The world’s happiest country is Indonesia

I am so happy to visit a website that mentioned Indonesia as the happiest land in the world.

I don't know what many foreigners think about Indonesian, but i think it's kinda true that we are capable to live happily in many situations.

We Indonesian mostly can feel lucky in unlucky situation. For example, when i lost my wallet, i still can think : untungnya cuman dompet. yang penting saya-nya gak apa-apa" (translated: "its lucky just a wallet, what important is me my self is fine"). We can hear people say "Untungya...." upon their unlucky situation a lot of times. There is also another way to say when for example we lost money or lost mobile, etc, our parents normally tried to convince us that it's fine and they normally say : "tidak apa-apa, anggap aja buang sial :)".. (translated: That's fine, let's say it is to throw away the bad luck")

Well, do you agree with that?

Below is the link of web that mentioned Indonesia as the happiest country:
http://www.artsjournal.com/slippeddisc/ … ially.html

Yes.

Maybe happier than most. But I found Thailand and Malaysia as happy as Indonesia, it depends on your perspective. Most Expats are happy here or happy to be here. I know I am.

I'm very happy to live in Indonesia.
I love the place, the people and the food.
What more could I ask for?

I'm not a bit surprised with this “study” and the conclusion that Indonesian people are the happiest in the world.

For many years my wife and I have been very involved with a great Yayasan (NGO) in Singaraja called Peduli Sesama Philanthropic Work.  You can Google if curious.

As part of our association and work with this foundation we have been on site at some of the most impoverished areas of Bali.  Without a doubt, and without exception what always has struck me is the nobility and contentment (can I say happiness?) of the poorest of people that we have encountered.  As you describe, there is an inherent appreciation amongst Indonesian people for what they do have…in other words, a half full glass of water would always be called half full, and not half empty.

Normally I am not prone to state generalities, but in this case, yes, it has always seemed to me that Indonesians are the happiest folks on the planet. 

Enny, if the same thing you describe happened to my wife today, she would say the exact same thing as you.

I have to agree with the esteemed gentleman from Bali.
People here tend to look at things in a 'half full' sort of way.
My wanders take me to places where you'd expect the people to be bloody miserable but you just don't see it - they make the best of what they have.
Of course, that doesn't mean there isn't sadness in Indonesia, but people here have a very positive attitude.
It's one of the things that makes Indonesia such a wonderful country.

Malaysia and Thailand are similar in many respects, but Indonesia wins the smile league hands down.

Many thanks for the compliment Pak Fred, but if there is anyone who has been on this forum and truly deserving of the title, "esteemed gentleman" it is you, IMHO, (which admittedly, isn't always so humble).

Your thread, "Fred went a wandering" is the longest running and without question, the most authentic contribution to this forum, and I could not possibly agree more with your prior words.

These days we have to deal with highly suspect contributors who too often would lead others astray, so having you here as the anchor and foundation is more essential than ever before.  :top:

:dumbom:

Enny Frans wrote:

... Below is the link of web that mentioned Indonesia as the happiest country:
http://www.artsjournal.com/slippeddisc/ … ially.html

Hi Enny, :)

The article you mentioned is written by someone who makes a living writing on all sorts of topics.
His mind is influenced by earning a living, not by impartiality and stats coming from expert teams.

Just a few years ago Vanuatu was the place of the happiest people on Earth.
The happiest country is Denmark for the past years.

You may want to consider organisations which track various data in order to compile and rank most countries of the world, work which is used by many other researchers in many fields and for which these organizations are legally responsible.

http://www.happyplanetindex.org/http://www.earth.columbia.edu/articles/view/2960

That's a very good point John.

John, we don't care who wrote the article, nor are we looking for some sort of scientific proof that Indonesians are the happiest folks on the planet.

Those of us who live here, and are proud to call themselves Indonesian, know this to be true.

BTW John, as much as you post on the Indonesia board, it begs the question..."have you ever been to Indonesia?"   
:cool:

[Moderated: Off topic]

I am often asked by students why I am here and to be honest my answer normally starts with because 'I can'. However this generally leads onto more conversation and when I decided to stay longer than a year which was the length of my contract with my employer. By the end of day 3 at work I told my boss that I would like to stay longer than a year because the place (cengkareng) was great. Mainly because of the weather and the people. As I then travelled in and around Jakarta and further I found this to be true pretty much everywhere.
7 years later still happy and content and enjoying the same things I liked when I first came here.

My students seem in awe of that and ask why I dont want to go home. I tell them rain rude people and its expensive keep me away plus my family and life is now here.

Thank you every body for the honest reply.  :)

Hello Mr John C,
I don't mean to be subjective here that's why i asked what foreigner people think about that, and if they agree or not.

For me, it's a grateful to someone who makes a living writing on all sports of topics who seems like came and give free bigest promotion of Indonesia instead of other country to earn living. It's then become a big question "WHY". The writer mentioned Indonesia not based on his own thinking but by annual IPSOS survey, and it's also a good question for the IPSOS "WHY".   

