Insects and Macrophotography

Indonesia boasts one of the largest selection of tropical insect in the world. We find them everywhere, in gardens, parks, jungles, mountains and in the cities. From a distance they can seem scary or disgusting, but through the lens of a camera their real beauty can be seen. The best equipment to take insect photography is just a DSLR camera and a macro lens. The most common lens is the 100mm f2.8 lens which exists with most common camera brands. Additional equipment such as lighting, closeup filters and specialized lenses are great but expensive. If you have tried your hand at insect photography why not upload your photos for all to see.

I took this one in Surabaya.

This tortoiseshell beetle was taken in Surabaya.

This dragonfly was snapped in Besaki, Bali.

This crab spider was photographed in Bandung.

Wow, amazing photos Mike. me myself love photography but just for hobby.. :)

monthirosselini wrote:

Wow, amazing photos Mike. me myself love photography but just for hobby.. :)

I have to say, they are rather good - in fact, I'd go as far as excellent.
All we need now is a few happy crickets.
More seriously, the work is top quality ... and not just the insects.

This kind of skill to take pictures of tiny-tiny 6 legged species envies me. Anyway, why the thread category is Cars & Transportations? I'd love to ride one, though.

More dragonflies, please! :D

Wow! very nice mike those shots are so beautiful. :)

John_Paulo wrote:

Wow! very nice mike those shots are so beautiful. :)

Thanks John. They're sort of ok photos but some of my friends are amazing macro photographers. One real expert is Shikhei Goh from Batam who was also winner of the overall National Geographic Photo Contest 2011.

Here are a few more, these were all taken in Surabaya.

A few more from Surabaya. From my experience Surabaya is a fantastic place to take macros of insects. It's also just across the water from Madura where some of the best human interest photos can be taken in Indonesia.

Another one taken in Surabaya

Also taken in Surabaya

These are just SUPERB. Amazing captures ....

Thanks but they are not so great compared to so many wonderful Indonesian macro photographers. It's not my speciality  but being in Asia we see so many bugs so it's easy to snap them. Just need a 100mm f2.8 macro lens  ;)

MikeWallace77 wrote:

Thanks but they are not so great compared to so many wonderful Indonesian macro photographers. It's not my speciality  but being in Asia we see so many bugs so it's easy to snap them. Just need a 100mm f2.8 macro lens  ;)

Hi Mike
I am sure  a beginner like me  can not achieve this superb class of detailing and sharpness as in your above shots  with a 100mm f2.8 macro lens too  :top:

I am inspired and going to buy this lens.

Few weeks back I too experimented my hands at Insect photography. I shot my first ever picture at  " Sentosa Butterfly Park and Insect Kingdom " Singapore with Canon 18-55mm kit lens. Wanted to post here but not confident about the  shot ... :lol:

MikeWallace77 wrote:

It's not my speciality  but being in Asia we see so many bugs so it's easy to snap them.

OMG !!  than which is your area of speciality ... post some pictures ..

Seriously it's not difficult to take shots like mine. You just need to make sure to try to focus on the eyes of the insect and to have a steady hand. If your camera has a built in flash then you could put a piece of masking tape over the flash as it is a good diffuser. Dragonflies are nice to take because you can get really close, even touch them and they might fly away and them immediately fly back. I would just go ahead and post the photos, once you get into it then the pictures will get better and better.