Having things shipped and customs.

My personal goods were delivered this week, and it was a learning experience. We had packed 177 cubic feet of personal items, to include a tv, printer, music box, small kitchen appliances, and two full size bicycles. We shipped from Maryland, in the mid Atlantic region of the US. The quotes were all pretty close, and it basically came down to $100 USD for 10 cu. ft of stuff. This fee only includes shipment to the port in Bridgetown. The company I shipped with has an office in Barbados, and they assigned me an agent ahead of time, so this made the part of hiring an agent not necessary. I did have to pay for paperwork and the cost of an agent, as well as shipping to my address in Barbados. My shipment was randomly selected to be inspected ahead of time, and by the time it reached me a cost had already been accessed. It was a small duty, and I do not know the reason for the duty. I did not ship a car or furniture, but as far as personal goods being shipped the experience was pretty normal.

Hi Fletchh
    We are moving from Canada to Barbados in the next 6 months. Can you tell us the name of the company you used to ship your household goods down with, we are having a hard time finding a reliable company.Thank you in advance.

Jwa,

We used Leparkan. They have an office about a km past the pelican on Harbour Rd. They were as competitive as anyone else I checked out.  You will have the up front cost, meaning paying to have so many cubic feet shipped, and that will get your goods to the port. When the goods arrive, and you are here, you will go down to the Leparkan office and arrange to have them shipped to your new residence or pick them up yourself. For the document fee, agent fee and having my good shipped to my door, it was under $500 BDS for 177 sq ft. The customs duty was very reasonable, also. Everything depends on how much you ship, as that will affect the front end and back end costs too. Good luck, and post if you have anymore questions.