Have you ever been in Indonesia Mr. John C? I don't know how many times my husband mention and hopes we will be able to go back and live just simple and happy in Indonesia. Besides, countles people I met that been to Indonesia were extremely happy with their experience and still hoping that they will go back there. I think it is a good simple proof that Indonesia is a very happy land.

Ignorance is bliss

Hello Mr. Dtwantany,

Thanks for the comment, would you like to explain us why?

Again, I have to agree with the gentleman from Bali.
It makes little difference who wrote the article and why they wrote it, Indonesians tend to look at things in a very positive light so, even if the piece is a load of old crap written for cash, it's still accurate.

Added to my above.
I tend to think visitors to any given country see that country through their own eyes.
So, if you're a bad tempered, miserable sod, you tend to see the whole world that way.
If, like me, you're a happy bunny, you see the good in people.

Totally agree with you Mas Fred ;)

Hello Mr Ubudian,

I googled about Yayasan (NGO) Peduli Sesama Philanthropic Work. I wish i could join a social organisation like that when i was in Bali. I hope that those kind of organisation will also spread to other part of Indonesia.
Here, I just joint an expat organisation that also does social work, and i am so happy about it and can't wait to do some small things that at least can make some people smile.
When i was in Jakarta, sometimes in the end of the months after received the salary, i went to a supermarket and bought some little food and drinks and gave it to some kids on the street (beggars, scavengers, etc). It is one of the best things i did that could give happiness to my self.
It is sad that, in Bali, some beggars just expecting money instead of food. I meet some people that ignored food and asked for money instead. :(

Good luck with your fine efforts in Belgium Enny!  :top:

Enny Frans wrote:

Thank you every body for the honest reply.  :)

Hello Mr John C,
I don't mean to be subjective here that's why i asked what foreigner people think about that, and if they agree or not.

For me, it's a grateful to someone who makes a living writing on all sports of topics who seems like came and give free bigest promotion of Indonesia instead of other country to earn living. It's then become a big question "WHY". The writer mentioned Indonesia not based on his own thinking but by annual IPSOS survey, and it's also a good question for the IPSOS "WHY".   

Have you ever been in Indonesia Mr. John C? I don't know how many times my husband mention and hopes we will be able to go back and live just simple and happy in Indonesia. Besides, countles people I met that been to Indonesia were extremely happy with their experience and still hoping that they will go back there. I think it is a good simple proof that Indonesia is a very happy land.

Glad to hear Indonesians are happy.

To me it was the first time I heard about Indonesia as the world's happiest country.
I just wondered.
It worries me to see happy people without economic opportunities, average-to-high standard of living, good buying power, low and stable inflation, high employment.   Are these issues dealt with properly over there?

If all of you are happy there, then I am glad for you.  I have one thing less to worry about ...  :par:

Here is something which might sum up a lot peoples view on how they live here. A short story about different view points.

The Mexican Fisherman and the Investment Banker (Author Unknown)

An American investment banker was at the pier of a small coastal Mexican village when a small boat with just one fisherman docked. Inside the small boat were several large yellowfin tuna. The American complimented the Mexican on the quality of his fish and asked how long it took to catch them.

The Mexican replied, “only a little while.”

The American then asked why didn't he stay out longer and catch more fish?

The Mexican said he had enough to support his family's immediate needs.

The American then asked, “but what do you do with the rest of your time?”

The Mexican fisherman said, “I sleep late, fish a little, play with my children, take siestas with my wife, Maria, and stroll into the village each evening where I sip wine, and play guitar with my amigos. I have a full and busy life.”

The American scoffed. “I have an MBA from Harvard, and can help you,” he said. “You should spend more time fishing, and with the proceeds, buy a bigger boat. With the proceeds from the bigger boat, you could buy several boats, and eventually you would have a fleet of fishing boats. Instead of selling your catch to a middle-man, you could sell directly to the processor, eventually opening up your own cannery. You could control the product, processing, and distribution,” he said. “Of course, you would need to leave this small coastal fishing village and move to Mexico City, then Los Angeles, and eventually to New York City, where you will run your expanding enterprise.”

The Mexican fisherman asked, “But, how long will this all take?”

To which the American replied, “Oh, 15 to 20 years or so.”

“But what then?” asked the Mexican.

The American laughed and said, “That's the best part. When the time was right, you would announce an IPO, and sell your company stock to the public and become very rich. You would make millions!”

“Millions – then what?”

The American said, “Then you could retire. Move to a small coastal fishing village where you could sleep late, fish a little, play with your kids, take siestas with your wife, and stroll to the village in the evenings where you could sip wine and play guitar with your amigos.”

