Tea or Coffee?

tea with milk is my addiction

strong coffee  :P

I still like tea ...  :gloria

Here in Luanda i am taking only Sri Lankan Tea.....

dahlia_4807 wrote:

tea with milk is my addiction

Even i have the same addiction ....tea with milk

COFFEEEEE..!

You want to say Coffee or KOFI ANAN

aryavrat wrote:

You want to say Coffee or KOFI ANAN

Funny, no one put him in the "Person I Admire Most" contest. (or if someone did I didn't notice)
Nice name Coffee from the Gold Coast.  :)

You are right his period was good compare to today's GS....its my view may be i am wrong....

aryavrat wrote:

Here in Luanda i am taking only Sri Lankan Tea.....

You, Sir, know the taste of good tea  :top:

aryavrat wrote:

You are right his period was good compare to today's GS....its my view may be i am wrong....

:offtopic::P

You, Sir, know the taste of good tea 

Hey Farhaz don't call me Sir...........it seems we are not brother........ :)

Farhaz wrote:
aryavrat wrote:

:offtopic::P

+1 to Farhaz also............ :D

I'm more of a tea lover. When I drink coffee, I feel like I'm cheating on tea.  :joking:

We have a small home coffee & milktea shop seeing we have a compact 2 group head commercial machine it's coffee for sure.

Wow - you resurrected a thread that was dormant since 2014 (but still relevant, since we all need a shot in the morning).
Anyone knows what happened to Aryavrat - the last poster then and a regular on this forum?

Coffee

08/11/21

Tea for pleasure, coffee for the drug.  :cool:

Tea, especially bottled guayusa, except for coffee ice cream. :)

cccmedia

So... is this the most popular expat topic? :-)

I like green tea (with a flavor, such as cherry blossom, vanilla or my current favorite mango & lychee). In a very large mug. With neither milk nor sugar. I drink 2 of these (sometimes 3) per day.

I also like coffee. My new toy is a bean-to-cup machine which I find produces delicious coffee. I make an espresso and don't put milk or sugar, but I add some virgin coconut oil shavings (= a variation of the "bulletproof" coffee), and plenty of hot water (= an "Americano", I guess). I drink 2 of these (occasionally 3) per day. I used to like going out to a local cafe for a morning coffee, but my new machine and being able to make it exactly how I want it, has made me too picky to enjoy the experience. :-)

Separately, I drink a couple of liters of water (the above are 99% water). but, currently, no 4th drink has made it on to the allowed list. :-)

I occasionally drink tea in the early morning (I think that's a habit I picked up in the Army); I used to drink it strong, sweet with condensed milk.

Nowadays, coffee would be my drink of choice.  A colleague once asked me why I use sugar, I couldn't say why, I just did it because I thought it tasted nicer; she then told me that if I could not take any sugar for a week, I would notice a difference in the taste of all food and drinks and I would never need sugar again.  I'm called Cynic for a reason, but I tried it and she was spot on.  We haven't had sugar in the house now for many years, but my blood sugar levels are through the roof, so we are down to reading labels on the foods we buy; I'm told I should cut down on the amount of fruit I eat, which I suspect was a result of me stopping with sugar.

Cynic wrote:

We haven't had sugar in the house now for many years, but my blood sugar levels are through the roof, so we are down to reading labels on the foods we buy....

To cut down on sugar at restaurants during my frequent travels, I have taken to bringing a couple of packets of stevia in my shirt pocket .. then ordering any beverage, including juice, without sugar.

At home I use a pinch or two from a small bowl of stevia for any sweetening.

Both forms of stevia -- packets or mini-bowl -- are readily available in supermarkets in the cities to which I travel.

Like Cynic, I am now accustomed to reading supermarket labeling to make sure any packaged foods are low enough in sugar, or as they call it in the cities here, azúcar (ah-SOO-car).

cccmedia in South America

@Cynic

Well, you may be diabetic or pre-diabetic and not realize. Usually, tests and/or diet modification are recommended.

I eat a lot of fruit too, but I don't think whole fruit (as it has the fiber) is a big culprit in blood sugar issues. If it's blended/juiced, then that's a different story.

Often, those reducing sugar in tea/coffee are motivated by health reasons, and will also start eating reduced-fat or no-fat foods. Unfortunately, many of these foods have much higher sugar content.

