veracruz.  This is a beautiful state, with over 700 kilometers of pristen beaches, jungles, mountains and even some high desert.  I have been married to a Mexican national for 3 and a half years and hope to start the nationalization process this year.  Let me know if you have any other questions.  Blessings!

DanTucker57 wrote:

I have lived in Tuxpan, Veracruz, Mexico for six years and have been visiting this city for 20 years.  I have many friends here now and also am working as an English Teacher.  Tuxpan is on the Gulf Coast, about a 3 hour drive south of Tampico.  I would not suggest living in Tampico unless you have an important connection there.  Especially in light of the recent violence.  However, the media DOES exagerate the violence here in Mexico.  The major majority of the violence is on the border, which is really not Mexico at all.  I love this country and, Lord willing, will die here.  We have had NO violence problems here in Tuxpan.  It is a municipality of about 140,000 people, so is pretty small by Mexican standards.  I have not Heard of the problems you mentioned in Veracruz.  This is a beautiful state, with over 700 kilometers of pristen beaches, jungles, mountains and even some high desert.  I have been married to a Mexican national for 3 and a half years and hope to start the nationalization process this year.  Let me know if you have any other questions.  Blessings!

Dan your comments seem a lot out of touch with current affairs in Mexico and your comment about border cities or regions not being the "real Mexico" is way off. Sorry to disagree with your synopsis but you are in the middle of Los Zetas territory and extortion and gang related activities are abundat where Los Zetas are.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-10681249

Violence is everywhere. Build a life that works for you. Shit happens too! Live in fear and what kind of life is that. I suggest meditating on how you see your life and follow your intuition. I live in central Mexico and it is beautiful and dangerous. I lived in an affluent neighborhood in the US and it was dangerous as well. I have four kids. My son was beat up last month by two drunk teenagers. This can happen in the US too. I donŽt see it as a country thing, I see it as a life thing. bankrupt governments, loss of purchasing power, high food and health costs....recipe for bad behavior EVERYWHERE. Choose your path. Make wise choices daily. And enjoy life. Intuition.

keethash569 wrote:

Violence is everywhere. Build a life that works for you. Shit happens too! Live in fear and what kind of life is that. I suggest meditating on how you see your life and follow your intuition. I live in central Mexico and it is beautiful and dangerous. I lived in an affluent neighborhood in the US and it was dangerous as well. I have four kids. My son was beat up last month by two drunk teenagers. This can happen in the US too. I donŽt see it as a country thing, I see it as a life thing. bankrupt governments, loss of purchasing power, high food and health costs....recipe for bad behavior EVERYWHERE. Choose your path. Make wise choices daily. And enjoy life. Intuition.

A positive attitude is always desirable, and it doesn't pay to worry obsessively, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't realistically look at all options in an open manner and know the facts before you decide where to live.
There are focused areas where violence is more likely in Mexico, but because guns are not legal, much of the rest of mexico is more livable if you choose wisely. Not every state in Mexico has a high crime rate, but pretty much every state in the U.S. does. Smaller towns in Mexico have minor traffic accidents reported in their news papers, where small towns in the U.S. are busy reporting the latest shooting, in a mall, restaurant, school or parking lot close by.The children in mexican schools don't have off duty cops in attendance, use metal detectors, have lock down drills or put children in handcuffs. The U.S. has more pollution, more toxic chemicals and more unsafe food. The U.S. allows toxins and food practices that are illegal here as well, as the E.U.
It's beyond serendipity, and all countries are not the same.

I've lived in a working-class neighborhood here in Tampico for the past ten years. There have been problems, and shots have been fired, but never at me. As long as you stay away from drug dealers and certain bars, you'll be fine. For me, I wouldn't live anywhere else; the people are laid-back and the food is fantastic!

I live in a rural area between Monterry and Cd. Victoria in an adobe house we constructed beside a beautiful, cypress lined, spring-fed river.  We have over 450 species of birds on an annualised basis, and we are not even bird watchers.  We were/are in the belly of the beast of the recently passed cartel wars.   We are here and they are largely gone and/or severely diminished thanks to the Mexican Army and Naval Infantry.  Our place and our family's activity in Mexico since the 1880s continues.
     If one desires security before liberty, he will obtain neither.   And Hessier's words are the best to follow.  Enjoy, give without patronising, eat, drink, worship, care, care for yourself....if a bunch of Mexicans are standing in line at a taco stand on the street and the stand seems to be remotely clean....eat there.   Find three bars....first class, deluxe, and second class...drink a lot but not too much....enjoy the botanas....leave a large but not too large tip.
     Carry small bills and large coins....wear no flashy jewelry....speak Spanish....poorly or well.

