How long did it take you to get the permanent visa (family reunion)?

Hi!

I'm curious, i would like to know how long it took since the day you applied until you got the permanent visa for family reunion (like spouse or husband)? And in your country, how long did they say it would take?

In Montreal they say it takes 2 months and I want to plan my plane ticket to Brazil. I'm not so trustworthy but I would like to know if I should be ok with 3 months.

Thanks!!

Hi Emilie,

Can't really say for sure about a permanent visa because when I applied for my visa in Canada it was only a Tourist Visa which the Brazilian Consulate issued in three days. However, I can tell you that here in Brazil the process takes a very long time, sometimes two years and then you wait another 180 days for them to issue your ID card.

Unless you purchase a ticket that allows you to change departure dates at no cost or for a very low extra charge I wouldn't advise buying the ticket until you actually have the visa. Otherwise you buy the ticket depending on the speedy issue of the visa, it doesn't come through in time and you are out the money you paid for the ticket.

I know that in matters of the heart every minute seems to last forever, but be patient you will soon find out that the Brazilian government does EVERYTHING on their own schedule and that there is no such thing as a firm deadline for anything here, when it applies to the government doing something.

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil Animator, Expat-blog

Oh-ho

Thanks for the warning and advice, I sure hope the consulate got a bit contaminated by the north-american efficiency...fingers crossed!

Hello,

This is the first time I have replied to one of these topics, but I am somewhat in the same position.
I have been an expat for 3 years now. I lived and worked in Brazil for 15 months, where I married my Brasilian husband. I have the Brazilian drivers license, CPF and my previous RNE. I am still a bit new to the bureaucracy of Brazil, but after we married I had to leave for China to work for one year. Now I am ready to go back to be with my husband. I have not been back in Canada for 3 years, and am considered a non-resident. The Brazil embassy in Beijing has informed me I can apply in China.
I was wondering if you might be able to tell me the best way of going about this. Is it possible to enter Brasil on a tourist visa, and go to the Federal Police and apply for a permanent visa? Would this allow me to continue my work with the same company right away? I have a commitment, but am a bit unsure of the what I am allowed to do.
Before my company had handled all the paperwork, now it has been put up to my husband and I. We stuggled alone on getting married the first time when I was living their before, but eventually accomplished that. Now I am trying to make the best plan of action for the VIPER - Family Reunion visa.  If you happen to have any information, advice, websites or answers to the above questions. It would be most helpful. I have been reading yours replies for awhile on others posts, and you seem to have a pretty good view on things.

Thankyou,
Erin May

@ Erin May: Since you posted on an old thread, why don't you start a new discussion with all your questions on the Brazil forum for better visibility?

I am new to the forum world. I reposted and think I have it in the right area now. Thank  you.

Hi Erin May,

It depends on WHERE you apply for your VIPER Permanent Visa and the grounds on which you've applied. Generally speaking applications made abroad based on having a Brazilian spouse or Stable Union with a Brazilian are processed in 3 to 6 months in most cases.

If one applies here in Brazil the process can take 2 years or more..... I've been stuck going nowhere for over 4 years now and still no sign of light at the end of the tunnel.

Dealing with any aspect of immigration in Brazil is like watching the 50s classic film "The Day the Earth Stood Still" for the umpteenth time. Snails are much closer to being Triple Crown winning racehorses that the Federal Police and Ministry of Justice every will be.

I wish I had a record and play button on this forum. It is as if people don't read what has already been written. It becomes so cluttered and unsearchable! ;)

About my PR , I have applied for permanent visa at Policia Federal on 13th April 2012 . So far I haven't seen any status at MJ website.

Hi,
I have applied for permanent visa lasy year in April, So
far I didn't recieve any response . No visit so far
nothing . Can any one tell me how I will know staus of
my visa or where I need to send email for ask
this ??????
My friend from Manaus Shakeel already asked abouthis
visa its about 15 months from the day he applied ,
Federal Police didn't do any visit so far in his home.is
there any solution any suggestion ? Please let me
know....

No there is no solution, the Federal Police and Ministry of Justice are clearly incapable of handling their role as far as immigrations goes. They don't dedicate enough staff or resources to immigrations which now is growing by leaps and bounds. They can't keep up with the workload anywhere in Brazil and now there are Haitian and Syrian refugees and foreign medical doctors arriving in Brazil for the "Mais Médicos" program that are being bumped to the head of the waiting list for documentation which is prejudicial to all of the rest of us. A process that has in past taken up to two years or more will soon turn into one that takes five or more years, it's disgusting.

Cheers,
William James Woodward, Expat-blog Experts Team

I received word from another Expat-Blog member, who applied for permanency in Brazil two years ago that he received his home visit in Manaus. I know another person who has been waiting 3 years that lives in Manacapuru. If you live out in the boondocks like Manacapuru it appears you may be waiting for a very long time.

All of these cities are in the Amazonas.