Newbie in Jamaica

Hi
I am a newbie and here is my story!
Mom of 2 and a husband that is planing to come down this sumer and work in Ja.  I am freaking out!.. It is all happening very soon and I need help!.. I need advise as far as schooling, costs, food.  I live in US but I am from ex Yugoslavia.. dont get me wrong but when I say food I dont mean Lays chips or coca-cola.. I want the fresh grown farmers food..as I hear that is also a cheaper way to go.. Everyone scares me about $500 electrical bills.. So any help you can provide is greatly appreciated!
Thanks
Aida

Hello Aida,

Welcome to Expat.com :)

In order to optimize your chances of getting responses from members living in Jamaica, a new discussion was created as from your post on the Jamaica forum.

To better guide you, we will need some information please.

How old are your children? In which sector are you going to work? Have you already got a job offer?

Thank you and best of luck,

Hasnaa

Hello there,
My son is 5 and my daughter is 2 going on 12.. LOL.. I do have a job and I will be working in freeport, telecommuncation.  Currently working on small detailes about my job offer and would expact to probably be there around June.  I understand that I will have to come alone first as that is what I was explained how the visa works.. during that time I would be looking for housing for us and my sons school etc.  I know some as I have been to JA 7 times so far in the last 7 years.. but I dont know much about the living there details..
Thank you for your help!
Aida

Hi Aida

Anyone who told you about US$500 light bills is exaggerating. Housing is expensive in Kingston but the good thing is that you will never be bored as there is always something going on - cultural events, expos, 5ks, etc. you can probably search the Gleaner newspaper online to see if there is housing advertised that might suit you.

Best of luck!
Karen

Hi Karen,

Thank you for your response. I would be going to MoBay but I am assuming the housing prices may be similar as in Kingston.. I am glad to hear about the electricity though!.. Thank you and any other information would great.. I am trying to find out what document s we will need for the work visa as my kids and my husband would be coming along. I even called the embassy here in US and they have to call me back as they did not have a complete answer for me.

Thanks again!
Aida

Hi Aida,

You can find most of the information you need on the pica website...it has forms etc that you can fill in , in order to work in Jamaica.  You will need a work permit, and you can apply to extend your stay in Jamaica as well.
www.pica.gov.jm   is the website...check it out!

Hope this helps.  Electricity isn't as bad as people say....the same as my Canadian home, anyways.   There are prep schools that are mutlicultural...you should be able to find them on line.  The prices vary...you have to check. Some are $400 us per semester.

Good luck!

Thank you sungoodess. I am leaving for JA June 9th.. My company will be helping me with the visa process and documentation sounds like so that will make it easier on me.  I will be spending first couple of week s looking for a place to live and school so that I can come back to US and get my fam.

Thank you all so much.
Let our journey to JA begin!!!!
Aida

HI Karen!  Where are you finding events in Kingston?