Now, you are happy.
El Gringo Viejo

10 - 4

I don't understand these posts, worry worry worry.  WHY?

Maybe it is because I am a "little old lady" and Mexicans respect their elders (I moved to Playas at 75 alone, no prior knowledge of the area and not speaking Spanish)  but I have not found any reason to be truly fearlul living in Playas which is technically the beach area of Tijuana. I do not live in an expat area. I like being around locals..... hanging out with expats is not going to give me knowledge of 'real life' in Mexico.

I walk on the the beach front blvd and on the beach, I walk to the mall, 18 blocks, I walk around my middle class Mexican neighbor hood, ... alone, but not after dark of course.  I taught a night time class in English at a "mission" in the red light district of Tijuana for about a year. I was more afraid of the crazy drivers in that section of TIjuana  than anything else. I stayed out of  down town Tijuana except for ZONE RIO which is an upscale area with a very large Mall, numerous movie theaters, (and my dentist) very close to the border.  I can cross the border easily from Playas....if I get a hankering for Macy's or Bloomingdales.  :)  I can take Amtrak to LA and from there go anywhere if I get an urge to travel.

However I prefer TIjuana's airport to San DIego or LAX.  Just as many destinations. Comparable or cheaper fares. No TSA.

There are areas in Orange County (where I lived before coming to Mexico) where I will not go.....same with Los Angeles...........no Watts, no Compton. no Skid Row area in downtown LA. 

Friends in California etc send me frantic emails when the media there prints something about a "situation"  or "tragedy" in Mexico. 

There are NO guarantees in life no matter where you choose to live.
Look at life in a foreign country as  a great adventure, use common sense about what you do or do not do,  and welcome every new experience, acquaintance and happening.  You will find that adventure is fun!  (or of course stay at  home and miss something you shouldn't have missed). You are only as nervous or fearlull as you want to be! ENJOY! .

Stop worrying, grab your toothbrush and come to Mexico.

I have lived in Mexico for 8 years and there are some amazing things in this country but just hope to God you don't have any legal issues down here. I tried to buy a house and was a victim of fraud. It later turned out the construction company was  linked to one of the cartels. The profeco and the procuraduría  were absolutely no help. The only advice they could give me was to move into the house and after 5 years it would be placed in my name. We did that but while we were away a police officer broke into the house and took over it. When we reported it to the Torreon police we were tailgated by armed police trucks on two occasions. It then later turned out to be the friend of the vice principal of the international school I work at. The mayor of the city, Riquelme, pretended to help but did nothing and the British embassy has told us that if they get too involved they could put my family in more danger that it probably already is. We have been caught in three balaceras, one where my 5 year old daughter witnessed two men being killed and we have seen bodies hanging from bridges. The violence has calmed down but I have always compared the life here to walking in a beautiful Jungle, it is very calm and often beautiful but when you least expect it some huge carnivorous animal can leap out of the bush at you.

May I suggest you venture to the Central highlands. San Miguel has many Texans and expats but not so many as they overwhelm the Mexican culture. My husband is Canadian and I work with expats every day. Happy to answer questions and many of your questions may be answered on my FB page.

There is a direct bus from Texas to San Miguel de Allende.

sincerely

Sonia

Hi;
I appreciate your opinion of Tampico.  A friend and I have planned a 3 week trip there at the Dona Juana Cecilia Miramar, on the beach.  The arrangements were made a bit hastily and did not see the American tourist warning until after arrangements were made.  However you said that respect and knowing places not to go were essential.  Could you give us some tips, please.

Barry

Where did this happen? I hope everything is well now.

100% in agreement with you !!  Even though what you describe seems as the plot of  a fiction novel,  everything is absolutely TRUE !!  Dangerous place, lurking dark situations.  I've lived here for more than 8 years but, it's time to leave.    Blessings,  Take care.

You sound like a very cool old lady  :)  Hope i have that same vigor and enthusiasm for life when i'm 75.

What part of Mexico did this all occur in?

You really have to think it two or more times, things are really bad in that area. I live in Mexico at Veracruz is the state down to the south. You dont want to live there.

We are not planning to move to Tampico...how is it for a three week holiday???

