TRADITIONAL BRAZILIAN RECIPES

As a follow-up to my posting on Christmas recipes I have decided to start this thread on other traditional recipes for your enjoyment.

Churrasco a Brasileira / Barbecue Brazilian Style
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTbqRLvrbmERBff8dKcpNWZvrChH04dN_2Oneq5qCxPbcldO2ID
Sorry, here I must publicly admit that we North Americans don't know the first thing about barbecue. Hotdogs, hamburgers and the odd steak or two simply doesn't cut if folks. Brazilians really know barbecue and it's delicious.

While there are certain meats that are almost universal for a Brazilian style barbecuse (picanha, maminha, fraldinha, filet mignon, chicken wings / drumettes, lingiça sausage, pork ribs) there are also regional additions to the menu like chicken hearts, fish, vegetables, etc.

A good barbecue starts with the fire itself. Lighting the coals and controlling the temperature is an acquired skill which can make or break the event. First of all I would recommend staying away from using alcohol or any commercial charcoal lighter fluids, the wax disks that come with many bags of charcoal. These leave a horrible taste on the meat. What I use is crumpled pieces of the charcoal bag itself, rolled bits of toilet paper mixed in with the coals and soak everything with cooking oil. Light the paper bits and soon the oil catches on which gets the coals going. You can also put chunks of the meat fat trimmings on top of the coals too. (Now you know why your neighbor's barbecue always smells so irresistable).

Let the coals burn until there are no more open flames, they are all coated with a thin layer of ash and are glowing. Now you can spread them around the grill. Make sure to leave an area without coals that won't have lots of heat so you can control cooking by removing things from direct heat.

How to cut Picanha for the grill
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_um-UlQx-uZw/SYM1TbilEwI/AAAAAAAAAUM/9wnCFsBpzDM/s400/1_picanha.jpg
Picanha is one of the most traditional cuts of beef for the barbecue. It should be placed on the cutting board, fat side up and cut into thick slabs about the with of two or three fingers (depending on the size of your hand).
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSAJboDRh4oy44N5xxFfOd1JrnmlhIHev9-8pdAilXeugA7ZP47gw
Once cut it should be salted and left to stand a while, then placed on the skewer in the traditional semi-circular shape,fat side out.

Salting Meat for the Grill

Contrary to everything I've been taught about cooking meats in North America, what makes Brazilian barbecue so different and delicious is that they actually do salt their meats shortly before cooking. Use either coarse salt or the specially seasoned coarse salt for the barbecue. Spread a light sprinkling of the salt over the meat, flip it and do the same on the other side. It should stand for only a while before going to the grill (about 10 to 15 minutes max.). Never use wet or humid coarse salt and don't use regular table salt under any circumstances.

Special Cooking for Some Meats

Pork ribs and Linguiça sausage should be par-boiled before taken to the grill. The sausages should be pierced with a fork several times in order to prevent them from bursting. They should be cleaned of any of the foam that results from the boiling and the sausages should have two or three diagonal cuts made in the surface. They may be cooked directly on the grill or on a two prong skewer.

Barbecued Chicken Wings / Drumettes

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRglPKS76TqHzC27wyRo9EXVGXEdS6nWV5YzzNdzqXrI3aAu1nkRQ

I actually prefer drumettes since they have more meat, but the choice is yours.

Dry the chicken pieces with paper towel and place in a shallow glass baking dish or plastic container.

Marinade

2 - 3 cloves of garlic finely chopped
juice of one lime (limão here in Brazil)
1/3 cup of olive oil
dash of salt
rosemary or oregano to taste

Marinade the chicken in the fridge for at least two hours before going to the grill.

If desired they can be painted with a thin glaze of honey an orange juice moments before they are fully cooked, but they are absolutely delicious just as is.

Barbecued Linguiça Sausage

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcStXFf44z5eHbnwQ2kvPy71aSiAo3U2fGVxtcJGj8Kvi_Z4fR9P

Choose a good quality pork linguiça sausage. Use fresh not frozen sausages for best results.

Pierce the sausages all over with the tines of a fork to prevent them from bursting. Boil until almost cooked and remove from water to cool. Carefully clean off any of the foam that results from boiling with paper towels.

