3 months allowed to stay

From what I read as an eu member its possible to stay 3 months here without applying for the residential id. I don't expect it but if there are additional delays its possible the 3 months won't be enough for me to get everything concerning self employment registered to apply for the residential id as self employed.

Would it be possible in that case to just leave malta for one day at the end of the 3 months to get another 3 months after coming back? Anything specific to consider if doing so or just leave and come back the next day?

Are you an EU citizen?

if so then you really need not worry too much about the card....having it or not having it

Yes I'm EU citizen.

toonarmy9752 wrote:

if so then you really need not worry too much about the card....having it or not having it

Why not? From what I understand the only other option is to go for the 6 months but I'm not sure if it still would be accepted as searching for a job if I have already partially registered as self employed.

You are required by law to register your residence after 3 months (or 6 if officially looking for a job), but the clock is reset if you leave and return. What TA means is that many dont bother fulfilling their legal obligations, and the authorities dont seem that bothered.

miker7 wrote:

Yes I'm EU citizen.

toonarmy9752 wrote:

Why not? From what I understand the only other option is to go for the 6 months but I'm not sure if it still would be accepted as searching for a job if I have already partially registered as self employed.

If I was you, I wouldn't worry too much with that. I've arrived in Malta in April/2013, applied for my Social Security card straight away, registered myself as self-employed with ETC in June, and meanwhile applied for my ID card. Got the interview for the ID card in Aug and at the end of September, beginning of October, I collected my ID card. Did not even worried too much about the 3 months time they theoretically give you as a tourist.

eResidence cards (not ID cards any more) are being issued really quickly now - heard of someone recently getting theirs in about 2 weeks

georgeingozo wrote:

eResidence cards (not ID cards any more) are being issued really quickly now - heard of someone recently getting theirs in about 2 weeks

We all know it's called eResidence GnG, but it's so much easier to say/type ID card. True, it's not taking as long as used to take before to get them.

Newbies won't know the difference,  and if they think it's an id card they will end up applying in the wrong place

You might be right George but then again, anytime here someone asks you for the e-Residence card, they all ask you for the ID card :-) But like you say, it's good to know its correct name.

its an administrative requirement at best - no real need for it as an EU natiional  - "freedom of movement" gives you the  right to live wherever you wish in the EU. the card is becoming less useful as time passes

It's still a legal requirement to register residence if the host country requires it, and Malta does.Yes, it's primarily administrative, but still an obligation to do it.

It's function is primarily to show you won't be a financial burden on the host country

Thanks for the answers about it not beeing that strict.

georgeingozo wrote:

You are required by law to register your residence after 3 months (or 6 if officially looking for a job), but the clock is reset if you leave and return. What TA means is that many dont bother fulfilling their legal obligations, and the authorities dont seem that bothered.

I'm still curious concerning the leave and return this would be for one day or is there anything more to it? Basically if I have to do some business in another country and stay there for one or two days in a hotel it would get a reset?

there is no set criteria - if Malta shared a land border with another EU country, you could probably just step across the border and back again !

miker7 wrote:

Thanks for the answers about it not beeing that strict.

georgeingozo wrote:

I'm still curious concerning the leave and return this would be for one day or is there anything more to it? Basically if I have to do some business in another country and stay there for one or two days in a hotel it would get a reset?

You don't have to leave then come back... The Maltese authorities do not have a record of EU citizens who arrive in Malta, they do not scan your passport when you arrive, so they will not know how long you have been here before you get your E Residence card, you have to tell them that information. The authorities have also said that they will not actively seek out people who don't have an E Residence card & will not deport you for not having one. Yes you are legally 'meant' to have one, but many don't bother...

GNG agree to a point  - but in reality it isnt necessary - its not enforced and never will be  - this has been happening for years and nobody really cares... the thousand who have applied have got them but there are thousands who havent bothered now or before - for whatever their reasons

its not worth the worry - nobody checks it  - as long as you have your EU passport you will be fine - they cannot kick you out. worst case is a small fine  - and to be honest i dont know anyone who has had action taken against them...and when it does am sure there will be an outcry.

toonarmy9752 wrote:

and never will be

never say never :-)

It would be an easy way for the government to raise money - I think the fine is € 232 * maybe 10,000 = € 2.3m

toonarmy9752 wrote:

am sure there will be an outcry.

quite possibly, but now the cards are being issued in a matter of weeks, I wouldn't put it past them - its an easy target as by definition none of these people have votes in the general election

There is a bit of road near my house where people have parked cars for years. Just recently wardens have been issuing tickets as its near a stop sign, and lots of people have complained saying we've been parking there for years and never had a ticket. Official reply was tough, law might not have been applied in the past, but it is now.

georgeingozo wrote:
toonarmy9752 wrote:

and never will be

never say never :-)

It would be an easy way for the government to raise money - I think the fine is € 232 * maybe 10,000 = € 2.3m

toonarmy9752 wrote:

am sure there will be an outcry.

quite possibly, but now the cards are being issued in a matter of weeks, I wouldn't put it past them - its an easy target as by definition none of these people have votes in the general election

Surely even if you hold a new EID you cannot vote in a general election in Malta ?
Also until the EID is issued immediately ( ie when you turn up with the necessary paperwork) as required under EU legislation then the Maltese authorities would be unlikely to take any action?

Terry

"Surely even if you hold a new EID you cannot vote in a general election in Malta ? " correct, hence why no qualms about upsetting us

"Also until the EID is issued immediately ( ie when you turn up with the necessary paperwork) as required under EU legislation then the Maltese authorities would be unlikely to take any action? " quite possibly, but 2 wrongs dont make a right

There is also the matter that they are unlikely to enforce it until they can cope with all the people who havent applied, all applying at the same time.I dont think they will enforce it for now, just saying if they do, people have no excuse for complaining if they get fined.

FlamingGalah! wrote:

You don't have to leave then come back... The Maltese authorities do not have a record of EU citizens who arrive in Malta, they do not scan your passport when you arrive, so they will not know how long you have been here before you get your E Residence card, you have to tell them that information. The authorities have also said that they will not actively seek out people who don't have an E Residence card & will not deport you for not having one. Yes you are legally 'meant' to have one, but many don't bother...

Yes but in the taxpayer registration papers they asked for arrival date. I have done that already so they know it.

But with a worst case scenario of 232€ fine and the option to just leave for a short time it shouldn't be a problem. Thanks for the help.

resident for tax, and resident are different issues - you can be neither, both or either, depending on your circumstances

resident - staying more than 3 months at a time

tax resident - spending more than 180-ish days (cant remember exact number) in a calendar year

bottom line its Malta

nothing happens quickly ever

plus where EU legislation is concerned they havent coped at all well with the requirements of it and being a EU member state

as for raising much needed capital - am surprised they havent done so  - they've used every other trick in the book to fleece the foriegner so why delay this one.....but putting their own house in order would be a much bigger win - tax evasion and corruption and taking those to court who blatantly rob a deceive.... not let them off with a minor slap

Indeed, they could raise tens of thousands if they ever actually fined someone for not picking up their dogs crap or people that drop litter or dump rubbish somewhere. The local warden that drives round here only ever seems interested in how cars are parked, though I did see her one day shouting at some poor bloke whos very well behaved dog was not on his lead walking around the deserted sat pans/rocks  :whistle: And then there's all the people who drink & drive or those that don't bother strapping their kids in their cars etc.. etc...

the list is endless to say the least

don't worry about if you are an EU citizen

yes