Not a good idea, If you can avoid this relocation it will be wise. The area is very dangerous. My  neighbor use to travel to Tampico for his comany an he quit because it was very unsafe.

El Gringo Viejo,
Thank you for you thoughtful insight into Mexico.  You obviously have the experience to speak confidently on the subject.  You also are not able to hide your love of Mexico. 

I appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts on Mexico. 

I can't wait to move to Mexico and enjoy it as you do.

New Mexico Vaquera
Patryka

Finally found you!!  Thank you for your kind words.  I shall be in McAllen for a few more days, taking care of the older folks (I am just old, so I have to take care of some of the "older" folks).

My advise is free, and therefore pretty much worth the price.  We shan't mislead or sell you anything, and we do invest in our observation and advice the absolute truth of experience that our family has had with Mexico since the 1880s.

We retire.  Please stay in touch.

El Gringo Viejo

As a retired American immigrant with ample savings and a good pension, I'm sure I would be a crime target.  If kidnapping and abductions area a problem, count me out.  There are much nicer places in the world without professional criminals who target North Americans.

For example, in Puerto Rico, an immigrant from mainland U.S.A. blends into the general population like a tree in a forest or a needle in a haystack.  In other countries like the DR, it might not be as easy for an well-off North American to blend in.

jamesj24 wrote:

As a retired American immigrant with ample savings and a good pension, I'm sure I would be a crime target.  If kidnapping and abductions area a problem, count me out.  There are much nicer places in the world without professional criminals who target North Americans.

You make some interesting choices James. Tampico is not somewhere I would choose. Then puerto rico , which was nearly erased from the map by hurricanes.

Tampico is in a oil driven state and is not a stranger to drugs and violence, plus it is a lot closer to Mexico city which I would definitely avoid for now at least.

So what are you looking for exactly ? If it's tropical beach areas?  you should look at the Yucatan. It is stable and pretty free of the problems Tampico has.

There are other people who can comfortably retire with savings and or a pension. You are not an exception.

I do think if I were you I would quit mentioning having money and being a target. That is definitely not the way to go. If you are not wearing very expensive jewelery and announcing that you have money, you should be fine in an area south of where you seem to be looking.  I travel between places like Villahermosa and as far south as Chetumal and have no problems. I was just in Cancun recently. Like any other country, there are places you should avoid, most of them are on the border with Texas, but you picked one of those more south.
The DR is the source of most of the very heavy drugs entering the U.S.   You either need a different information source, or a different map with all of the dangerous places marked.

Agree very much with what T LITE is saying.By the way,are you working for this lot at present,because if so why not direct the SMA traffic to the corresponding forum.SMA in general has no baring what so ever on the rest of Mexico,and they sure can clutter the place up con sus pendejadas.Tampico seems like a fine town,

stinkyboy1 wrote:

Agree very much with what T LITE is saying.By the way,are you working for this lot at present,because if so why not direct the SMA traffic to the corresponding forum.SMA in general has no baring what so ever on the rest of Mexico,and they sure can clutter the place up con sus pendejadas.Tampico seems like a fine town,

You have a point there Stinky. SMA and Lake Chapala do have a life of their own.Yes  they asked me to act as  and expert on the expert team. It involves keeping things tidy on more than just the Mx forum

I figure the SMA/LC people pretty much take care of themselves. There is nothing much to do for them on the forum,  People post and a SMA or LC person responds. They are very dedicated to that life style, and that is fine. It's not my thing, your thing or something many others want. People who do not have an interest can just not respond. Lets see what others with different interests have to say

As for Tampico as the Washington post says
"In Tampico, Mexico, where the drug war rages, ‘the walls have ears"“Things are happening, often,” he said. “You need to take precautions.”

The person posting the question seems to have a knack for finding those types of places so why move to a place where " things are happening. often" ?  Better to be some place where things are tranquilo.'

How's the babe ?

This song belongs to the Great Jimmy Buffett, from his Album Changes in Latitudes, Changes in Attitudes.

I must look a mess I must admit
But I have been traveling quite a bit
South of the border where the law and order
Is kept by Federales who just grin
And tell you they just want to be your friend
They tell you they just want to be your friend
I left for Tampico last July
I jumped off that boat I almost died

There to greet us were pretty senoritas
I swore that I would not go home then
All those lovely ladies were my friends
All those sweet Chiquita's they don't pretend