Make a two or three diagonal cuts on the surface of each sausage and place on the grill to finish cooking and become golden brown.

Molho Vinagrete
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRm-ajF7u3kR7KxAcIDMlHLh_djcIPSdahVpO3WX6juAnFIttdN
No self respecting barbecue could be without the Brazilian Molho Vinagrete.

Finely chop one large onion, two tomatoes, one green pepper, one red pepper, one clove garlic, parsley and chives. Mix with olive oil and vinegar, salt and pepper to taste.

Chill before serving as an accompaniment, generally served with piping hot cooked rice.

MAIONESE DE BATATA / POTATO SALAD
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSgUw52ct-sYDgTZ0TVd0HDvLn4T2g1bSw7EtmebUJxxuyDSXvv

5 - 6 large white potatoes
2 cans Select mixed vegetables
1 large onion chopped
6 hard cooked eggs
mayonnaise
1/4 cup prepared mustard
salt and pepper to taste

Peel potatoes cut into large chunks and boil until cooked but still firm. Remove from water and let cool. Once cooled cut into smaller chunks if desired.

In a large bowl add the mixed vegetables (drained) to the potatoes, chopped onion, 3 hard cooked eggs chopped, salt and pepper, add mayonnaise and mustard mixing gently until desired consistency is reached. Decorate with slices of hard cooked eggs, sprigs of fresh parsley, etc. Chill and serve.

ABACAXI NA BRASA / GRILLED PINEAPPLE

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS-LVBLZ8S4uPC-S6ITi4GR7qcWXpSHwCD0B8N6cckZqjaEAqSB

If you haven't tried it yet, you have no idea what a taste sensation you are missing.

Cut the rind and quarter a fresh pineapple. Place on skewer and sprinkle with a mixture of sugar and cinnamon powder. Place on hot grill until golden brown patches appear.

This is the most delicious accompaniment for barbecued meats that you could possibly imagine.

FEIJOADA A BRASILEIRA

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR0H73w8SFu9dwr1cHR20v1WfYoZUxOBLm91e9VC7rsNMWzgFvE
As Brazilian as soccer and Samba, this traditional Brazilian dish with a base of black beans was created by the slaves. It is the house specialty of many Brazilian restaurants and is served every Wednesday and Saturday in most places. It's just as easy to make at home too, if you have the mind to do so. I tried this dish for the very first time back in Canada and it turned me into a Brazilian immediately.... bye folks, I'm off to Brazil! LOL

INGREDIENTS

Preparation time  -  2h 20min     Yield  -  20 servings

1 kg of black beans
100 g of Carne Seca (jerked beef)
70 g pig ear
70 g pigtail
70 g pig foot
100 g of pork ribs
50 g of pork loin
100 g of paio (sausage)
150 g Portuguese sausage

seasoning:

2 large onions chopped
1 bunch green onions, chopped
3 bay leaves
6 cloves garlic
Black pepper to taste
1 or 2 oranges
40 ml of rum (optional)

PREPARATION

Soak the meat (in refrigerator) for 36 hours or more, changing the water several times

Cut the meats in chunks and cook step by step harder meats first then adding the softer meats

Cook the black beans in a pressure cooker (with water level about 1/2 to 1 inch above the beans) until soft and add meats

Finally season the beans and allow to continue cooking uncovered for another 15 min. or so to pick up the flavors.

If you find the broth a bit too watery for your liking spoon off some of the black beans and either give them a quick whiz in the blender or crush using a mortar and pestle, return to the broth to thicken it a bit.

Accompaniments:

Sautéed (shredded) Kale with butter and garlic, white rice, orange slices, pork chops, Torresmo (pork rinds), deep fried mandioca

Caldo de Mandioca (Cassava Soup)

http://www.myfashionlife.com.br/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/sopa-cafe-journal.jpg

Preparation time: 50 min.      Servings: 8

Ingredients:

2 liters of water for cooking mandioca (cassava)
2 cubes beef bouillon (or your preference, beef, picanha, bacon, chicken)
500 g cassava peeled and cut into small pieces
2 ripe (unpeeled) tomatoes, without seeds, chopped
5 tablespoons olivef oil
1 large onion, chopped
1 bunch of cheiro-verde chopped
Salt and chopped red pepper to taste
100 g diced bacon
1 Paio sausage diced (about 150g)
1 large Calabresa pepperoni diced (about 300g)
5 cloves garlic, crushed
250 g flank steak (fraldinha) cooked and shredded

Preparation:

Combine bouillon cubes (of your preference) and chopped cassava in a saucepan with 2 liters of water, boil for about 20 min or until the cassava is tender.Set aside to cool slightly.

