Are you Homesick?

Hi all I just wondered if anyone out there was still Homesick after living in the UAE. I have been here for nearly a year now and although not as bad as before, I am still missing my home in the UK...

How long does it take to get over it.?

A question to you: do you ask the people who are currently living in the UAE or just in general?

i never feel homesick :)

Pari1 wrote:

Hi all I just wondered if anyone out there was still Homesick after living in the UAE. I have been here for nearly a year now and although not as bad as before, I am still missing my home in the UK...

Hi there, :)
What exactly do you miss in UK?

I am not homesick.  :)
(edit added: Thanks for asking! )

I'm not homesick because I'm at home.
My beautiful wife and lovely daughter make this my home, not just where I happen to live.

it was aimed at the people in the UAE but any one can answer

Pari1 wrote:

It's great you specified, because I was afraid I committed a big crime ...  :(

Don't worry about it,,,

Pari1 wrote:

Don't worry about it,,,

Yes, but you still did not specify what exactly you miss from UK ...   :blink:

Pari1 wrote:

Then you should ask this question at the UAE forum.

thanks for the obvious

sylvie3 wrote:

i never feel homesick :)

That's because you did not leave home as yet ...

Yes every time I leave the island I feel homesick and cannot wait to get back. In the last 8 years I have been back to the US a total of 37 days and don't miss a thing except maybe a good prime rib.

Bob K

Apart from the occasional depressed day, when I did dream of never having ventured out of my comfort zone, I have never really been homesick in 15 years abroad. In fact, I quickly (usually after just 6 months or so) felt equally at home in most places I stayed. The secret, if there is any, seems to be concentrating on the positive aspects of the new location, which for an open-minded and curious person almost always outweigh the negatives. And as for things you miss, take them along! For example, rather than missing home food or complaining that "XXX" (old location) restaurants at "YYY" (new location) are no good, I got busy cooking at home myself. That way, I have only myself to blame if it's no good. More often, however, I tried to cook the newly found exotic dishes of the place I had arrived in, just to prove myself that I can also do it!

Bob K wrote:

Yes every time I leave the island I feel homesick and cannot wait to get back. In the last 8 years I have been back to the US a total of 37 days and don't miss a thing except maybe a good prime rib.

Bob K

Bob,
USA has so many islands: on the East coast, the West coast and in the Pacific Ocean.

You don't think you would have liked it to live in one of them instead of the mainland or abroad?  :/

Nope. Part of living on  a  Caribbean island is to get away from all the hassles, regulations, and rules of the US.   I like the simpler life.  Yes there are lots of new problems like no reliable electricity, no drinkable water, crazy drivers and such.  But the good so far outweighs the negative.

Bob K

Bob K wrote:

Nope. Part of living on  a  Caribbean island is to get away from all the hassles, regulations, and rules of the US.   I like the simpler life.  Yes there are lots of new problems like no reliable electricity, no drinkable water, crazy drivers and such.  But the good so far outweighs the negative.

Bob K

Thank you for your reply.
You definitely are a Caribbean man.  :top:

This is something sending a strong message to Pari1, the author of this thread.  Who the heck needs UK or UAE?  ;)

Pari1 wrote:

To answer the question.

My experience of living in several different countries is that it takes somewhere between 3 to 6 months to feel 'at home' in your new environment. From then on you stop feeling homesick so much ... but you may still miss special things, like foodstuffs, products in shops or television shows etc. etc.
Regards
Elwin

El_Jost wrote:

My experience of living in several different countries is that it takes somewhere between 3 to 6 months to feel 'at home' in your new environment.

You are fast!
It is more like 6 - 12 months for me, and I know others (many others) who take years or never reach that point.

For me it takes 15 days to one month to forget the past place where i was living but yesterday i came back to Congo from Angola and i didn't even feel that 2 days before i was in another country..........

Find useful info to succeed in your expat project

OR