Visa and household goods duty free

Hello,

I have a chicken/egg sort of question.  I need the residency visa before I can import my household goods duty free, but can't return once I have the residency to ship them.  How have others dealt with this?  Am I missing something?  Do I get the visa and then have someone here send my things afterwards?  I have everything ready to go, but am now stumped.  I'm also considering a couple of pallets for airfreight and wonder if anyone has done this and what the cost was in comparison to the approximately $8,000 I'm currently looking at for a 20' container.

Thanks for any input,
Kristin

Krystin hello, I guess I and most others before me are wondering why you're even considering a $8,000  dollar hit for a container and then some. more for air freight pallets? By the way, it ain't over till you get your container and that.s assuming you clear customs without any delays that can run $1-400 bucks per day and I've heard of some cases being tied up for 60 days! . An example of a potential catastrophe is have one item omitted or misidentified on the bill of lading manifest and you can pretty much go to the bank for more funds, quite a few more funds.
I think you;ll find most of us sold off most everything before coming down but it appears you're destined to ship your goods and based on what you've explained you're on the way to having a freight epiphany.
Yes to your question, as to holding it behind you, package everything have the container and pallets picked up and held stateside by your shipping agent (more money) and have them released by that freighter when you have the proper Ecuadorian credentials to have the freight folks usually in Miami release them for ocean transport. Give that about 8 weeks to arrive GYE and then prayer that your manifests are accurate.
your kinda swimming upstream on doing it this way but Good Luck

Thanks Tim.  I've been away from the internet for a week and just found this reply. I've read enough stories of people's stuff getting caught in customs that I'm about ready to have an estate sale.

There are good reasons to ship.  If you sell you will not get replacement costs.  We liked our stuff (furniture etc) and kept them.  Kitchen equipment is much more expensive here and of a lesser quality.  Read what people say about the stoves here.  We didn't bring a stove and are oh so sorry.  A lot of people bring tools that are not easily replaceable.

Yes, it is a hassle for a bit of time, but then you have all the things you want and are comfortable with right here.

We shipped and are not sorry,

Mike

Hi Kristin,
You can leave as soon as you have your residency visa and you can remain out of Ecuador for 90 days, day by day or by the week or by the month.  The 90 days can be spit up anyway you want BUT you are limited to only 90 days per year the first two years. 

Good luck, however you do it.

Ed

kristin you've got your visa, get a good mover by the way that figure is pretty steep,plus there will be other charges here with Customs to release your belongings. The mover will give you the date your things leave the USA, therefore you need to give yourself a week or so to do whatever last minute things.When your here within the date the boat arrives, you have to contact he movers office here in Ecuador they will explain what where and when to do. Good luck

Docputter, is rigth. Once you get your visa you can leave for 90 days (per year, the first two years)
Shpping all your stuff is not going to be easy. Hope you can read some spanish, you can check how they want the manfest.
They want boxes that has tags. The tag has to show how many pieces of whatever is inside. How many skirts, what size the skirts are, who owns them. How many shoes, what size, are new or are used.
Every member of the family is allowed to bring 200lbs of clothing. No more.
The manifest has to be very detail. My saying is: You want something well done.. DIY!

Do the state sale!! Save yourself the impending grief and by the way I have no problems with my six burner stove and at this point in my life the only tools I have are my checkbook. The days of pulling transmissions and motors or knocking down walls and re-wiring are gone for good.
As for the referenced kitchen appliances being inferior?? Sorry but we've found 3 shops with products at reasonable prices and with products of decent to equal USA quality.
save yourself!!

Sorry, not my experience with kitchen appliances.  Nor is it true for pots, pans, knives etc.  A contractor grade gas stove in the States is way ahead of what is here.  The last time I priced a Kitchen Aid mixer here it was ±$900.  A bigger model in the States was $350...And with the new import regs prices will only skyrocket - if you can find the items.