International school

Hello,I am new member join by today. i am from Seri Kembangan Selangor. and I looking for international school with british curriculum to my kids age 9 & 6. Any recommend?
What bout home school? Any good n bad for home school?
Thank you

Hello Fion

Here are a couple of International School you can consider for your children.

1. The British International School - http://www.britishschool.edu.my/en/home.aspx
2. Alice Smith International School - http://www.alice-smith.edu.my/
3. Australian International School - http://www.aism.edu.my/
4. Nexus International School- http://www.nexus.edu.my/?gclid=CLShytaA … vAodS74A6g

Home school near Cheras that offers IGCSE program.

1. Oxburgh Academy Malaysia - http://oxburghigcse.blogspot.com/
2. Power Cambridge - http://cherashomeschooling.blogspot.com/

The closest school that is very good value (RM1500 monthly) and has excellent staff is UCSI

http://ucsiinternationalschool.edu.my/sj/

Thank you fr ur replied! It's useful for me.

Hi if you check out UCSI website you see why it is cheap - unqualified teachers. A celta doesn't make you a science teacher!

Always watch for that. Glossy websites hide the truth.

What about two new school in Puchong ,rafflesia international school & Taylor's international school? And how about home school? Common?

UCSI - the staff are higher qualified than many schools. This school was the choice of an expat teacher.. So take a look and visit to make your own mind up.  Unfortunately there is some snobbery about schools, which hides the true gems.

Gravitas wrote:

UCSI - the staff are higher qualified than many schools. This school was the choice of an expat teacher.. So take a look and visit to make your own mind up.  Unfortunately there is some snobbery about schools, which hides the true gems.

It doesn't have qualified teachers - that is a fact not snobbery.

Yet parents pay high fees that could easily pay for qualified teachers. Fact is the owner will take a 80% profit margin

It was the school of choice for an international qualified school teacher and is generally a less known school but with an impressive number of English speaking staff. At the end of the day, the choice is always based on convenience and cost.  Wealthy expats who are living in the expat enclaves closer to the capital, will always gravitate to schools which seem to be "the best". However, there are many other criteria that make a school good or bad for an individual child. One of those is the size based on the personality of the child, and also whether they are not in a sufficiently high socio-economic group to keep up with the richest kids in the class. That is an uncomfortable situation for a child and NO parent should put their offspring into that hideous situation, where the child's family cannot compete with standards of living.

I put my son in British International school, visited the school, facility, disciple excellent. Any feedback from the parents of the school is most wellcome

Hi,

What ever you do, do not send your children to MAZ international school. The school is it even in its full capacity, have you ever thought why. Also staff members that are meant to be teachers are not even qualified teachers, some were office staff and in desperate times are forced by the principal to go and teach. I have taught there myself and I am speaking from personal experience. The principal punjabi man is not to be trusted. They are just trying to make money. Any questions please ask me.

MAZ is a well known dump so I have to agree. They employed a drinking buddy who needed any old job. Cheated her, underpaid her then didn't pay her last months salary. All well under the 5k limit for expats so they prob defrauded her and lied to immigration. She run away eventually - like anyone would who can get any other teaching job. I pity the poor students there!

Certainly the UCSI and similar new budget local schools will be better than MAS/MIGS/Global Indian School as the well known dump schools that should go bust (with any luck) when new school capacity exceeds supply.

Nemodat, oh my life something similar happened to my friend. The principal Inderjit Sekhon has psychological problems. He uses inappropriate language towards staff and my friend witnessed a colleague holding a child from one leg and throwing them out the class, left there to cry.

Regarding MIGS, I registered my two children in last September. We are happy with it and the curriculum used as well as the teaching team.
The extra activities are good including a study trip inside and outside the country. Each grade had an assembly "play" which they worked on it hard and presented to other grades and then to parents.... Further they have extra activities four days a week.Moreover, the offered breakfast and lunch are at high quality and with enough quantity for one, two serving as desired.
We got briefing at the end of each term. Moreover, teachers are available for us and our inquiries.
Pls. Note that our children came from a very strict schooling system and found MIGS serves Asa better alternative, broadening our children vision. By the way they use SAT for junior school grades..

This is my testimony for MIGS and the new management. Regards..

i assume you understand Mandarin, these youtube clips will answer your homeschooling question.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xATiOhUjUKYhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mGBpaKE2Tw

Dear Parents,

Any comments on ELC Cyberjaya.
Base on my visit to the school, its have the required facility for kids,
There are more local kids then others.
The teachers mostly from asian countries with experience teaching in overseas.
They follow  british curriculum , until Secondary 11.
They will test the student using the paper set by cambridge (i believe the uni).

They do have IT class to teach kids on computers (Basic), but no requirement for students to own laptop/mac.

Fees, lowest among schools which ranked good.

garshen wrote:

Dear Parents,

Any comments on ELC Cyberjaya.
Base on my visit to the school, its have the required facility for kids,
There are more local kids then others.
The teachers mostly from asian countries with experience teaching in overseas.
They follow  british curriculum , until Secondary 11.
They will test the student using the paper set by cambridge (i believe the uni).

They do have IT class to teach kids on computers (Basic), but no requirement for students to own laptop/mac.

Fees, lowest among schools which ranked good.

Strange analysis! I like ELC and for budget expats worth a look.

