Air gun & personal/home security business

Hello All,

I am considering starting an Air gun (air powered pistols & rifles) store in Accra, also dealing in things like pepper-spray, knives, batons, hunting supplies, clothing, ammo, etc. I am an avid collector of air guns, and I utilize these guns in hunting and target practice as I have for years. I have no idea what starting a business is like in Ghana. (I posted the Sha na na - get a job topic in this forum a while back with no answers)! A security business would be lucrative in virtually any and every country, but I'm not so sure about the air gun factor involved. I would have every type of air gun, from the old Daisy BB guns to the .50 caliber hunting air rifles I use, and everything in between.

Any ideas on how Ghanaian society might respond to a store/business like this?

Thank you,

Iron Ron

It sounds like a good idea, yet I do not think the Government would fly with the idea. Its my personal opinion being an expat living in Ghana for three years. The only people I ever saw carry any type of weapon were the police and army personnel.

Good Luck!

Please keep your guns in America! There is absolutely no need for such a store here in Ghana. I would be very worried indeed if there was one.
Ghana is a relatively peaceful country and while most people have some form of home security such as fences and a security man they are not armed and I hope there is never a need for them to be so.

Not well. Ghana is probably the most peaceful and stress-free society in all of Africa proper (I include South Africa in that). People aren't paranoid about security, because though there are occasional crimes, there are far fewer than in most countries. Plus there is no way the government is going to grant you a license to sell that stuff. My advice? Move somewhere that sort of service is needed - Russia, for example. This is a nice country.

Thank you everyone for your great advice! I am not being sarcastic - I really do mean "great advice". I have learned so much about Ghana, and now I will be landing in Accra next month (4/18), and yes, I have learned that Ghana is an EXTREMELY peaceful place. The "guns" I am referring to are AIR guns - BB guns that most kids have as toys for plinking soda cans. I am against guns (REAL guns) being brought into Africa as well, especially Ghana now that I've been enlightened. The majority of these air guns couldn't kill a blue jay, let alone a person. I contacted a friend in Accra, and he had to Google "pepper spray" because he had never even heard of it! Amazing! That fact only makes me want to stay in Ghana all the more. I will get to experience this peaceful country first-hand in a few weeks! FINALLY! So happy most people in Ghana don't need, don't know about, and don't really care - about pepper spray, air guns, etc., I'll leave that stuff here in the states where people have a need for it. Also, my priority is nowhere other than Africa. Not Russia, not anywhere. Thank you.

I am glad that you have seen the light! I hope you will really enjoy your stay in Ghana and find a more suitable business that will help develop the country.

Why, Thank you kindly, Hkann!

I'll be on Westlands Blvd. West, and I hope to meet you in person when I am there.

Kind Regards,

Ron

I have shot gun but to do practice I need airsoft riffles

I hope the police know you have such a weapon as guns are not legal here.

Yes i have wepen which is licence by ghana police
i ask airsoft gun for practice because here no firing range

hkann wrote:

This is totally untrue. There is a firearms licensing system.

hkann wrote:

Please keep your guns in America! There is absolutely no need for such a store here in Ghana. I would be very worried indeed if there was one.
Ghana is a relatively peaceful country and while most people have some form of home security such as fences and a security man they are not armed and I hope there is never a need for them to be so.

Either you are not in Ghana or you are not integrated

I am glad you have corrected me and I hope you will continue to give good advice for people who are thinking of coming to Ghana or already live here. I am sure they will value your useful comments.

spacecoast wrote:
hkann wrote:

i have told u i have gun which is license by Ghana fire arm police but i need air soft gun for practice
because here we no have any firing range which u can use to practice because of that i need air soft gun. i think now u understand

Sorry, I have never heard of the type of gun you have mentioned. I hope someone can help you

deepak0180 wrote:
spacecoast wrote:
hkann wrote:

i have told u i have gun which is license by Ghana fire arm police but i need air soft gun for practice
because here we no have any firing range which u can use to practice because of that i need air soft gun. i think now u understand

Hi I can get airsoft for you. What do you need?

Also,there are ranges. You just need to know where they are Š)

spacecoast wrote:
deepak0180 wrote:
spacecoast wrote:

Hi I can get airsoft for you. What do you need?

Also,there are ranges. You just need to know where they are Š)

intersted in this can you hep: Electric 1911A1 AEP Pistol Full Auto Handgun FPS-350 Airsoft Gun

with 0.48 g BB

If you want to own a gun in Ghana, the first thing is to go to the Ghana Police Headquarters to apply for a permit to bring the gun into the country. Besides being illegal to own a gun without a permit no matter what type it is, thinking of selling air guns, tasers and pepper spray is not gonna fly with the Ghanaian people.

DUDE IVE BEEN LOOKING FOR AIRSOFT GUNS BRING EM PLEASEEEE
AND TEEL ME WERE YOU ARE PUTTING YOUR BUISSNESS

Hello Daskue,

could you please lower Caps Lock when you write on this forum.

Thanks for your understanding,

Francesca

Go to Ghana police Headquarter  to be save.It's very important.

Does anyone have information about where to purchase pepperspray/Mace in Ghana?  I would like to purchase some in Ghana and have it shipped to a family member in Ghana, since I cannot ship it from the US.

It is not something that is required in Ghana so I don't know why a family member would need it. I would also check whether it is legal here.

I have checked into it and it is legal in Ghana. I assume from your comment you have not spent much time in the Kumasi area. But thank you for your reply.

