Visiting 20/04-04/05/14

Hello

We are visiting Dom Rep next week (arriving Saturday) for two weeks, we are looking for a guide/chaperone to drive us around and show us the sites for the two weeks we are here.

We are not prepared to pay the over inflated hotel prices and would much prefer to put the money into the hands of people who actually live here and need the money. We are hoping someone might kindly pass on details of a trustworthy person.

Thank you
Samantha & Andrew

alytnaia welcome to the forum.
Where in the DR are you staying?  With this info we may have some recommendations for you.

Bob K

Yes where will you be! I am sure we can help. And suggest some things to do!!!

Hi Bob K

Good point! Really didn't think that through when I posted lol. We are staying in Puerto Plata for ease.

Thanks
Sam

You can contact Elias. He speaks perfect English , has a newer van and will make arrangements with you for some trips around the area. He is Dominican and has lived in the area for 40+ years. We and our clients use him all the time. Contact him and let him know what you want to see and do
Elias:
[email protected]
809-571-3602
809-842-5557 (cell phone) This is the best way to contact him

A day trip to Santiago is always a good trip

Bob K

Great referral Bob. Other places to go:

Damajagua falls.
Luperon
Carretera Turistica
Maimon for fresh fried fish
El Carey in Costambar for burgers
Cabarete to watch kite boards sail boards etc

How far do you want to travel from Puerto Plata?

Actually here are some sites to look at:
Mels www.mel-tour.com
iquana mama http://www.iguanamama.com/   
outback safari http://www.outbacksafari.com.do/
Ocean world www.oceanworldadventurepark.com
isairatours: http://www.isairatours.com
Monkey Jungle and zip line: http://www.monkeyjungledr.com  My favorite
James in Playa Dorada: https://sites.google.com/site/toursbyjames/
Bavaro runners www.bavarorunners.com/

I would not do the waterfalls.  It is a very dangerous excursion and people have lost their lives there.

Bob K

My understanding Bob is that since they put the precautions in place it is now quite safe. I've done it 12 times, before the changes, without issue.  And, even if you don't climb, it is worth a visit!

Great links Bob!

Nothing has really changed since the last two deaths two years ago or so. The staff still has no formal training on first aid, evacuation, and such.  Yes very pretty and yes very dangerous to climb.

Bob K

Hi

We wouldn't usually buy an inclusive package, it just worked out very cheaply as a last minute thing. We will go crazy just sitting on the resort, just not our thing. If i'm honest we would normally get to the airport hire a car or bike spend a day at a hotel and then we would be off on our own steam exploring the island.

It's only because I have read that driving on the roads here is not advisable and all the problems with insurance that i've had second thoughts in that department. I have looked at the buses (which seem very reasonable) but without having local knowledge i'm sure it would cause problems.

We have been out and bought a few guide books today and are at the moment considering roughly a 2 hour radius of Puerto Plata and thinking if there is a enough to see in a certain area we would consider booking a night at a hotel away from the resort (Riu Bachata). We both like the idea of climbing Pico Duarte and prefer natural or cultural sites especially when there is a bit of walking involved.

Thank you so much for this feedback it is greatly appreciated

Sam & Andy

Good decision, driving here is brutal.  2 hours equals, Santiago, Luperon, and past cabarete to the east... that is a lot of area to cover. Lots to see and do.

Yes you will have plenty to do. Pico Duarete will not be one of them as it is a two day climb plus a day of transport each way.
A day trip to Santiago via the Moca road is beautiful and have lunch at the top of the mountain before Moca in la Cumbre at a place called Molina's. Best goat stew you will find here. One of our favorite stops.

Bob K

Mica road, is that carretera turistica,  twisty road to Santiago?

Looked up the stories on the waterfall deaths and it is very tragic indeed :-/ but unfortunately the idea of profit before safety virus is spreading world wide.  In the U.S. We are so used to safety, because we have the proper agencies that do their jobs in each area. 

Unfortunately I have noticed in the D.R. It is a free for all! Safety is not an issue until someone gets hurt :-/ I see it on every trip I take.  I just bought a friend who lives there a smoke detector for their home last October,  after they expressed some concerns about one of the kids having a penchant for playing with fire! It is now April 12 and guess what? The detector is still sitting in the box in which it arrived, no one has bothered to install the item which could possibly save everyone in the house.  I even bought the concrete drill bits to facilitate the installation.  I told them that I'm willing to bet I will be back in May this year and the detector is still not installed! It is the same issue with the motorcycle riding without helmets! So many daily deaths and still no helmets???? What gives!!! I just think it is just a cultural thing, they live for the day and don't worry about tomorrow.

Only when tragedy strikes is when they lightly consider what could have been, and even then they rarely make changes.  A great man once said: Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expect to get different results! As a tourist you must asses the danger level on your own and trust your instincts.  If it looks unsafe or feels unsafe, there is a good chance it is not for you. The addition of helmets and life jackets have improved the falls, but there still need to be signs as to possible danger spots and undercurrents, first aid and evacuation training, and tour closings on heavy rain days where water currents and levels are dangerously high.

Semana Santa starts Monday culminating with the big party weekend starting next Friday right at the strike of midnight.  I must admit.  I did it once and I don't think I will do it again.  On playa Cabarete it is a free for all. Overcrowding, blatant drinking on the beach in excesss and no security check points to know if any weapons are being ported by the partying patrons.  There are politur police on the scene, but there is no way that small number of cops can controll a crowd that size, that weekend party tradition is just another mishap waiting to happen :-/  I would hate to think what would happen if there was a shootout and a stampede insued.  Bottom line, asses the safety levels and proceed at your own risks!

