Working conditions and the environment

Hi

My name is Antony and I am a management professional from Australia. I have a potential of taking up a job in PNG for 3 years. How is the working conditions and the environment.  Will I be in a position to take up my family and are there good schools for my son aged 9 (grade3).

afrancis63
Welcome to Expat.com. I take it you will be living in Port Moresby and the position is not fly in fly out but residential.
If so is the employer providing accommodation and covering school fees ??
On a long term contract this is often one of the incentives offered.

There are good schools in Moresby just do a Google search for them.
Security is important so accommodation should be guarded. Do not go out alone at night, do not flash money around or wear flashy jewelry, be careful at ATM's when drawing out money.
It is all commonsense.

What sort of work will you be doing and where.

I personally would not take family there but go fly in fly out. You could also look at family coming up for holidays.

I want a drilling work and I need to be contact by someone who knows more about the place and give me more crew about the place and the working conditions over there.

Stumpy
Thanks

The employer will be providing accommodation but I believe the school fees is not a part of the package.
How secure is travelling for work especially between Lae and Port? What is the distance between these cities?

afrancis63 wrote:

Stumpy
Thanks

The employer will be providing accommodation but I believe the school fees is not a part of the package.
How secure is travelling for work especially between Lae and Port? What is the distance between these cities?

Flying is the only way between the 2 cities so safe enough. Just need to have someone pick you up at each airport, don't hang around outside the terminal waiting, stay inside and have the driver phone you when he gets there.

Again I would go FIFO, to me PNG is not a family friendly place especially for someone who has never been there before. You could go up yourself initially until you get a feel for the place then make a decision regarding bringing family up. I do speak from experience, having worked up there off and on over a number of years.

I would be asking the company for school fees if they want you to reside there.

Thanks

I'll be in touch with you as and when I know more about the job and its whereabouts.

Hello afrancis63,

I created a new separated thread with your posts on the Papua New Guinea forum for more visibility. :)

Thank you,

Priscilla  :cheers: