UK Citizen travelling to Nairobi for one week, I have questions!

Hi!

Towards the end of March I am planning to travel to Nairobi from Jeddah, Saudi Arabia (where I currently work). I am looking for any information about Nairobi (or Kenya in general) that can help my trip go as smoothly as possible. In particular, the visa process. Also, how safe is Nairobi for tourists these days?

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks! :)

Nairobi is relatively safe,just like any other city.Visa you can get at the airport upon arrival.

Hi
seems you have traveled in quite a number of countries, Nairobi is safe and you shouldn't feel afraid since there are so many forign people here. the only info you need i'd guess would be paying for what you could be wanting in the market here,you could be charged very dearly simply because you have no idea about how much it could roughly cost.
Visa aint tricky when we stipulate your purposes to visit etc

Kalaah wrote:

Nairobi is relatively safe,just like any other city.Visa you can get at the airport upon arrival.

Reubz wrote:

Hi
seems you have traveled in quite a number of countries, Nairobi is safe and you shouldn't feel afraid since there are so many forign people here. the only info you need i'd guess would be paying for what you could be wanting in the market here,you could be charged very dearly simply because you have no idea about how much it could roughly cost.
Visa aint tricky when we stipulate your purposes to visit etc

Thanks for the replies, I appreciate it!

Hi Jonex,
Nairobi is not that safe, especially at night or in isolated areas.
My advice: don't carry valuables with you (money, credit cards, passport, expensive watch, etc.) leave them at your hotel in a safe,
The vast majority of people in Nairobi is friendly BUT...

FYI

http://www.ambafrance-ke.org/-Securite-

Security recommendations from the French Embassy in Nairobi (in French, sorry!)

hello,
Nairobi is a safe place to be.
The visa fees is 50 dollars paid on arrival or before and you can contact me for airport transfer and accommodation on two star safaris.
Karibu kenya.

anna

Depends on how you define "safe"...

The British and French governments issued strong safety warnings re. Kenya

Just have a look @ https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advic … d-security

Safety and security
Crime

Mugging, kidnapping, car-jacking and armed robbery occur particularly in Nairobi, Mombasa and other large cities. Foreigners are not generally targeted, but incidents resulting in the death of 4 British nationals have occurred in the period August-September 2013. You should be vigilant at all times and follow any security advice given by your employer or your hosts.

Be aware of the risk of street crime. Avoid carrying large amounts of cash and don't wear expensive watches, jewellery or items of sentimental value. Leave your passport in the hotel safe and carry a photocopy for ID. Don't accept food or drink from strangers as it may be drugged. Avoid walking around after dark, especially in isolated areas like empty beaches. If you're attacked, don't resist.

Bag snatching and passport theft are common in transport hubs like bus stations, railway stations and airports. Be particularly vigilant in these areas.

Beware of thieves posing as police officers or private Security Guards. Always ask to see identification.

Only stay in tourist camps with good perimeter security. If in any doubt, seek advice from your tour operator or the Kenya Tourism Federation (telephone: + 254 20 800100).

If you're involved in any security incident, insist that the British High Commission is informed straight away.

Local travel

The Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) advise against all but essential travel to within 60km of the Kenya-Somali border; to Kiwayu and coastal areas north of Pate Island; to Garissa District; to the Eastleigh area of Nairobi; and to low income areas of Nairobi, including all township or slum areas due to high crime levels. These areas include, but are not limited to, Kibera, Mathare, Huruma, Mukuru Kwa Njenga, Mukuru Kwa Reuben, Korogocho, Kariobangi Kangemi, Mwiki and Kawangware. The FCO's advice against all but essential travel to low income areas of Nairobi does not include or affect transit through Nairobi airport.

For travel between Jomo Kenyatta Airport (JKIA) and Nairobi city you should use the Mombasa road. There is a higher risk of car-jacking on the old airport road (Airport South Road) and Jogoo Road.

