Winter in Cape Town

Hi all,

Any thoughts on how it is to live in Cape Town in the winter?
I arrived at the end of winter so haven't really experienced but I hear it rains a lot and can be pretty miserable. As it is such an outdoorsy place, can anyone give any tips on activities etc that are good here during those months?

Cape Town winters have about as much rain as Los Angeles winters.  They are very mild and quite pleasant compared to much of the world.

Winter is cold I will not lie. Especially if you enjoy walking like me to most places. I walk a lot and even in winter, through rain, wind etc. So it is not that bad. What I find different from Europe in winter though is that the houses in Cape Town are not properly insulated. Not all have central heating (why would we, being in the southern hemisphere) and therefore when you come out of the shower or about to get in, your feet feel cold, and it's not pleasant. That being said, the great thing about winter here is that you still have beautiful days with sunshine and birds singing in the morning so it's not too miserable. Also, there are winter special promotions in many restaurants to encourage people to come out of their duvets/homes! Yes, many Capetonions hibernate the minute winter pops its head.