Transfer to a blender (already cooked cassava and cooking broth) and pulse until reaching the desired consistency. (I prefer to have some chunks of cassava remaining). Set aside.

In a bowl, mix chopped tomatoes, olive oil, chopped onion, 1/2 of the chopped cheiro-verde (reserve the other half to top the soup), salt and chopped red pepper to taste.
Set aside.

In a saucepan over medium heat, add diced bacon, Paio sausage, Calabresa sausage, crushed garlic and onion. Saute for 15 min.

Add tomato mixture and shredded flank steak, stir well.
Add the cassava puree and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring constantly.

Serve in deep ceramic bowls or hollowed out individual loaves of bread for something different.

Sprinkle with the remainder of the chopped cheiro-verde

If, like me, you're into hot pepper sauce this is a dish that just begs loads of hot sauce and an ice cold beer as an accompaniment.

TORTA HOLANDESA

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-l7ZW3vcn_as/UEUow0QLycI/AAAAAAAAp4M/fA0tXIyw7hE/s400/torta%2Bholandesa%2Bdiet.jpg

Despite its name Torta Holandesa was NOT invented in Holland. In fact this delicious treat was invented in Campinas - SP by Silvia Leite in 1991.

Preparation Time: 45 min. or more              Servings: 8

INGREDIENTS

1 pkg. Maria or Maizena brand biscuits
3/4 cup butter or margarine
200 g  white chocolate chopped in small chunks
200 g  cream cheese
1 1/2 cans heavy cream (creme de leite)
1 Tsp. Vanilla extract
2 egg whites
2 Tbsp. sugar
4 Tsp. unflavored gelatin powder
6 Tbsp.  boiling water
100 g  semi-sweet chocolate chopped in small chunks
1 pkg. Nestlé brand Calipso biscuits (or similar)

PREPARATION

Pulse Maria/Maizena biscuits in a blender until finely crumbled and mix with butter or margerine at room temperature.

Line the bottom of a greased round cake form (removable bottom) with parchment or waxed paper and press the biscuit mixture evenly around the entire form.

To prepare the cream filling melt the white chocolate in the microwave or in a bain-marie.

Beat the cream cheese with 1 can of heavy cream and then stir in the melted chocolate until thoroughly blended. Beat egg whites into a stiff cream and fold into the chocolate cream cheese mixture. Disolve 2 Tsp. of unflavored gelatin in 3 Tbsp. of boiling water and mix into the filling. Pour evenly into the base of the cake form.  (If desired reserve a small amount to pipe onto the top as decoration)

Place in the refrigerator until  firm.

While the base is cooling prepare the chocolate topping.

Disolve remaining 2 Tsp. of unflavored gelatin in 3 Tbsp. of boiling water, melt the semi-sweet chocolate in the bain-marie  with 1/2 can of heavy cream, remove from heat and mix in the gelatin, stirring well.

Spread the dark chocolate topping evenly over the filling layer, saving a small amount to use to fix the Calipso biscuits to the sides of the torta.

Return to the refrigerator until firm and serve chilled. If desired decorate the top with shaved semi-sweet chocolate or pipe on a design with a bit of the white chocolate filling.

Just before serving

Dob a bit of the chocolate topping on the uncoated side of the Calipso biscuits and place them tightly around the outside of the entire torta with the chocolate coating facing outward. Use more small dobs of the chocolate mixture to keep them in place if necessary.

Note: You can line the sides of the form with the Calipso biscuits before pouring in the filling and topping if you wish to do so, but they might end up being a bit mushy. Still works OK.