Use it carefully and  need to be  register...Go to Ghana police H.

I guess most of the people commenting here doesn't know air guns. Ghanaians hav the tendency of speaking n acting upon hearing certain words such as "gun" without considering the context.
I promise you, u'ld make a lot of income from this business u're proposing. I'ld lov to see such a shop in Ghana and ur customers wld com from neighboring countries since it'll be the first ever.
most toy-gun traders make huge profits within Christmas n Easter season in Ghana, and most people discouraging you here buy them for their children each season; they discouraging you simply mean they hav no idea what you're talking about.
Please com n set the shop up, I'm a born n bread Ghanaian living n I'ld lov to be ur wingman when you com.
it's one thing saying somtn isn't ther and knowing it isn't ther. real guns ar Sold in Ghana, just Google 'guns Sold in Ghana' n find proof for itself.
u can check out this as well ghanaweb.com/GhanaHomePage/telephone_directory/category.php?ID=1276
Pls com n setup dat wonderful dream of urs, n I'ld be glad to provide any help u might need.
my contact:
Cyber-Lord
email: [email protected]
E sorry I didn't see this blog early, n hope it's not too late
contact me by mal n I'll giv u myo phone number let's get this shop rolling

Air guns are not sold to families during christmas. To understand business in Ghana can be very tricky. Do not be deceived by anybody who promises you "you can make alot of money""trust me". Becareful with people that want you to trust them by asking you to do so. 
The type of business you're looking to open in Ghana could be a tough sell. Ghanaians are generally against the idea of selling guns. Even if it was an air gun for hunting. They will make it seem like you're about to distroy the youth. So such business will be a hard sell

Hi Spacecoast,

You stated you were able to supply air rifles, is this still the case, I wish to purchase a .22 Steyr LG110 for target shooting.

Regards,
Steve

noaha wrote:

Air guns are not sold to families during christmas. To understand business in Ghana can be very tricky. Do not be deceived by anybody who promises you "you can make alot of money""trust me". Becareful with people that want you to trust them by asking you to do so. 
The type of business you're looking to open in Ghana could be a tough sell. Ghanaians are generally against the idea of selling guns. Even if it was an air gun for hunting. They will make it seem like you're about to distroy the youth. So such business will be a hard sell

Now you are just talking crap

hkann wrote:

It is not something that is required in Ghana so I don't know why a family member would need it. I would also check whether it is legal here.

Well, when you get attacked, just ask them politely to stop and remember that pepper spray is not required in Ghana

I'll tell ya what. If you intend to open this business in Ghana, I'm sure there will be some market. The question is whether the actual turnover will satisfy your expectations. I'm very sure that not only long term expats but also wealthy Ghanaians will consider getting one.

Ghana has a quite lively weapons' market. No matter what other "oh everything is so nice here" people say. The black market especially is full of Barettas as well as SWs.

Coming to the question whether if you need a gun, it's personal decision. Dogs are good guards as well but they do get poisoned when somebody wants to break in.

To paint a pink picture about Accra, Kumasi, Takoradi as well other places where masses live, would be naive to say the least. The amount of small crimes involving weapons (including machetes etc) are increasing. I have been here five years now and we can see and feel the difference. The gap between poor and the super rich is getting so big that people get tempted.

I don't know where the idea of nothing bad ever happens here comes from but it certainly is not true. People, locals as well as expats, get attacked, shot and killed. If you are not aware of this, you're either not living here or you're deaf and blind.

HI
GO TO NEAR POLICE STATION AND GET TO KNOW WHEATHER TRUE OR NOT

Airsoft gun is not a firearm and Ghana don't have laws even on it I have a lot of them gas blow here in Switzerland and philippines am going back to Ghana and planing to bring it along with me

No need to register dude is not a firearm it's a toy gun just looking realistic you can just put a pink noozel serious Ghana law doesn't even know airsoft is

Please do not encourage sales of any type of guns for sale or factories for it. These are needed only by security forces and armed forces of Ghana.

Think how people can live together peacefully. Peace, Progress and Development are the necessities for Africa and the globe. Lot of people are being killed and are dying because of our own foolishness in all professions. We have to increase the value of human life not only in Africa but also in the globe. Inequality in the society, no doubt, has to be removed as fast as possible by all concerned.

How I agree with you! Ghana has its problems but fortunately gun crime is relatively small. Anyone who doesn't see the correlation between the ownership of guns and the proliferation of gun crime is deluded. England became significantly safer when guns were taken off the streets.

The problem here is this you must know wat you arguing about here airsoft is not a firearm it's shoots small rubber pellets kids use to buy on Christmas that's the spring type they have the gas and electric one which allow the bullets to travel much faster and long distance ITS NOT A FIREARM THATS WHY WE DONT HAVE LAWS ON IT it's only looks like a real Gun that's why in the states part of the states the noozel must be a pink or red colour it's NOT A FIREARM BY ANY LAW IN GHANA  OR ANYWHERE  check google and you tube people use it for sports I got a few I shot around the house and for tournaments here

hi there im bright melothniel from ghana i have been wanting to buy air gun for protecting my crops in my gun and interested in buying one if necessary for hunting too but don't know how to go about it and i founded this site very happy and want to know if u could help please

I will be coming to Ghana and will be bringing Gas airsoft Gun hook me up if you need one full metal too holester for the. Too wants to open a airsoft team in Ghana for tournaments

Is there a possibility that you could bring an air gun with hunting pellets and a scope that I could buy of you