Advantages
- selective academically with small class sizes = good results
- dedicated head
- students come out with good attitude

Disadvantages
- doesn't make much money so no re-investment in facilities = bad facilities
- lower pay = less able teachers (but they still have good ones but lose them to other schools a growing trend now with more competition)
- no sixth form

Cambridge checkpoint is NOT UK syllabus. Many schools (far worse in India and China) make a big thing of CIE but so what. They are a money making exam board. It means nothing as such. IGCSE is OK. It's A levels are from the stone age and best avoided.

Nemodot, I am referring to yr intervention on the school system and your saying IGCSE is OK but it's A level to be avoided? What do you mind by that, if you can give more lights on that pls. and what I should look for my children? They are still at Junior school at MIGS, but we are aiming for them to go for their university education in Canada...thanks for sharing your knowledge. Regards..

Hi,

Could anyone give me a review on British International School, KL??????

thanks

British International School is quite good and a reputed school in kl.

Thanks!

Hi Fi on,
My kid 6 year old and studying at Eaton International School @ Jade Hills Kajang since January 2014.

We are happy with the school.

Eaton is such a rip off name! The owner is in in just for money and that will mean a poor education generally speaking as they get greedy. They milk the cow but don't want to feed it!

As for CIE international A levels for Canada ok. The real issue in Malaysia is lack of real choice. Actually stpm is better than international (Asian syllabus) A levels. It is hard to do British A levels in Malaysia. Alice uses them but fees high. Canada has a very backward content wise system so first year at uni easy for anyone with most qualifications. But the learning style is very different. The main problem is that most providers here spoon feed students to get good grades but then they can't do well at interviews/university. International A levels (Asian variant) are a poor preparation for university.

All the private and international schools are expensive compare to the state schools, these are not the non profit organisation.

There are almost 99 international schools in Malaysia.

My kid with Eaton since she is 2.5 years old from kindergarten period till now she is in primary, if the school don't perform the quality and proven academic results, I'm sure no parents like to get "ripped off" since there are many different new schools such as Tanarata, HELP, Rafflesia,  IGB etc.

teal13 wrote:

All the private and international schools are expensive compare to the state schools, these are not the non profit organisation.

There are almost 99 international schools in Malaysia.

My kid with Eaton since she is 2.5 years old from kindergarten period till now she is in primary, if the school don't perform the quality and proven academic results, I'm sure no parents like to get "ripped off" since there are many different new schools such as Tanarata, HELP, Rafflesia,  IGB etc.

Of those 99. 90 are ripping off parents! An all expat teacher school, with high quality education should be no more than 15k a year/20k for IGCSE. That is allowing for a 20% profit margin and reasonable facilities. Profit margins in Malaysia are 70-80% ie 20-30% of what you pay goes on child's education. The rest is pure rip off profit.

Noticed it in other industries. In Malaysia service industries often massively overcharge - 80% profit margins are normal. In the west competition forces more reasonable margins. Microsoft make 60% contribution margin but before R&D and advertising costs. That is considered high though. In Malaysia inefficiency runs rampant - well will last until the oil money runs out - then Malaysia needs to wake up and kill inefficiency (strongly linked to corruption and poor consumer awareness).

Hi
I want my son to go international school with high education standard and also best for manners
May I know the address , fee and criteria for admission of british international school.? Any information about montessori??
My son is 4 yrs.
I live in ampang. Is there any branch close to my residence for my convenience?

Sobi - the fees are between RM25-35k per year for the top international schools. But you can perhaps look at UCSI International but it is in Subang Jaya as it has many expat teachers and the fees are about RM15-20k per year.

This website may help you:

http://schooladvisor.my/?p=schools

Thanks Gravitas

Hi Sobi,

There is Montessori school in jln. ampang hilir called The Children's House. You may click here for more information about the school.

Another school is that Fairview International School. It is the one and only International Baccalaureate World School in Malaysia that offers from Primary, Middle year, and Diploma. Using British Curriculum.

Their Primary is from age 4 - 10 yrs old. You may check out this link fairview.edu.my for more information about the school. the school location is at Wangsa Maju, it is just about 15 mins from Ampang.

I hope this information will help you :)

[moderated: free advertisement is not allowed + pls register your school in the business directory]

Check out ISR website. UCSI has a review that says it all. Not an international school.

BIS has had high staff turnover and "issues". Basically secondary is tje unwanted runt at the moment primary is a lot better.

They have moved on one manager responsible for some issues in secondary so may well improve next year. The main issue is the owner who is by accounts I heard a typical Malaysian "businessman". Starve the school of capital, mismanage it, never think long term....

Hello,

I read your thread. I have been offered a job there. Is there anything good going on? I noticed your post is from 2014, has there been any change?

Thanks,

Jim

Hi, sorry could you remind me again what the thread was about?

Can anyone give me more review about ELC Cyberjaya & Tanahrata International School?
I heard ELC quite good but no much comment for Tanahrata.. pls help.. Thanks

I think the good report for ELC is for their other school and not the one in Cyberjaya, which is newer.

Thanks for your reply..Yes.. this is i what i heard.. visited the school and it seems both school share standard.. heard of Tanahrata? Cos i still comparing these 2 for my boy.. thanks

I have also heard Nexus is good

i was also recently offered a position at MAZ...the salary seemed a bit low at 12,998....i have 20 years of teaching experience at every age group, and i have a B.S. and Ph.D. in History, but no teaching license.   The contract also said that teachers must live on the school campus.  Is that standard practice in Malaysia?   

thanks all  !!

thor

The remuneraton should be at least RM20k and the top schools are paying RM30k including benefits such as housing.

those top salaries are probably because the teachers have a real license...which i don't...still....30k is double what i was offered...that feels good