Healthcare/Insurance

We're Al and Terri, a married couple planning an early retirement and relocation to the Dominican replublic after having visited several times. We will not need to work, but do need some ongoing prescriptions and periodic doctor visits. Al is eligible for USA Medicaire now but that stops at the border of the US. I supose we could keep an address in the US too, but not sure if that's OK if we're out of the country most of the year.

How do retired expats handle this in the DR. Are there plans with local clinics/hospitals or insurance contracts.
Also how much are these options. We'll have about $5,000 monthly income.

We live in New England and want out of here badly, but need to get this one issue resolved. Thanks to anyone who's got any answers or can direct us!

Hi Al&Terri,
Maybe you can ask free advice and quotation to our partner, specialized in expatriate health insurance in Dominican Republic?
Hope this helps :)
Cheers
Arlette

Where in the DR are you planning to retire?  Knowing this will help answer many of your questions. We "retired" to the north coast (Sosua/Cabarete area).  Let me know either here or by PM

BobK

I will be curious to the answer to this as well.  We have moved here and have health insurance through my  husbands job but wondered if we should keep coverage in the states as well.

Welcome to Expat.com, floridaexpat! :)

Thank you!