There were a number of violent incidents that resulted in fatalities in Coast Province in 2013. Although these were mainly against Kenyan police targets, you should take extra care in the coast area and be vigilant, particularly in public places.

On 2 February 2014, police raided the Musa mosque in Majengo district of Mombasa, resulting in several deaths. Tensions in the area remain very high and violent protests are a strong possibility. You are strongly advised to avoid demonstrations and public gatherings; pay close attention to your personal security and monitor the media for information about possible safety or security risks.

If you visit Lamu Island, travel by air if possible. This is for security reasons and also because of poor road conditions. Buses and other vehicles on the road to Lamu have been attacked by armed robbers. If you travel overland from Lamu to Malindi, you should travel in an armed police convoy.

Most visits to game reserves and other tourist areas are trouble-free, but robberies have been reported occasionally. If you visit reserves, use reputable tour operators and arrive at your destination in daylight hours. Don't buy safari tours from touts. Always follow park regulations and wardens' advice. Entrance fees to the national parks and reserves were increased on 1 January 2014.

There are risks associated with viewing wildlife, particularly on foot or at close range. Bathing in rivers and lakes is forbidden in National Parks and is best avoided elsewhere due to the dangers from both wildlife and water-borne disease.

Rural areas, particularly in the north and north eastern parts of Kenya, experience cattle rustling, banditry and ethnic clashes. Foreigners are not usually the target of localised violence and banditry, but you should take great care in the north and north east. Tribal clashes in the Marsabit county in December 2013 left a number of people dead. Monitor local media and take care in all remote areas. Seek local police advice before you set off and travel in convoy of at least 2 vehicles.

Although the border with Somalia has officially been closed since 2007, crossings take place frequently. Landmines have been used in attacks around Moyale, close to the main A2 road south. Vehicles crossing the Kenya-Ethiopia border at this point should stay on the A2. Avoid staying at the rest house at Sololo - travel directly to Marsabit Town before breaking the journey.

As a result of previous armed clashes in the area of Mount Elgon in western Kenya next to the Ugandan border, a large security presence remains and further incidents are possible. Seek local advice before you set off.

A Safety and Communication Centre operated by the Kenya Tourism Federation gives up to the minute tourist advice as well as providing help in an emergency. You can contact the Centre on +254 20 800100 or by e-mail to: [email protected].

Road travel

You can drive for up to 3 months using a UK driving licence. For longer stays, you'll need to get a Kenyan driving licence.

Only hire vehicles from reputable companies.

Road conditions and driving standards are often poor. Drive with windows closed and doors locked. When driving outside cities and in remote areas consider driving in convoy. Avoid driving at night wherever possible.

There have been a number of serious accidents involving long-distance buses. Vehicles are often poorly maintained and driven at excessive speed. Check the bus operator's safety standards.

Though very cheap to use, matatus (minibuses) are notorious for being poorly maintained, badly driven and uninsured. There are frequent reports of matatus being hijacked and passengers being robbed.

New traffic regulations were introduced in July 2013 increasing the fines and punishments for traffic violations. On the spot fines are common, but not legal. If stopped by a police officer you should ask for the due process to be followed. The officer should issue you with a ‘receipt for cash bond', a piece of paper telling you when and where you need to attend court to answer the charge against you.

Rail travel

Passenger trains run between Nairobi and Kisumu and between Nairobi and Mombasa. Doors can only be locked from the inside. Take care of your belongings while on the train and at railway stations. If you leave your compartment, take your valuables with you.

Air travel

There are some concerns about the lack of security arrangements in place at Wilson airport in Nairobi. The airport is mainly used for domestic flights, including charters. Be vigilant at all times when transiting airports.

If you plan to charter a private aircraft, check with the company's Safety Pilot about the condition of the aircraft and runways to be used. If the company has no Safety Pilot, find another company that does.

