Confusion over martial status

I am in the process of putting together my paper work to apply for a pensioner's visa and a permanent visa,

In doing my research regarding martial status a question came up. I am single now but was divorced 20 years ago; do I still need to get a notarized copy of my divorce decree?

Thanks for any info.

John

Yes, you will need it. I suggest you get the translation in Ecuador. For some reason they did not accept my husbandŽs divorve decree translation from the States (it was notarized and seal it by the Ecuador consulate)

Thanks,

One additional question.

Will a divorce certificate work also. From all the official sites this is the one recommend by the  agencies that you get them from.

John

Please, let me explain something to you, so you will have the idea straigth and you can figure out what docs you need.

In Ecuador we have Registro Civil wich is a gov oficce that takes care all the info from citizens and residents (Civil Registration) 

when a Baby is born, parents goes to Civil Reg and they make a file for the baby. This file will be in a book, with a page number and file number.

So, they take the Born Alive Doc from the Hosp, ID (cédula) of the parents, birth cert and signutare of the parents too. (So, now the baby has his own page in a book)

When the baby is ready for his own ID (cédula) they take a pic of him/her and the finferprint, then they attach that info to his page on the book.

When the baby is an adult and get married they make a certificate and attach it to his page in the book.

If the baby one day gets divorce, they make a cert and attach it to the page (wich now has several pages, maybe they will add pages) in the book

Lets say the babyŽs wife dies, they attach a death cert in the book.

So, that is how our syst work. Of course other countries has different ways to deal with that kind of info. Sometimes the officers does not know that, so we explain to them that in my country the paperwork is done this way and that way, etc

BTW, in Ecuador is expect it that names are spell the same way everytime. So, the book in Civil Registration has the name always the same way. If someone misspell the names, there will be a extra paperwork in order to fix it.

So, if in your state what they has is Divorce certificate, is ok. Just be sure your names are spell it correct. (In this case they will compare the spell with your passport) and birth certificate.
All your paperwork should show your full name the same way.

And, why they want all the paperwork that way?
They will open a file for you in a book in Civil Registration. Your page, that has your parents name, place of birth, birth cert, divorce decree, pics, fingerprints, the date when you got your first cédula (wich is a national ID) If you get married again they will attach that info to the page in the book, etc etc

You dont need a lawyer for your paperwork. That is what I suggest. Better just find an interpreter (wich is cheapper) and get your paperwork by yourself. There is people who speaks english (in Migration Oficce)

You can do your visa paperwork in mayor cities Guayaquil, Quito or Cuenca.

Hope this info is helpfull!!

This is very helpful.  Getting this paperwork in the US can be difficult and expensive--but less expensive than flying home to get something that was missing or incorrect!  I just found out that my name was misspelled on my divorce certificate from 25 years ago!!  Thanks for your common sense explanation

Im very glad that my little "tips" are helpfull!!

BTW, I will suggest you get translation here, in Ecuador.

Why?

-The oficcer in Migration said they cant accept a notary stamp from the States because a Notary in America is not the same as in Ecuador. That is true. In Ecuador a Notary need to be a lawyer and get a high decree diploma as a Dr, Master, etc And besides, they get to Notary by a contest. They need to get a high A+ in several tests. (My uncle was a Notary for several years)

-A translator in Ecuador is cheaper than in the States. A expensive one who work for a lawyer was $20 per page (she was a gringo with no visa and we almost had a issue, people with no legal residence cant work in Ecuador. I did beg a lot and they accept the translation.

-A Notary stamp is also cheaper here. (cant remember very clear how much I paid, $5 or $20) they have several rates, depending of the kind of paperwork. You need to get the "reconocimiento de firma" "sign authentication"

God bless!

It depends on your status……I married a woman from Ecuador in the USSA and only needed our marriage certificate apostiled……...

MariaPiaBlog wrote:

-A Notary stamp is also cheaper here. (cant remember very clear how much I paid, $5 or $20) they have several rates, depending of the kind of paperwork. You need to get the "reconocimiento de firma" "sign authentication"

Maria:

Notarization in the US is very often free. Most banks have at least one employee who is a notary, and they will notarize documents free for their customers (and sometimes for anybody who asks). The apostille costs vary by state -- in Arizona it's $3, in Illinois I don't remember, but it was $5 or $10.

Some state documents are pre-notarized. My birth certificate (from Arizona) was printed with a notarization (by the county clerk) already on it.

Bob

Hey Bob!

That is something nice to hear:)

My husband got his birth certificate along to other paperwork, got it translate them notarized (there in the States) and then everyone here, ask for a ecuadorian translation and get it notarize again (for the reason that I explain above)

It was frustrated that he spend so much money for nothing.

