Cost of living in Virginia

Hello there,

Recently I was offered a job in Virginia Beach with a salary of 45000 USD p.a. and I wonder if that will be enough to live there? My salary here in Germany is higher however the company says that living expenses in Virginia canŽt be compared to German living expenses and the salary mentioned above is suitable because from this money nothing but US tax has to be paid.
The company will bear the costs for relocation and they will also take the monthly payments for health insurance however they do not provide a car or any other benefit.
I have second thoughts because of this offer. I like sports and outdoor activities very much such as a scuba diving and horseback riding and of course I tend to proceed with these sports in Virginia Beach, too..... I wonder if I could keep my standard of living over there?! 

Is there somebody who can give advice?

Hi too_busy,

I have created a new topic as from your post on the Virginia forum for better visibility.

Best of luck,
Christine

Living expenses in Northern Virginia is ridiculously high.  But Virginia Beach is not as bad. Depends on what you do but $45k is not much. In my company, we pay $50k for fresh graduates. As I said, it depends on what you do.
I know many people who makes about $45k and they are not very comfortable.  Probably you won't save much.
Good luck

45,000 is not enough to live the kind of life your talking about. Horse riding, nice cars, scuba diving. Life in Virginia is kind of expensive. You will get by pay bills after bill, but not enough for leisure. In my opinion...