People who recently got residency visa please share your experiences

Hi People

Please share your experiences in getting residence visa. I am looking to set up a business in DR but i dont fall under the category of either investor with $200 000 capital nor can I invest $2 000 every month. This category is for super rich or coorporations.

I want to know the experiences of people who applied for residency visa at their home Dominican Embassy to set up business in Dominican Republic.

Share your experiences

Cheers!

Most come as a regular expat residencia application after visiting as a tourist and making connections that will help sponsor your application. OR you pay the fee to get a lawyer who will write that letter of sponsorship for you!  But it will cost.

Planner you are always so quick and ready to help :)
mucho gracias !

Yes most go the traditional route and that has changed  somewhat as you now need to start the application process in your home country.
You will still need to show solvency.
We are actually going next week for our 4th renewal.

Bob K

Ok some info on renewal.   We went to Santo Domingo yesterday to renew our residency (for the 4th time) and it was still a Chinese fire drill.  They were supposed to have the entire process under one room (Emigration building).  Well the service area is not under reconstruction.  So after submitting the physical application and paying for the physical which took 2 hours.  For some reason they wanted to get and look at our entire record for the last 8 years. I don't think this happens to everyone just us lucky few.  And the fact that they actually found our records is a bit doubtful to me. 

Then instead of going in the back for the physical (blood, pee and xray) we then had to cab it over to another facility that was just at the edge of the Zona Colonial, which is about a 10 min cab ride away.  Then 15 days or so from now we are supposed to get the results and get our card.  Well our lawyer was able to somehow also get our pictures done with out the physical done and so we do not have to return but she will pick up the cards for us in a few weeks.  HOWEVER we can not get our cedula that day and we will have to go back after the residency cards are issued to get that done.  Mine expires this month and Pats in August.  So we will get them both now. This is supposed to be an easy 10 min process but does require us to return to the capital for the day.

It is actually such a long trip (4.5 hour by bus) that like this time we will go the day before  and then get things done before returning the next day.

Bob K

So it seems little has changed in terms of making things easier. Sounds like more hassle then it was before!!!!  Yikes.

Once the construction is done it should be a lot easier but looks like a few months away so wont help me this time.

Bob K

Interesting!

Why is it interesting? Are you going to apply?
Welcome to the forum.
Why don't you post something about you on the Introduce Yourself thread on this forum.

Bob K

Yes please tell us more about you!!!  Then ask questions or tell us your experiences!!!

Hola bob k and planner.. I lived and work in dominican republic for two years really loved it. I work in puj for a tour operator company but I was let go in December of 2013 for not having a work permit. How can I go about obtaining a work permit from the states and I will get my job back at PC....thanks  :sosad:

Answered  your PM.

I think you need to start at the Dominican  Consulate.

Can your job help with the process?

Bob K

First - will the company you worked for issue you a work sponsor.letter???? If so, the process will be a bit easier.