New members of the Libya forum, introduce yourself here

Hi all,

Newbie on the Libya forum? Don't know how to start?

This thread is for you ;)

We invite you to introduce yourself on this topic, to share with us your expat story if you are already living in the country, or to tell us more on your expat projects in Libya if you are planning to move there.

It will enable us to help you better but above all to wish you a warm welcome.

Welcome on board!

Hello to all new and old members,

i hope we can spice up this forum a bit things have been quiet lately...

Hi Jameela30,

how long have you been in Libya now ? Could you please tell us a little bit more about yourself, in this specific thread ?

thanks

Hi Julien

I've been in Libya for almost a year now, i'm an ESL teacher, a mum of 2 and a would-love-to-be-a-great travel blogger. I try to be as active as i can on this website as i know how hard it is to get up to date info on Libya. I've been contacted a few times now through the forum and i think i managed to answer quite a few questions.

I encourage others to help whenever they can, it's a great way to bring people together. I've submitted a few articles on the Libya guide, which still needs loads of contribution to be complete by the way guys  ;) and has answered the interview questions (although this hasn't been published). These are very easy to do and don't take much time so it's a simple way to help others.

Hope that helps

Hello, I'm new here, I'm a Nigerian, a language tutor, I speak English, French and little of Portuguese. I really want to come to Libya to work and study Arabic language.

Hi there,
My name is Zafer. I am from Turkey. I live in Ankara. I am thinking of working in Libya. I am a geophysicist, seismic interpreter. Please let me know what to do for finding a job there. And is it safe currently for expats being there?

Hi Xapher

i hope you find your way to Libya, let me give you a tip to find a job here: work the phone, internet won't get you very far, you must find out direct access to people who could employ you and get in touch with them.... i know it's hard but that's the best way to get a job here. If you have any contact in Libya it's time you ask for their help.

As for security, it's always the same, difficult to say and ever changing. Things are pretty quiet at the moment but you never know. We've had some serious incidents recently in Zawia but now things are OK. Libya is unstable, that's a fact but it's hard to assess the situation or make predictions about the future.

Hi Jameela,
Thanks for the answer. I think what you say works everywhere. I will try to catch the key people and introduce myself to them. But thats almost impossible for me :(

Don't give up before you try Xapher, Libya has a lot to offer but without the internet, it's hard to "get in".

As for security, things here are not quite like everywhere else, it's hard to explain: things are never really good, only they can become really bad quickly. There are many people here with many conflicting political opinions, people who have benefited from the revolution and others who have lost a lot, family clans still rule and they they fight it ends up with many dead people (happened here only 2 weeks ago)...

You live in peace and quiet most of the time but with the knowledge that when it goes bad, it's all hell break loose... sad but true.

Hello,
I go by Dua on here. I am American and I wish to visit Libya and possibly live there.
I have alot of questions and would really welcome locals or expats that could communicate with me regularly to answer all my questions. I prefer someone that is very honest whether the answers are good or bad, and someone that gives alot of details.
I look forward to hearing from everyone.... or anyone :)

Jameela, thanks again. I want this happen so I won't give up. Only I need is finding correct gate to open.

Hi,
I'm Astrid, I wil come to Libya in April or May. I'm a nurse.
I'm worried about the security in Tripoli, italian foreing office says it's not safe to go to Libya.
Which is your opinion?
Thanks

HI Astrid, read the post above, situation is ever changing, from OK to very bad depending on time and place

Hi, my name is Rozita but my Libyan family calls me Roza. I'm married to a Libyan. I'm from Malaysia and currently live in Kuala Lumpur. I'll be moving to Libya most probably after Eid. Insyaallah. I've been reading a lot and heard stories about Libya. It's alarming yet exciting. Thank you to Jameela and her blog. It provides me a lot of current updates. I'm concerned about school/what to do over there. I have 9 yr old son. I hope to find some new friends here as I heard life is pretty much boring in Libya. 

Hi Jameela,
the main problem is that the italian foreign office strongly do not recommend to go to Libya. It's quite difficult to take a decision. I would stay in Tripoli area. I dont' know what to do.

Halloo,
Goodday to all I am a filipino working here in libya I been here for 3 years,I been off libya 6 months when war is in progress and come back nov.2011 .As of now evrything slowdown we are in crane rental and I am a technician for crane .I would say libya as of today is unpredictable the biggest problem is security unstable but not worse,if somebody wants to work here I would advise be alert and do mind what is going on around.

to Astrid

the decision is hard to make, i know i was in your place a year ago, the UK also advised against going to Libya but we came anyway and we don't regret it. Tripoli is OK honestly especially in some areas with loads of expats things are pretty quiet, the whole security problems are among Libyans so you won't be worse because you're an expat. Maybe your option should be to live with other expats in those compounds outside of tripoli

To Roza,
thank you for your kind words about my blog, you made my day. I started this blog to help people so it's noce to hear it's working. Thx for that. As for making friends that shouldn't be hard in Tripoli especially with expats, the Internations Forum organise regular expats events in Tripoli where you can meet loads of people and further organise outings and activities. For your son, no worries independen Libyan schools and international schools offer good standards of education he will be fine inshallah.