"I have one thing less to worry about ... "

Well then John, that's an excellent conclusion, as none of us want to have to worry about you worrying about us.   :) 

BTW, you never did answer the very same question that Enny and I both asked you, "Have you ever been to Indonesia?"

I don't think anyone can say whether one country or another has the happiest people, and afterall most of us have not lived in that many countries so basically we can compare to where we come from but we cannot really make the comparison to all the other countries in the world. Suffice to say, that a lot of Indonesians are satisfied with a simple lifestyle, especially those living in the countryside, and that in general, Indonesians will smile very easily and especially with foreigners as they usually show them a lot of respect.

When compared with places like Singapore or Malaysia, the locals are very much more westernized and do not hold the same respect for foreigners. Also, they are a lot more money oriented.

"I don't think anyone can say whether one country or another has the happiest people..."

But you already agreed with your simple reply "yes" to Enny's original question..."do you agree with that?"

And what is it that's so simple about your average Indonesian's "lifestyle?"   :/

:dumbom:

:dumbom:    To you too!

Nice story, Mr. Luke :) good way to describe two different point of view..

Mr. John C Wrote:
It worries me to see happy people without economic opportunities, average-to-high standard of living, good buying power, low and stable inflation, high employment.   Are these issues dealt with properly over there?

Well, Mr John, In Indonesia, we have a lot of problem, but we are capable to be happy even with very simple life. I don't really know if you ever been to Indonesia. If you never been there, i suggest you to try :) at least once in your life.

Just a reminder, money can't buy happiness.

Thats true but as the old / new saying goes Annie, You never see someone on a Jet Sky looking unhappy!!!

Happy days

Hi Sophie,
Sorry to disagree, I think in some case, yess.. Money can buy happiness. For example, if we want to go for holiday in Bali, it needs money :). People who win lottery always happy to get a lot of money ;)

But for some people who don't have a lot of money, they are also able to be happy in their way.

lukereg wrote:

Here is something which might sum up a lot peoples view on how they live here. A short story about different view points.

The Mexican Fisherman and the Investment Banker (Author Unknown)

OMG - I loved that post.

True!  Indonesians are happy people ... have a positive attitude towards life. No complaints ... no cribbing ... 
I have learnt a lot from Indonesia ... to be more sabar ( patient). Love lively people here.

Good comment Nagina, I do agree with you.

Everyone seemed pretty happy when I was there - and it was the rainy season.

lukereg wrote:

The American scoffed. “I have an MBA from Harvard, and can help you,” he said. “You should spend more time fishing, and with the proceeds, buy a bigger boat. With the proceeds from the bigger boat, you could buy several boats, and eventually you would have a fleet of fishing boats. Instead of selling your catch to a middle-man, you could sell directly to the processor, eventually opening up your own cannery. You could control the product, processing, and distribution,” he said. “Of course, you would need to leave this small coastal fishing village and move to Mexico City, then Los Angeles, and eventually to New York City, where you will run your expanding enterprise.”

This sums up corporate America perfectly.

HaileyinHongKong wrote:

Everyone seemed pretty happy when I was there - and it was the rainy season.

lukereg wrote:

The American scoffed. “I have an MBA from Harvard, and can help you,” he said. “You should spend more time fishing, and with the proceeds, buy a bigger boat.

This sums up corporate America perfectly.

The fisherman sums up Indonesian attitudes.
They tend to live for the moment, ignoring the future - in the case of traffic lights, ignoring the probability of accident if they go through red.
The attitude finds its way into every aspect of life.
No preparation, just do it and work it out later.
I was never a boy scout but that lack of planning still alien to me.
Before a flight, I make a check list, gather all the items, tick them off as I pack, and I'm ready two days before the flight.
All I have to do is pick up the bag and lock the door. Easy.
My wife ends up having to buy a new toothbrush every time we go away.
Thing is, she doesn't care.
A lovely attitude that keeps heart surgeons out of business.
Stress is something as alien to most Indonesians as charity was to Scrooge.

mas fred wrote:

The fisherman sums up Indonesian attitudes.
They tend to live for the moment, ignoring the future - in the case of traffic lights, ignoring the probability of accident if they go through red.

That's really true. You can ask Indonesian people about their plan for the next 5 years. I think 1 or 2 from 100 Indonesians maybe have answer for that while the rest will just will say that they enjoying flowing with their life without any plan for the future.

How true.
People forget that the point is not money but freedom. They think freedom comes from having money but it doesn't. Freedom comes from having the courage to be free

Enny Frans wrote:

Hi Sophie,
Sorry to disagree, I think in some case, yess.. Money can buy happiness. For example, if we want to go for holiday in Bali, it needs money :). People who win lottery always happy to get a lot of money ;)

But for some people who don't have a lot of money, they are also able to be happy in their way.

Anything in this world need money, but money is not everything. Human who made the money, if wanna live in happily, human must be control the money, not controlled by money. In my mind the happiest country in the world is Sudan. Where money not exist, and share their simple life with each other.