BTW, apostille need to happen in the States (or country of origin) and then notarize it here in Ecuador.

That's interesting, Maria -- and it shows (again) how rules (or interpretations of rules) are so changeable. I just got my visa and I didn't have to re-notarize anything here -- they accepted the docs that I had had notarized (and, of course, apostilled) in the US.

I guess the lesson is to get things notarized/apostlled in the US (or wherever you're coming from), but don't be surprised if you have to do it again here.

Bob

In my experience, the answer is no, you will not need a notarized copy of your divorce doc. But just in case, have the divorce certificate to hand as it is quick and easy to go to a Notaria and get something notarized.
Russell Eaton
www.deliveredonline.com

Ok, I wrote a Blog about getting all our paper work together from Canada. You have to remember that Canada does not apostle like in the USA so slightly different rules. You may want to get in touch with your local Ecuadorian Consulate- the Toronto location was very helpful. In my case I needed my divorce papers translated & notarized because although I was remarried I had kept my first husbands name. See link to Blog about getting our papers together below:
http://uwepetrastravelyear.blogspot.com … chive.html
Good luck
Petra

Yes you have to get a notarized and apostilled then translated copy of your divorce papers. The translation if done here will have to be notarized and the translators signature excepted. Your Cedula when you get it will say "divorced" on it. No confusion, just Ecuador law. In rare cases you may get an agent that forgets to ask for the divorce papers, but the law says you do need them! The documents you will need to get notarized here are the copies you make here, like your passport picture and entry stamp. I am on the Chamber of Commerce committee for expats and try to keep current as the rules can change without notice. If you have any more questions please write and I will try to help.(no cost) BTW an apostle is not as confusing as it may sound! The secretary of state verifys by virtue of an apostil that the person who put the notary stamp on your document was legally entitled to do so. IE licensed as a notary. No more no less! ""Hague convention of 1986"" Good luck.

Canada (among other countries) is not a signatory to the treaty and so no apostille is required.  They have another process to validate it.
As mentioned above, the consulate is very helpful to provide guidance.
As for divorce, it depends on your present status.for example, if you are presently married (with a past divorce), do you need divorce papers?  I did not.

I am not familiar with the Canada procedures. I do know Canadian friends with visas and cedulas. I will ask one for the details. I know the visa office (mmrree) does many Canadians visas and excepts the validation method they do use. If you are remarried you do not need old divorce papers unless below. They sometimes ask for a new marriage certificate. If you apply for your visa with your wife as your "amparo" and she carries your name you will be fine. If not and she has kept her maiden name you will need the divorce papers. Once again to clarify notary: you only can get documents "copied" here notarized IE passport copies. The notary confirms the copy is a true copy of the original. If you get a copy of a document produced in the states they can notarize the copy as to being a true copy of the original as long as you take the original with you for comparison.  :)

good to have your divorce papers, but I think they are only necessary if you want to marry an Ecuadorian, as I am doing this year....for residency visa I don't think your former marriage is relevant, but I could be wrong...anyway, you don't need a notarized copy....if they want the form for some reason they would ask you to have it apostilled, which is different than notarized...good luck!

just came back from Cuenca and meeting with attorney.  ALL divorce decrees, marriage certificates, death
certificates etc must be supplied.  Especially for women (who change their name in  the US), the trail is important.  In Ecuador, every name change and marital status change is noted on one's birth certificate.  This is why you have to have all documents ISSUED (not just notarized and apostiled) within 90 days before application. (in Ecuador, your birth certificate could change!).
I will have to get an attorney to fix the spelling--so be it! (Local court hasn't fixed it in 4 months of trying!!)  Hope the Ecuadorian attorney's explanation helps.  Details make more sense in context for me.  I now will be prepared to mail off requests again (within 90 days of planned move).  Legal advice before hand would have saved me time, money and angst-- Hope this helps someone else.
cb

PS:  congratulations on your upcoming wedding!!
cb

FYI, an apostille is: when the secretary of state in any state verifies and places a seal that the person who notarized the document was legally able to do so. IE a licensed notary. 1986 Hague Convention. Also for the confused, on the issue of status (divorced, married or single) it is necessary for your status on your National Cedula!! Not for visas! Your cedula has to have the information on it! Therefore you have to supply  the documents! Period!

Cuenca boy wrote:

Also for the confused, on the issue of status (divorced, married or single) it is necessary for your status on your National Cedula!! Not for visas! Your cedula has to have the information on it! Therefore you have to supply  the documents! Period!

Exactly. I just recently got my visa, no problem, without my wife's death certificate. But I had to have it sent from the states to get my cedula.