Sea travel

Piracy is a significant threat in the Gulf of Aden and the Indian Ocean and has occurred as far as 1,000 nautical miles from the coast of Somalia. Attacks of piracy and armed robbery are successful almost exclusively against shipping which has not complied with agreed shipping industry best practice on self-defence measures, including routing. Sailing vessels are particularly vulnerable to attack due to their low speed and low freeboard. All mariners intending to sail through high risk areas should consider alternatives like transporting the vessel by yacht carrier.

See our Piracy in the Indian Ocean page.

Registration with the British High Commission

The LOCATE system is no longer used for registering details of British nationals, and the recently piloted SMS registration service has been discontinued. You can keep up to date with this travel advice by subscribing to email alerts. Read the FCO's How to deal with a crisis overseas page for further information.

Jonex,

Much of the information in the previous post is totally irrelevant to you, as you have specified that you are visiting Nairobi.  Not the northeast, the coast, the Indian Ocean, the Somali Border etc etc. 

I don't think that you should be put off visiting by the previous post.  Very very few visitors are injured, or killed in Kenya, when you compare this to the numbers that visit per annum. 

Concerning Nairobi:  The part (above) about street crime could apply to any large city and similar precautions should be followed.  The city centre is relatively OK during daylight hours.  Extra care is needed at night and walking the streets after dark is a definite no no.  If you go out at night, you should use a taxi between your accommodation and whever you are going.  When out and about I would recommend that you remain vigliant and fully aware of your surroundings, so wearing headphones and listening to music is not recommended. 

The visa process is simple and quick.  You can download an application form from the Kenya High Commission website.  Alternatively, you can complete the form on arrival.  The visa costs £30, or $50, payable in either currency.  Last time I passed through Jomo Kenyatta airport, from getting off the plane to getting out of the airport took approximately 20 mins.

I lived enough in Nairobi to know that Nairobi IS dangerous...

Or put it this way, it's as safe as Joburg, Lagos, etc.

Visit Singapore by night and then try to do the same in Nairobi. You will see the difference!

And I truly believe that the safety warnings issued by a number of European countries ARE relevant

(Moderated: Please avoid leaving your phone number on the forum)

Im italian and i live in nairobi... in my life i saw a lot of place and so many thin... is true kenya can be dangerous if you go near somali border or in the north west of the country. but let me tel you Nairobi is a big town mostly safe.  in europe we have place like scampia(napoli) or Berbès(paris) and they are not different from nairobi so if you will use your brain nothing will happen
Alex

To be honest Kenya is the best and is always perfect, in any positive activity that one might need. in case you will be in Kenya please call me so as to take you around our country here is my contacts [Moderated: no phone number on the forum pls] Email is [email protected]

[Moderated: please post in the Language classes in Nairobi section pls ]

Nairobi is not that safe as you may seem to believe just keep away night traveling and crazy clubs coz insecurity reports are highly reported in major areas, nice stay.

I agree with other posters, I hate travelling to Nairobi over other places in Kenya - its like a whole other set of safety rules unless you can live in a Karen or Runda bubble during your stay. Especially if you're used to European living. I have had to adapt a lot of things, and I am targeted a lot because of my skin...they think you have money if you're white. I have been in Kenya 5 years and while in Nairobi I have been car hijacked, the apartment I stayed in was broken into, my phone has been stolen right from my purse, and my clothes stolen off a clothing line....and I don't even live there (just travel through sometimes). My sister lives in Mombasa and has been to Nairobi three times, one of which was hijacked at gun-point travelling to the airport. I don't want to scare you, as I'm not afraid, but you DO have to take extra precautions, lock your car doors, go in tinted Window cars only, don't have phones or cameras on when it's dark, leave windows up and drive with AC. If you follow a lot of those rules you probably will be fine...I've had to learn them the hard way obviously. Saying that, Kenya IS very beautiful, and there are lots of places you can be and feel safe and enjoy it. Just plan carefully, and make sure you're staying in good areas.

[Moderated: no free ad pls]