Looking for special places to visit

Hello, my name is Francisco and I'm from Spain.

I will be in this country for a few months. I wanna spend my free-time visiting cities here.

Everybody told me that I have to go to Brugge and Gent.

Could you recommend me some other special place?

Thank you!

Hi Francisco,

Welcome to Expat.com :)

I created a new thread with your question on the Belgium forum for more visibility. :)

Thank you,

Priscilla  :cheers:

Thanks Priscilla !!

:D

Priscilla wrote:

Hi Francisco,

Welcome to Expat.com :)

I created a new thread with your question on the Belgium forum for more visibility. :)

Thank you,

Priscilla  :cheers:

Hola Rocío!
- Hi Rocio!

Muchas gracias por la recomendación! Amberes si que la conocía, pero es la primera referencia que tengo de Malinas  :)  He estado viendo algunas fotos en el Maps y la verdad es que parece una ciudad muy recomendable.
- Thanks for your recommendation! I heard about Antwerpen but it is the first recommendation I have received about Mechelen :) I have just seen some pictures by means of Google Maps and it seems a beautiful city which is worth visiting.

Yo estoy trabajando en la Universidad, en Namur, y el poco tiempo que me queda libre quiero aprovecharlo para ver nuevos sitios. Me han recomendado por aquí cerca de Namur, que visite la abadía abandonada que hay en Villers-la-Ville. Por su proximidad, intentaré acercarme una tarde al salir del trabajo.
- I'm working at the University of Namur, and I have a short free-time each week and I wanna spend this time to visit new places. I have received some recommendation about visiting an abandoned abbaye at Villers-la-Ville. As it is near to my job, I will try to go there after work.

Y otra última recomendación que he recibido es la de ir a un pueblo alemán junto a la frontera Belga, llamado Aachen. Dicen que merece la pena.
- And another last recommendation that I received is about a small german town near to the frontier between Belgium and Germany. The town is named Aachen.

Parece que ya tengo lugares para visitar, pero por favor...se aceptan muchas mas sugerencias  :top:
- It seems that I have some places to visit, but, please, ...any other recommendation will be well accepted :top:

Gracias!
- Thanks

P.S.: Sorry for my English  :(

RLlinas wrote:

Hola Francisco. Me llamo Rocío. Llevo aquí un par de semanas, aunque ya vine hace un año. Estoy aquí buscando trabajao pero también me encanta viajar. Yo te recomindo también Malinas y Amberes.

Un saludo

Rocío

Hola Rocio! ... la traducción al inglés en mi post es que la he puesto yo :-P
..jeje, s nota en lo mal que me traduzco yo mismo...

Tengo que animarme y subir a Bruselas... y pasar por Malinas, que las fotos lo muestran como una ciudad realmente atractiva...

Saludos!

RLlinas wrote:

Franciso te estoy escribiendo en español. No sé porque aparece la traducción al inglés. A mi también me gusta mucho viajar así que si necesitas compañera de viaje por mi perfect!!

Hi RLlinas and isntyouitsme - It would be much appreciated if you guys can keep it in English please :)

isntyouitsme wrote:

I will be in this country for a few months. I wanna spend my free-time visiting cities here.

Thank you!

Hi Fransisco,

This is some information that i know about visiting Belgium based on my experience:

Antwerp is an interesting city with some beautiful churches, an interesting castle called Het Steen, etc.

In Brussel, you can visit Manekenpis statue (please don't be surprised with the size of the statue), Grand Place, Art Museum, Jeanne kepis statue, and in front of Jeanne kepis, there is a bar called Delirium cafe served more than 2000 kind of beers. It is really a cool place to visit, then not far from Royal Palace, there is a beautiful Garden of Japanese Tower.

Bruges also really interesting with beautiful canal so you can walk along it and find some old building to visit.

Ostend, wide beach area is really cool place to visit too i think, so i suggest you to not miss it..

I am sure there are many other pretty places in Belgium that you can visit.

Cheers

Thank you, Enny Frans!

I saw a few pictures of Garden of Japanese Tower and I will write down like one of my "must-visit" :-)

I didn't know Jeanne kepis statue... Her "brother" statue, Maneken pis, was a bit disappointing for me :-(

And thanks for you recommendation about Ostend, it seems a pretty nice beach city to visit... (I can guess that it's not very recommended to swim now, with this weather...hehe)

I appreciate your recommendations!

Thanks!

Enny Frans wrote:
isntyouitsme wrote:

Thank you!

Hi Fransisco,

This is some information that i know about visiting Belgium based on my experience:

Antwerp is an interesting city with some beautiful churches, an interesting castle called Het Steen, etc.

In Brussel, you can visit Manekenpis statue (please don't be surprised with the size of the statue), Grand Place, Art Museum, Jeanne kepis statue, and in front of Jeanne kepis, there is a bar called Delirium cafe served more than 2000 kind of beers. It is really a cool place to visit, then not far from Royal Palace, there is a beautiful Garden of Japanese Tower.

Bruges also really interesting with beautiful canal so you can walk along it and find some old building to visit.

Ostend, wide beach area is really cool place to visit too i think, so i suggest you to not miss it..

I am sure there are many other pretty places in Belgium that you can visit.

Cheers

Jeanne Kepis is the girl version of Mannekepis. I think to visit the bar in front of it, is really really recommended. I brought a friend there and she was really happy when i show and introduce her that bar, called Delirium cafe. That bar is in Guinness world record for it's huge numbers of beer collection. It's in a hidden place as Jeanne kepis, not far from Grand Place, if you have GPS on your mobile, just follow it. I am sure it is another worthed experience for you in Brussel.

About Mannekepis, yes, many people are disappointed with the size of it. For me, it is cool with the story behind it and the way they dress him up many different clothes. I never see him naked, instead always see him in different clothes each time i passed by. Anyway, what important is you ticked the box for one of must visited places in Belgium by visited mannekepis LOL :).

yes, it is too cold to swim in the beach, but you can walk around and enjoy the sun there. I think hire a push bike will be cool ;)

Enjoy Belgium :)

Knokke, a beautiful place at the beach

Antwerpen: its a must!

Gent: is a must!

Brugge: is a must!

't Zwin, het verdronken land van Saeftingen, see this link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saeftinghe

Don't forget to visit some beautiful villages just across the Belgium border into the Netherlands such as Sluis.

Thank you both!

I think I could plan a day in north of Belgium, visiting beach cities like Knokke and Oostend. It would be a great plan!

Netherlands cities that you indicated are really beautiful, ...I begin to think that I don't have enough time for all of these places :-(

...and I agree with you Enny, Delirium cafe is a real must!

Good to hear, you don't have to waste your time while you are in Belgium.

Enjoy the trips to the max!