As a Dutchman, I have no clue as to why it's called torta holandesa. Never seen anything alike in the netherlands.

Hi Sven,

Brazilians! Go figure!

I guess they thought it wouldn't catch on if they called it Torta Campinas. hehehehehe

http://yoursmiles.org/tsmile/flag/t67118.gif  Cheers,  http://yoursmiles.org/tsmile/flag/t67054.gif
  William James Woodward – Brazil Animator, Expat-blog Team

MOQUECA DE PEIXE (Fish Stew)
https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT1llh7STVt82qp42BtzVNzjZ5K-5044ZBMU5nX1JcMyQns8kZY
Preparation time: 1h 10min    Number of servings: 4

INGREDIENTS

4 Shark or Grouper steaks (700 grams to 1 Kg.)
juice of 1 lime
1 large onion, sliced
1 red pepper cut into slices
1 green pepper, cut into slices
2 ripe tomatoes cut into slices
2 Tbsp.  chopped cilantro
200 ml of coconut milk  (leite de coco that is white and comes in a bottle and not água de coco which is clear and comes from a green coconut)
1 Tbsp.  Palm oil (azeite-de-dendê)
2 shrimp broth cubes or 1 cup fish stock
200 - 300 g medium size shrimp, peeled and cleaned (optional)

PREPARATION

Wash the fish, drizzle with lime juice and leave to marinate for about 1 hour in a large pan, arrange the fish, onion, peppers and tomatoes and sprinkle with cilantro.

Crumble the cubes of shrimp broth or add some fish stock, mix the coconut milk and pour over the fish
Bring to a low heat, with the pot partially covered, for 20 minutes

Occasionally stir gently (not to break the fish), add shrimp toward the end of cooking if desired

Stir in the palm oil, taste the seasoning and add salt if necessary

Remove from heat, sprinkle with more cilantro and serve

Thanks for sharing. And yes the BBQ is not even comparable to North America. Brazilian BBQ unbeatable +1

You bet Matt, I'm a prisoner here in Brazil, imprisoned by the incredible food....... could never go back home and do without the taste delights here, never, never, never.

http://yoursmiles.org/tsmile/flag/t67118.gif  Cheers,  http://yoursmiles.org/tsmile/flag/t67054.gif
  William James Woodward – Brazil Animator, Expat-blog Team

I really don't like grouper (cação?) that much. I prefer to make moqueca with Dourado.

As to BBQ, I like both. American BBQ (southern) is especially good when it comes to Pork. But I also love a nice peace of picanha on my BBQ.

I have one of those concrete bbq's. when I do linguica, I always put them on the "top floor" on low heat, to cook. That way they won't burst. Later on, to give them some color, I put them closer to the fire. I find they don't dry out.

lawyer_rio wrote:

As a Dutchman, I have no clue as to why it's called torta holandesa. Never seen anything alike in the netherlands.

From the information that I've been able to find out, she called it Torta Holandesa, as a homage to the time when she lived in Holland.

Acarajé (only for the brave)

http://cafecomamigas.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/acaraje_receita.jpg

If you love extremely hot and spicy foods or if you've already fallen in love with this traditional snack sold in the streets of Bahia then you may want to try your hand at making them yourself. If you're brave like I am follow the recipe exactly. If not, don't add the Malagueta Peppers  in the filling or go very sparingly on them. Just give a splash or two of the hot sauce instead.

INGREDIENTS

1 Kg. Feijão Fradinho (olho de pombo)  "black eyed beans"
4  Onions chopped
Salt to taste
Azeite de Dendê "palm oil" to taste

FILLING

4 - 6  Pimenta Malagueta   "Malagueta Peppers"  chopped finely (optional for the faint hearted)
Azeite de Dendê about 1/4 cup
100 g  cleaned shrimp
1 green pepper  - chopped finely
Farinha de Mandioca  "Cassava Flour" to thicken

1 L Azeite de Dendê (less what you've actually used in the recipe) for deep frying the fritters.

PREPARATION

BATTER - Soak the beans in cold water for at least 2 hours or more, changing the water frequently. In the final soak rub the beans between your hands vigorously to remove the husks, Discarding the husks.

