WORKING IN NETHERLANDS BUT DONT SPEAK DUTCH

Hi there

I currently live in South Africa but want to move to the Netherlands next year as my boyfriend lives there.
Can anyone tell me what it is like getting a job there if you dont speak dutch. Is a big problem?

Thanks

Hi Candz!

I invite you to take a look at the different discussions of the forum, it may help.;)

Harmonie.:)

I would say it depends on the job you're looking for and of course the city. For example in Amsterdam, Rotterdam it would be way easier that in cities more south or east of Netherlands

I moved here four months ago and haven't landed a job yet, but I also haven't tried as hard as I could. I would suggest trying to learn a little before you come. And, I agree, it does depend on where you are going to live.

Most of the job openings I have found, even in the larger cities, require you to have at least some knowledge of the Dutch language, if not fluent.  So I strongly encourage you to learn the language now.  You will have to take a Dutch integration course anyway, but it's never too early to start!  It will only work to your benefit.  Also know that you will not be permitted to work here until your visa has been approved, which is a process of several months.  That would also be a great time to learn the language on your own.  Hope that helps!

just pack your bags, and pray alot before you leave:)
life is an adventure.:D

with summer around the corner i bet youlle find a job.
Knowing the Dutch language helps but there are companys that need international people.

Hope you guys enjoy youre stay in holland!

hi,

i'm not really agree with you, of course all depend what kind of job you are looking for. But there are some recruitment agencies who are only looking for undutch speakers as:
undutchables.nl/
unique.nl/umls
and so much more....

Candz dont you worry if you have a good knowledge of afrikaans, It wont be that hard for you learning the dutch language. My i lived for 1 year in SA and I learned by readin the afrikaans really easily. to find a job it depends on where you 'll live like amsterdam and rotterdam will be in the first place a good choice. qualifications it depends in wich branche you wanna work. but all I can say is good ;)

Hello everyone...I'm new here. My name is Mitchell and Im from the USA. I'm looking to live abroad and Amsterdam is where I want to live. My family speaks Dutch but I do not sad to say But more than willing to learn,so it would not be a problem for me.I have Cousins that live in Amsterdam now,But my question is,How can I obtain a work permit there and do I have to stay in Netherlands for a amount of time.Right now Im getting my afairs in order and soon would need to leave by 2013/2014.I have mapped out a place to live and Rotterdam is where I plan to live. Please,if anyone can help me,it would be very grateful to me.

Hey Mitchell,

If you are planning on moving to the Netherlands you will need to either have a visa as a skilled migrant worker or be married to a dutch citizen. It is not possible to just be sponsored by a dutch citizen any longer. Regardless of what people may say on here, the only job you will find when you ONLY speak English is being a housekeeper or working in the back of Burger King unless you are a skilled migrant worker but to be one of those you have to have a job lined up and the company must demonstrate they can not find someone in the Netherlands to do the job. I wouldn't make a habit of telling people your American either its not a selling feature. The Netherlands is a fantastic country but be prepared to have your life turned upside down when you come. Its a whole other world over here. Can you believe you need to speak Dutch to work in a souvenir shop? I didn't know the Dutch bought their own souvenirs.

ashlieneevel wrote:

Hey Mitchell,

If you are planning on moving to the Netherlands you will need to either have a visa as a skilled migrant worker or be married to a dutch citizen. It is not possible to just be sponsored by a dutch citizen any longer. Regardless of what people may say on here, the only job you will find when you ONLY speak English is being a housekeeper or working in the back of Burger King unless you are a skilled migrant worker but to be one of those you have to have a job lined up and the company must demonstrate they can not find someone in the Netherlands to do the job. I wouldn't make a habit of telling people your American either its not a selling feature. The Netherlands is a fantastic country but be prepared to have your life turned upside down when you come. Its a whole other world over here. Can you believe you need to speak Dutch to work in a souvenir shop? I didn't know the Dutch bought their own souvenirs.

Interesting insights and observations.   Would you say there is some general animosity towards Americans due to the current economic-political state? or is this based on personal experience in general.  Just curious as I live in the USA and will also be coming to Utrecht for my graduate studies in Aug.

Hi

There is no problem at all. I would advise you to look though before coming over, best to have a job to walk into. Still a deep recession here and the Dutch get the jobs first which I think is normal in every country.

Good luck. Check out expatica jobs or get yourself on linkedin.

All the best

Andy

Check out www.newtoholland.nl.
This is a website of the Dutch government where you can find all the information you need if you are planning to live in the Netherlands.

ashlieneevel wrote:

Hey Mitchell,

A souvenir shop interacts with more parties than just "tourists" hence the requirement.

Hi.  have you moved yet?  My fiance and I are looking strongly into Rotterdam.  Would like to know what experiences you've had so far and if you have any advice (?).  I have EU citizenship so living there is no problem except for the language.  Would it be a problem to find a job (at an international company) without knowing Dutch? 

best of luck!

You can easily get a job if you speak English. There are a lot of pubs/bars/restaurants where English people work. To be more certain of getting a job it would be better to look in the following cities: Utrecht, Rotterdam and Amsterdam.

u ve time to go dutch school in your  country

Hello! I am from Utrecht and i can speak English .. I want to know if i can get a job ? Please thanks x.

I advise you to take a peek at the job section and look at the jobs which fits to your profile or interest.
You can also leave your  CV there.

The job section is in the green banner above the page.

Happy searching!

Why not ask your boyfriends, you are telling he lives here.. he should now the path to follow

I can speak NL but still very difficult to find a job here. Even for cleaning or housekeeper. Moet diploma hebben.

There are some jobs here in the Netherlands that no need dutch but this you should gather information by searching for a job online first and check what chances do you have to get a job for english speakers

Good luck in the search

I'm looking for a job, I can speak English and Nederlands , is it possible to find a job here without diploma? Driving me crazy everyday,searching a job in the internet?

Hi All ,i wish to come to Netherland but i don't  know any body over there can you but me through

Ja very difficult to find a job. They still asking for experience en diploma.

I too have the same problem. Hope to get married soon to a guy from Utrecht. He says I can do the exam during my 6 months stay there. But I like to learn little bit of Dutch before I go to the Netherlands. But the problem is it is very difficult to find a Dutch teacher in Sri Lanka :(

very true

mal wrote:

I too have the same problem. Hope to get married soon to a guy from Utrecht. He says I can do the exam during my 6 months stay there. But I like to learn little bit of Dutch before I go to the Netherlands. But the problem is it is very difficult to find a Dutch teacher in Sri Lanka :(

I told you, I can help you...

likely to find a job faster if you learn dutch ofcourse

It absolutely depends on the type of job you are looking for, i have lived here 35 years ( originally from the UK)
and now have my own recruiting company and recruit regularly international candidates for  Inside sales positons ( with sales experience in your native country and no dutch necessary).

Hi everyone! I'm currently seeking job opportunities mainly in the culinary field for when I move to the Netherlands in late September, 2016! I don't speak dutch either, but I recommend using Pimsleur programs to do so. It helped me learn Spanish and I'm also learning Portuguese. Hope that helps! Also, let me know if you hear of job opportunities in my field.
Thanks all,
April

Hello April

Please drop an advert in the required section of the site for your job hunt : Job offers in Utrecht

Regards
Kenjee
Expat.com Team