Public Bilingual Schools in Puerto Rico

I know that everyone is going to say , that there is no such thing, but I thought that I would ask anyway.

I am looking for a Bilingual High School in Puerto Rico.  Don't know where yet since we have not gotten there and gotten a place to live. This would be for my 18 year old grandson who has to complete high school.  He doesn't speak Spanish and would need classes in English.

If anyone has any ideas, please let me know.  I am not going to pay a large tuition and would prefer free or public, if possible.

Perpetuo Socorro in Miramar is a very good high school and they teach in English but it costs at least $10k or so per year (if not more). It was about $8k for my daughter when she was in second grade and I imagine the high school is more expensive.

If you want a bilingual high school, you'll need to pay a lot for it. That's just a fact.

You are right. No public schools are taught in English only. Even if you could find a public bilingual school. your son would have to take Spanish which only Spanish is spoken during class and he would have to take Puerto Rican history which by law has to be taught in Spanish only. When we were there we home schooled our daughter from the computer for third grade and it worked out perfectly. You could do the same with your son. All you have to do is find a reliable internet connection. It's not free but it didn't cost a fortune either.

I thank you for the info but it is my grandson and I am not home schooling him.  He is 18 yrs old and you know how stubborn teenagers can be so that is out.  He has been leaning some Spanish via this Spanish book that we had taken out of the library and it had a cd to go with it, so he had it downloaded to our laptop and he has been using that.

I may take your suggestion of using the internet to teach him Spanish and hopefully with that and my assistance, he can learn some stuff.  I figure that he has to know some Spanish if he is going to get a job even part time and maybe he will make some friends who will help him along.

Thanks again for the info.

Boy are you in for some fun. Time for the 18 year old to do some growing up and start acting like a man instead of a little boy. You don't need to home school him. He can do it himself. You are essentially going to a different country even though it's part of the states. As the man once told me there when I was in a heated argument with him "we do things differently here." You aren't going to have things your way. How long do you think it's going to take your stubborn 18 year old to learn to speak and read conversational Spanish if he has no self motivation? Besides, sending him to a public school in PR is doing him a disservice. Chances are he won't find a part time job either. Read some past posts on the state of the job market and especially the part where you have to know somebody to get a job if you can even find one. Best of luck to you and your grandson. It appears you have no clue what you are getting into. I'm sincerely not trying to be a wise guy, but if you don't know much about this stuff before you go you will surely have a difficult time.

Gregg, I do know about this stuff since I have raised 3 children who are all professionals.  I did not mean so sound dense, I was just asking for some insight since I now have to begin again.  I am trying to help the kids out and I will do my best to assist him in any way possible.

I mean no harm, or disrespect. But have you ever tried doing any of this stuff in Puerto Rico? The same rules and ways of doing things seldom apply there. You have to learn new ways of approaching just about everything. Some people make the adjustment very well and thrive there. Some people can't do it and don't make it. What I'm saying is that it just might come down to the fact that your grandson has no better choice than home schooling and he's going to have to learn to be responsible enough to get it done. It's only for one year and it's actually easier than physically going to school. I admire your desire to help the kids out but sometimes our best intentions can be misguided. Go through the past posts on this blog and learn some things. Some very wise people have contributed a wealth of information. Some good, some not so good. Educate yourself well and make informed choices. In my opinion the worst thing you can do is go down there first and then figure everything out once you get there.

Hope you are doing well.  First of all, the public school system in PR is in shambles due in no small part  to the current administration.  They actually are missing about 1000 English teachers; even when and IF they say they speak English they really don't!
If private school is not a financial option, stay in the metro area and try to find a school that at least says it teaches English....they do NOT teach IN English...... He will have to learn Spanish fast!  There are lots of ways to get around it like tutors or after class help BUT again, school just started and I think about 10,000 kids had no teachers.... good luck.

m

Thanks for your post. I know that the schools here are nothing like we even had in bad areas in NY, but we have to make the best of it. Luckily, he has made some kids who are helping him with his classes being bilingual themselves.

I know about some kids not having teachers as of Friday, they did not have a Math. Teacher. We will see what happens today. So they have a 2 hr. Lunch.

I pray that something clicks and begins to catch on
I try to help him since I am a New York Rican who was fortunate enough to have a mother who spoke Spanish to me and then I took  a special class in HS for Spanish speaking kids and learned to read & write it. It will be a challenge but I want for him to succeed. My goal is for him to get his HS diploma and maybe go ton the University. He is a smart kid but you know how they are stubborn

Oh, Yeah, the schools here make the ones even in Bed Sty back home look like genius factories!!!   
Try to get him some tutoring.... if he can get the diploma, he will probably do well in college here.  The books at college level are 90% in English but they lecture in Spanish and I believe he can write his papers in English if he wants. 
I hope he does well, we need our young men to get good educations to make a difference in our crumbling society!!

Good luck,
keep in touch...

m

Hi
Just wanted to ask...what is homeschooled...how can we do that...who will
Evaluate the kid...n how in future my kid will get admission in some other grade????