Spin the beans, onion, salt, dash of Azeite de Dendê in a blender to form a smooth paste, adding a bit of water if needed. You should end up with a heavy batter of the consistency for making fritters (maybe something that has about the same consistency as the mixture to make meatloaf, for example).

Heat the Azeite de Dendê using a tablespoon place the batter into the pan to deep fry until a dark golden brown. Drain on brown paper or paper towels

FILLING -  Chop the Malagueta Peppers finely and sauté in a bit of Azeite de Dendê, add shrimp and continue to sauté until the shrimp are cooked.

Add the Cassava flour and chopped green pepper to the cooked shrimp and sauté to heat up the mixture.

FINAL PREPARATION

With the fritters and filling now ready, slice the fritters about 3/4 of the way through and stuff with the hot shrimp filling making it a "sandwich".

For the really courageous you may even want to add a splash or two of Pimenta Malagueta hot sauce too. (Just remember the number to ring up the Fire Dept. is 193 here in Brazil)

Enjoy!!!

AÇAI NA TIGELA a smooth chiller

http://desenblogue.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/3d9899746b78a7dece65298d460958ac.jpg

400 g  Açai berries or pulp chilled well
60 g  Granola
2  Bananas sliced
2 Tbsp. Sugar
2 - 3 ice cubes
Honey, Corn Syrup or Guarana Syrup to top dish
Kiwi slices and Strawberry wedges (or any other fruits) to garnish.

FINAL PREPARATION

Spin the Açai, ice cubes, sugar in a blender until you've got a smooth and very cold homogeous paste. Place in bowls, sprinkle granola over the top and add banana slices. Drizzle honey or syrup over the top and garnish with other fruits. Serve icy cold.

BBQ Requeijão or Queijo Coalho Kabobs (no longer legally sold on Brazilian beaches)

http://www.sertanorte.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/churrasco.jpg

If you're like me and you really miss this toasty treat that used to be sold by the vendors on every beach in Brazil, a practice which has now been outlawed, then this recipe is so simple you shouldn't forget to include it as part of your next barbecue.

Just skewer some big cubes of requeijão or coalho cheese and then toast them over the hot coals until golden brown and chewy. Just don't put them down on the grill and make sure to rotate them as each side gets toasted.

Yum!!!

Pão de Queijo Brazilian cheese bread

Now you too can make the best known Brazilian treat right at home!

http://www.receitasdemae.com.br/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/pao-de-queijo-com-mandioca.jpg

INGREDIENTS

1 Kg   Polvilho azedo (fermented mandioca starch)
2 1/2 cups (600 ml)   Water
1 1/4 cups (300 ml)   Cooking oil
1 1/4 cups (300 ml)   Milk
1 Tbsp                      Salt
6                               Eggs
150 g (6 oz) pack     Grated Parmesan cheese (more if desired)

PREPARATION

1.  Mix the polvilho azedo and parmesan cheese in a mixing bowl and set aside.
2.  Combine the water, oil, milk and salt in a saucepan over medium heat and scald until begins to foam up.
3.  Remove from heat and pour over the polvilho, mixing well.
4.  Let cool (to touch).
5.  Add eggs one-by-one mixing well with a fork as you go.
6.  Mix the dough well with your hands and form into small balls (of desired size) and place on a greased baking sheet. Bake in a pre-heated 200º C oven for 20 min.
7.  Reduce heat to low and let bake for another 5 min. to dry.

Makes 15 - 30 units depending on size of ball

Pudim de Leite Condensado Traditional Brazilian condensed milk egg custard

http://criabolos.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/img_3009.jpg?w=535&h=371

INGREDIENTS

1 can   Condensed milk
1 can   Milk
4          Eggs

Syrup

1 cup      Sugar
1/3 cup   Water

PREPARATION

Mix the condensed milk, milk and eggs well in a blender.

Pour into a greased ring pan and bake in a bain marie in a pre-heated 180º C oven for about an hour and half. Make sure to keep the water level up in the bain marie.

When cooked remove from the oven and cool, refrigerate for about 6 hours.

Combine the sugar and water in a saucepan and make a caramel and pour over the pudding. Leave to chill until served.