To Jameela
Thank you.
I will arrive on th 1st of may!

Hi All,
it is Adnan. i have been here in Tripoli almost 5 years. (except the revolution period that i was in Italy and Turkey :) ) ...
i hope i can give some idea and help whomever needs .. it is really hard to call sometimes... we are here to give some idea/experience/heads up about Libya..
peace for now.

Hi Astrid,
don`t get me rude, but i am going to tell what i am saying all the time..
if you are carefully good enough the situation is same as any other countries all over the world...
don't be late, don't go anywhere you don't know someone in there, don't be naive till yu would have an idea about the condition.. :) 
i mean it is all about how you are considering Astrid..
Thanks to God i have never been in bad situation here in Libya since 2009...
i hope it was enough for you..
ciao

Hi Jameela,
thanks to you that you are writing a blog. it is really eye-opening..
i hope we would have a chance to give people some clear idea about Libya other than dirty media...
be peace..

For all who is thinking to come Libya for work, I can recommend Misurata and Tobruq as I know both are the safest locations for now. Tripoli is too big and have people from various cities and factions. That's why you can never know what will happen. Having said that , I also believe earlier words that if you are careful you can live everywhere.

salam every one,,

m asif from,,,pakistan
i got job in binghazi in oil company,,kindly tell me what is the current situation of binghazi,,

hi all,
my name is mansoor i am IT expert and i am from pakistan i got an job offer from saint james hospital tripoli libya. Actually i dont know any thing abt libya. i want to know abt living conditions,expenditures, job enviroment etc.plz help and guide me regarding this

Hello,

I am an International Development graduate student, and am currently working on a detailed implementation plan for an agricultural project in Libya. It is only a mock DIP, but needs to be as realistic as possible. I was hoping that this forum would help me find some answers to my questions. If anyone is willing to help, it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Hi there!
Nothing changes in my life. No news from Libya.  Still waiting.

Xapher this is life in Libya, nothing changes, and we wait.... i'm afraid you'll get more of this once you move here.

My name is Mohamed  30 years old , I am Libyan and I am doing phd in management  any one in management we can share the knowledge or I am happy to help .

Regards
Mohamed

I can imagine that Jameela. I hope you are allright there. Thanks for the voice at least from you.

Xapher, i'm currently working on a post for my blog, about getting a medical certificate, it's been 3 days now and we are still in step 1... we've been to 3 different locations, have wasted precious work time and waited for hours and up until now, we have nothing, just money off our pocket to pay for the damn thing lol

and again this is Libya. In this country you must be very patient or you'll burn your nerves...

Why you didn't get it ?

@Jameela,
What is a medical certificate?
Is this the clearance you need for work or just to see a doctor in general?

Hey guys ! hope ya all doin Well! I'm Libyan and i'll back there in may maybe ,, So anyone needs any help in anything !! just don't hesitate to contact me i'll do my best to help ya all ,,regards,, "Mohammed"
[email protected]

Thank you so much for your kind offer to help.
I have a lot of questions.
I would love to talk privately if you are free.
Right now my most pressing question is about visas esp. for tourism.
Is there anyone that speaks English at an office that can answer my questions. The embassy here is still insisting only business visas are allowed.

To DuaDua

How are you, it's been a while, sorry i just saw your questions about medical certificates, you only need one if you plan to work and live in Libya as far as i know. There may be similar requirements for tourists visa but i don't think so.

hi im Boateng from Ghana.i want to come to Libya.i studied agriculture in senior high school.with this i can work on any farm.please help.

:) Hi guys, I am Erik Lo from Philippines this is my first time to join to this blog, I am 36 years old married and have 4 children. I came to Libya to find a better job, now I working in fast food restaurant here in Tripoli. I want to join in hotel if there is vacancy because i want to expore my talent as a Asst. Cook or any position if possible.
     Thank you and have a nice day.

hi Erik..i advice to visit radisson blue hotel or corinthia hotel  both of these hotels have an asian resturant so you can talk with magament of the hotel and then the will tell you what to do..wish you a wonderful days.

I am Imran from Pakistan. I came  Libya one month ago. Currently I am living in Misurata and  working in a Dairy company as a SAP consultant. Up till now my experience is good and I hope IN SHAA ALLAH it will remain good for all of us. Feel free to contact me if any thing i can do.

This is my e-mail ID...............  [email protected]

salam brother.....

brother i got job offfer at binbhazi in oil company,,,,,wht are law nd order situation of binghazi....?

Closed