Hello!Greek/Scottish lady moving to Cologne on the 31st!

Hello everybody..I'm Tina and will be moving to Cologne with my fiancée on the 31st of March.He is German and will be starting work at Cologne uni on the 1st of April, whilst I will be at home unpacking and settling! I am hoping to find work, part time or full time either as a nanny, or to teach English.I am also looking for somewhere to learn German.I barely know any apart from a couple of basics..so any recommendations would be very helpful.
I am a little nervous, about this transition but also very excited!
Looking to eventually make some friends in Cologne or nearby, so I can feel a little more connected.
Thanks

Hi Tina, :)
Did you search on the Net for online German classes?

Hi there,
Yes I did but thought maybe someone on here might have used a service personally, that they could recommend.Thanks! :)

Hello Tina :)

Maybe it will be useful if you can post your demand in the Language classes in Cologne section. You can also opt for Language Exchange as well, for example you may help the other person in english language and he/she will help you in your german, if you think that it is a good idea so i invite you to post in Language Exchange in Cologne section. ;)

Thank you,

Priscilla  :cheers:

Tinalari wrote:

Hi there,
Yes I did but thought maybe someone on here might have used a service personally, that they could recommend.Thanks! :)

Sure, this is what this forum is about.  :top:
German language is a more difficult form of English.

It also has something specific: the verbs are the last word in any sentence.
At international conferences, when the speaker tells a joke, the Germans are the last ones in the audience to laugh because they must wait for the entire sentence to be said for them to grasp what the meaning is all about ...  :D

Tinalari wrote:

....  I am hoping to find work, part time or full time either as a nanny, or to teach English.I am also looking for somewhere to learn German. ....

Oh my, you a nanny?  :o
I wish I were the baby ...  :shy

Thank you all for your kind replies! :)

Tinalari wrote:

Thank you all for your kind replies! :)

Now say it in German! ...  :)

Hi Tina! Try at Volkshochschule Köln (dienste1.stadt-koeln.de/vhs/index.php?page=Suche)
or Benedict (benedict-koeln.de/assn/index.html)

At Benedict you can benefit of a cost reduction (you will only pay 120 EUR but are intensive courses).
I am following German classes at Volkshochschule because I can reach after my work and the course is not intensive.

Have a nice evening,
Valentin

Hi Tina,
I have moved to Cologne last year, and although I could already speak some German, i have been to the Volkshochschule, where you can attend courses of different levels and have classes 4 mornings a week for 3 months.
There is a cost involved but it is much cheaper than attending classes in private schools.
Of course I have been also a month in a private school, and it was great but really expensive.
Good luck anyway and I am sure you will like Cologne :-)

Thank you very much for your advice. I have only been here 3 days now, but hoping to start lessons next month. Had so many expenses moving here, need a little time to pay for lessons.

So far I love Cologne and looking forward to making some friends. Our 50 boxes arrive tomorrow and hoping that nothing has broken. Have lots of sorting out to do  :o
Thank you again for kind advice. :top:

Hi Tina,

I am Scottish and living in Celle but work in Hannover. I would take my CV round the language schools in Cologne. I haven't visited that city yet but I hear it is the best city in the North people and partywise so have fun!

Dani

Thanks for the tips Dani, I really appreciate it.Same to you Stefania and Valentin. :)