Leaving Puerto Lopez

And up! i just heard there is two apartments that got vacant this month!

Hi Colombian,

My wife and I are also planning to build up the hill in Puerto Lopez where we own a lot. It sounds like it could be pretty close to your location. We completed the purchase literally days before the area was declared Area Turistica Protegida, but did not get a Permiso de Construccion back then. We would be VERY interested in how your plans are coming along and the new paper trail required to get something built, how long it takes, what the hassle is, new permits as a result of the ATP etc. Could you give us an update? Thanks.

As to the building without a permit, a lot of people do it in Ecuador. It is really as simple as paying the penalty at the end and thus legalizing the property after municipal inspection (you still have to build properly, for example have the correct pillars in place to carry the weight of the house etc). People take that path to avoid having to hire an architect to draw up the plans (required for the permit).

I have my construction permits and had to change my plans due to the new ordinance.  I would not build without a permit.  When I bought I was told I could do anything I wanted on property but that was then.  I did everything by the book as the town has a general plan.  When you come into town we can visit more about this it was a long road that took me days and weeks at the Municipal. I got my permits in the 1st week in  February and broke ground the following week.

Thanks for your reply. Can you drop a hint as to what those changes included? Of course, I would love to chat with you about it over a Club Verde at one of the beach side cabañas one day. Currently, I am not in Puerto Lopez and won't be returning for the next few months.

Size and height.