How do you get someone to hire you in EU?

Hi everyone,

I'm a serbian national who's finished university in Italy and is looking for work (as a graphic designer) - in Italy or in another european country like Germany or the Netherlands.

The problem is I find it really difficult to get employment (regular contract so i can switch my student visa to a working visa) - everyone just prefers hiring someone who is already a EU national with a work permit.

I've heard that in order for a sponsor to employ a foreigner they have to do a lot of paperwork, there are fees, and you still might not get a job if there's another person who fits your description but is allowed to work.

What is your advice?

Thanks a million

y

Hi Yasmine_b,

Welcome on board to this site.

I reply on your message because you have the interest to work in the Netherlands as well.
I advise you to read the sticky topic on the Netherlands forum "New to Holland" where you can find useful information about visa and much more.

If you still have questions you can ask on the forum.

Happy searching!

Hello yasmine_b,

Judging from the flood of inquiries that I keep getting from members in EU countries about how to immigrate to Brazil or Canada it appears that the unemployment situation in all the EU countries is getting worse every day. That is having a really adverse effect on both the local population as well as expats. I don't think the situation is going to improve anytime soon either.

You may want to expand your horizons and look beyond the EU and maybe even maybe overseas to countries that are experiencing economic growth. Just a thought.

Cheers,
William James Woodward, Expat-blog Experts Team

Thanks for your help Primadonna!

Yes I would also love to try and find a job in Holland, and the 'new to holland' website seems really useful!

In your experience, is it difficult for a Dutch employer to hire a non-eu national?

thanks again!

Thank you William! This is actually really good advice, I agree with you, unfortunately on the other hand one does not decide easily to move to another continent on their own!

I will definitely give it a thought though!