Typical western diets tend to have quite low fiber, and this is associated with higher blood sugar and cholesterol levels. This is where plenty of fresh fruit/vegetables and oatmeal/beans will help a lot.

gwynj wrote:

@Cynic

Well, you may be diabetic or pre-diabetic and not realize. Usually, tests and/or diet modification are recommended.

I eat a lot of fruit too, but I don't think whole fruit (as it has the fiber) is a big culprit in blood sugar issues. If it's blended/juiced, then that's a different story.

Often, those reducing sugar in tea/coffee are motivated by health reasons, and will also start eating reduced-fat or no-fat foods. Unfortunately, many of these foods have much higher sugar content.

Typical western diets tend to have quite low fiber, and this is associated with higher blood sugar and cholesterol levels. This is where plenty of fresh fruit/vegetables and oatmeal/beans will help a lot.

I am pre-diabetic; just before Covid I was taking part in an NHS sponsored course aimed at losing some weight.  Covid messed that up - the course had to fold; it doesn't help that I suffer from COPD and sleep apnea which translates into I get tired very easily.  The good news is that the weight I lost while on the course hasn't come back; it also helps that both my wife and daughter are nurses and watch me like a hawk and I have a new dog in my life which is keeping me moving.

It doesn't help that all the things they tell me I should be eating taste disgusting.  :sosad:

Tea!  I take tea interest a bit unreasonably far; beyond drinking a lot of it, and owning a lot, I write a blog about tea, co-founded one of the main Facebook tea groups, and write in a Quora Space about tea that I started.

It's hard to narrow down what is so appealing about it.  Beyond just being a source of caffeine tea experience is bottomless; it's impossible to every really explore the entire range.  Just trying all the Chinese tea types is all but impossible, and from there new styles and new source areas keep coming up.  I've been trying a good bit of Georgian tea this year (the country), and the first tea I've tried from the US (from Mississippi), and good Darjeeling and other Indian teas.  Most recently I wrote review notes for a Wuyishan, Fujian black tea, from a producer best known for oolongs, Da Hong Pao and Rou Gui and such.  Tea that transitions with age is interesting; sheng pu'er, shu pu'er, hei cha, and some white teas all change over time, which can be very pleasant and interesting.

Hybrid or transplanted styles add to what is available.  I live in Thailand and I've bought Thai sheng pu'er (not really pu'er since that's a Yunnan area designation, but the same thing), and Thai Oriental Beauty oolong (which is normally from Taiwan but not protected as a regional type category in the same way).  The oddest version I tried this year was Indian sheng, or maybe Russian gaba processed versions ("oxidized," but in a nitrogen environment instead).  I've even held a series of meetups with tea producers or other industry professionals this year, just social gatherings, which I write text summaries about but don't record and publish.

It might sound like it's all way too much work, but decent tea is really cheap and relatively flexible in terms of preparation approach.  $10 buys a broad range of 50 grams worth of good tea, or even $8 in many cases, and that would easily brew 25 cups of good tea, better than most people know exists.  In practice you could put some leaves in a mug of hot water and strain it into a second cup, probably buying nothing you don't already have, or a French press works well, or basket infuser devices are cheap and work well.  Tea makes you feel better than coffee, since theanine offsets the jarring jolt from that, calming you by way of a different physiological mechanism.  It can be nice the way that drinking a small pot of coffee really hits you, and you do give up that, but the energy boost is more balanced.  A couple of those references:

http://teaintheancientworld.blogspot.com/https://specialtytea.quora.com/

11/09/21

Thanks for the tip. 

Being both a tea afficionado and a Quoran, now following your Space.  :top:

👍👍id prefer tea 🍵 more than coffee

I'm team tea all the way. Just never could enjoy the taste of coffee and I don't like the idea of adding tons of sugar until it's palatable.

Dear Mr. Tea Blog,

Hot beverages:

Té:  sí

Café:  no

Ice cream:

Café:  sí

Iced beverages:

Té:  sí

Capuccino:  sí

-- cccmedia en Quito, Ecuador

green tea, sometime cofe would be better

noway I'm Italian ! Coffee forever !

🙂 tea for mornings , coffee is great too but both in moderation. 👍

Coffee. Black.

I drink either, black, green or white, with or without sugar.

I like black tea with little bit of cardamom inside.

Meet other expats and join the events

OR