No Darlene the moca road runs from sabaneta (just east of Cabarete) to Moca then on to Tamboril and Santiago.
Very senic and not as twisty as the touristica road and in pretty good shape for driving. It is how we go to Santiago from our house.

Bob K

Massagewiz and the last two deaths  (middle aged couple) happened after they started using helmets and life jackets.

There is almost no or very little regard for life here and that does not change no matter what happens. That is why driving is do dangerous here among other things.

Bob K

Here you hear constantly " que dios quiere" what God wants.  They put everything into living in the moment!

An ex boyfriend's brother was killed after a motorcycle accident.  He landed on his head and died!  His brother....... still did not use his helmet!!!! They see it firsthand and still won't change!

Easter - semana santa - starts today. In my opinion it is the worst week to be in this country. By Wednesday and Thursday there will be a mass transit to the beaches and the countryside.  The resort's are overbooked, the roads will be deadly, beaches full.....Not my idea of fun.

It is a wonderful time to stay in the city... hardly anyone on the roads from Thursday until Sunday night!!!! I love it!

We actually have to go to SD Wed. but will be home by 5 or so.  We will not leave the villa after that till Monday morning.

Bob K

Wednesday won't be too bad..... drive careful!!!

No way am I driving. Only driving to Santiago to get to our lawyers, then she is driving to SD.  Hope to be in SD by  10am and out by noon. 

Bob K

Fingers crossed for you. Most gov't office already I holiday mode!!! Have her double check on Tuesday Bob....

Thanks for the heads up. I will have her check

Bob K

Yes the offices are open till Thursday, but she wanted to go next week instead. So next Wednesday.

Bob K

Good plan, offices are open but no one is actually doing anything....

Is that not the case on most days????  :D

Bob K

HAHAHA. Ok good point!

LoL you and Bob are Killing me :-) I'm reading the last few posts and you are right on target.  I don't have the same number of years on the island as you 2, but I must agree. Customer service there sucks! Majorly! They just did an exposé on Noticias SIN about how difficult it is to reach any government agency by phone.  The phone rings and rings till the call gets dropped and if you reach someone, be prepared to be transferred to Casper the friendly ghost.  Semana Santa really is the worse! Been there done that! Never again! Too many rowdy drunken folks.  I prefer the quiet after the storm! :-)
  Lo que Dios quiere is a very common saying, but I also feel it is a cop out.  The good book says: The Lord helps those who help themselves, which I take it to mean:  I will give you a hand, but you need to make the initial push! With that mindset no wonder things are still behind!

The Biggest Joke is the 911 system which is being implemented. I will give them an E for effort, but I think they are constructing a building without a foundation.  The government has invested millions in this new security system. I'm wondering how often they are going to answer that phone? I don't have much hopes for the system since the Island's infrastructure, the police, as well as the emergency force is not set up to properly  respond to these emergencies.  Colombia Bogota implemented the same system a few years back and although they have 24 hours electricity, no water issues, neighborhoods with working hydrants, ample well paid police force, emergency, and military force! Their 911 system ended up collapsing and is a city where it's citizens walk around feeling a high level of insecurity.  Ask anyone, Bogotá is simply not a safe city.  :-/

In order for this 911 system to work well, the government should first work on fixing the electricity problem which time and time again in studies has been proven to elevate crime rates.  Lack of fire hydrants, proper fire trucks with well equipped personnel and tools, plus ambulances, with the aforementioned requirements, will only lead to a useless 911 system. President Medina has been doing an amazing job in many areas, but on this project, I don't think he has the proper advisors surrounding him. :-/ this is just my humble opinion as an outsider looking in.  What I lack in living experience on the Island, I try to make up in daily, newspaper, newscast, and conversations with Dominicans living both here and there.

911 system is like many well intentioned and ill conceived projects in the country. There is a saying "if it ain't broke don't fix it"  here it is really "it is broke and can't fix it".
Until corruption, drug dealing police, electricity, education (some steps are thankfully being taken), law enforcement are fixed not much will change here.  So we all learn to accept it....sad.

Bob K

the 911 system has been funded almost completely from outside.  The last I read they received motorcycles that will be used by "medicos" to respond to emergencies!!!! Imagine. 

No I cannot see this working very well at all!  I tell everyone, if you have an emergency get a taxi a friend an any way possible to get your ass to an emergency room at a private clinic. Do NOT wait for an ambulance or any kind of emergency response.

As to fire truck and fire hydrants - do you know almost all our buildings are made of concrete block right.....we have amazingly few fires....... just an interesting point......LOL

They checked the fire hydrants in Sosua a few years ago and found most not connected to anything... go figure.
Also up till a year or so ago we did not even have a functioning fire truck. Thanks to a group in Canada we now have one.

As to most places are built of block and cement they are pretty fire resistant. but those that are not or have a lot of wood inside or out if they catch fire then usually the fire department can save the foundation but not always.  Look at the Jolly Rodger bar in Sosua.  In 30 minutes it was totally leveled.

Bob K

True Bob.  Here in the capital there are fire hydrants and we have a few trucks too............ it is only the very poor barrios that have much wood in them, and a few small businesses in specific areas, but not much.