Residency Details for a Family

Hello All,

New to the forums and have done quite a bit of reading the last few weeks. I really appreciate all of the useful information you have all put together here. It is quite invaluable to those of us in the process.

We are prepping for a scouting mission to make sure we like Belize in the flesh. In the meantime, being simple people living a simple life, there are technical questions we are looking to get off our list so that we know what we would be getting into.

We are NOT of retirement age and are NOT interested in the QRP option.

I understand the other option is to fulfill a requirement of 1 year of living in the country without leaving for more than 14 days.

My question has to do with gaining residency in Belize for a family of four (2 Adults and 2 kids 13 & 10yrs. old).

From what I understand there is the monthly check in with immigration to get your passport stamped and that costs $25 US / 50 BZE, per person for the first 6 months and then costs $50 US / 100 BZE for every month after that.

I have also read that we could then officially apply for residency after the full year passes (without leaving for 14 days or more) and would have to keep paying the $50 US / 100 BZE per person each month until we are accepted (approx. 6 months is what I have read).

Please correct any of the above if I am off.

So here are my questions:

1) I have read that we would need a police background check & HIV Test (I assume this is just drawing blood from each of us and having it tested). Is there anything else (ie. Belizean sponsor, etc.)

2) I also understand that there is a fee for the application of residency ($1,500 US / 3,000 BZE) and am unclear on how much that is for a family of four. Is it $1,500 US each person or for a couple or all of us? How exactly does that work?

3) When NOT applying for the QRP program is there a requirement to have a "proven minimum monthly income"?

4)Is there in fact a period of time after gaining residency where you can ship your belongings etc. without taxation?

5)Do you apply for residency after the year is up or can this be done a few months before hand to get the ball rolling?

6)I have read conflicting info on drivers license requirements and would like to know if it is true that you can use your US DL until you gain residency at which time you are then required to get a BZ DL ???

Thank you all in advance for taking the time to help with this.

Hope to have the opportunity to meet some of you someday.

Hello!

I don't know the answer to all your questions but will answer the ones I am fairly certain on below, and perhaps someone will come in and answer the others.

Jardin del Alma wrote:

From what I understand there is the monthly check in with immigration to get your passport stamped and that costs $25 US / 50 BZE, per person for the first 6 months and then costs $50 US / 100 BZE for every month after that.

Correct -- we've been doing that.  Don't know if there is any price break for children as we are just a couple.

Jardin del Alma wrote:

I have also read that we could then officially apply for residency after the full year passes (without leaving for 14 days or more) and would have to keep paying the $50 US / 100 BZE per person each month until we are accepted (approx. 6 months is what I have read).

Correct.  I have heard that it takes more like 3 months, typically but can vary, so probably best to budget for 6 months on the outside.

Jardin del Alma wrote:

3) When NOT applying for the QRP program is there a requirement to have a "proven minimum monthly income"?

No.  That is one of the main advantages of Permanent Residency vs. QRP. 

Jardin del Alma wrote:

5)Do you apply for residency after the year is up or can this be done a few months before hand to get the ball rolling?

I'm nearly positive that you can't even apply until you have fulfilled the one year requirement.

Sorry I can't answer all your questions.  We are on tourist visas, but this is what I've heard from others who have gone through the Permanent residency application process.  You might want to google "Belize Permanent Residency" to gain more insights from others who have actually gone through the process.

Good luck!

Thank you for what you could answer CaribeGal.

I am continuing the search but it is always nice to hear directly from folks who have gone through or are going through the process as I know that what happens on the ground is sometimes not the same as what you read in print.

Besides, I figure there are probably plenty of others who will have the same questions.

#4... You ask about duty once you gain residency... I have done nothing but research...My husband is in Belize right now ahead of me. I believe that once you gain residency you will be able to bring your personal household goods into Belize duty free. This includes furniture, but does NOT include a vehicle. You will still pay duty on boats, planes and cars... I believe...lol

Besides getting your passport stamped every 30 days I have read that after 6 months you must get a self employed work visa even if you are not going to be working and earning an income. Is this true?

Any expats on here between 6 to 12 months into their stay in Belize   and could verify and share their experience at immigration.

I have been here nine months and have heard rumors, but nothing in my experience can verify. I just go in, pay, and get my stamp.  I take all my paperwork (utility bill  copy of bank statement, copy of return ticket itinerary) along just in case they ask for it.

Thanks Cathiekl, do you get your passport stamped in Belmopan or at the police station?

Quote from
ambergriscaye.com/economics/immigration-perm-resid.html

All visitors to Belize, regardless of the purpose of their visit, are issued a 30-day visa upon arrival. This is renewable, for up to six months, at any immigration office in the country (at borders and principal cities/towns) by paying $25.00 USD the first 6 months and $50.00 USD the second six months. You must be prepared to present proof of sustenance for the period in question. If you intend to stay more than six months, you have to apply for a work permit.

Any individual who will be working on projects within Belize, or conducting business of any kind, whether or not they are generating an income here, must have a "Temporary Self-Employment" work permit. Once permanent residency status is granted, a work permit is no longer required, and residents are permitted to move freely in and out of the country. All work permits are valid for one year; the cost ranges from US$25 for missionaries and volunteers, to US$750 for investors (professional and technical workers). Note: These fees reflect the February 1999 increase.

I am not quite sure how to interpret this. Does that mean all expats after 6 months in Belize and waiting for perm res. have to get this temp work permit?

canadianbcgirl wrote:

Besides getting your passport stamped every 30 days I have read that after 6 months you must get a self employed work visa even if you are not going to be working and earning an income. Is this true?

Any expats on here between 6 to 12 months into their stay in Belize   and could verify and share their experience at immigration.

That's not the case.  We are retired and lived in Belize for 18 months and never had to do anything of the sort.  Knew other expats in the same situation.  You are not required to obtain a work permit unless you plan to work.  That does include volunteer work; however.  The stamp you'll receive in your passport every month indicates that you may not work, either paid or unpaid, while on a tourist visa. 

However, I know plenty of expats who volunteer their time without obtaining a work permit.  I would never encourage anyone to break the law, but I think the restriction on unpaid work is silly since volunteers of all types are always needed in Belize.  It's just shooting themselves in the foot to require someone to pay to volunteer their time IMO.

Hi there, I see you are a family of 4, we are a family of 5 wanting to move down from cananda. This is an old post but wanted to check if you ever moved down there?  How did the process go with being able to stay in country longer ect?

Thanks Krystal

CaribeGal wrote:
canadianbcgirl wrote:

That's not the case.  We are retired and lived in Belize for 18 months and never had to do anything of the sort.  Knew other expats in the same situation.  You are not required to obtain a work permit unless you plan to work.  That does include volunteer work; however.  The stamp you'll receive in your passport every month indicates that you may not work, either paid or unpaid, while on a tourist visa. 

However, I know plenty of expats who volunteer their time without obtaining a work permit.  I would never encourage anyone to break the law, but I think the restriction on unpaid work is silly since volunteers of all types are always needed in Belize.  It's just shooting themselves in the foot to require someone to pay to volunteer their time IMO.

So, to my understanding, we can fly down there and get a 30 day visa and we can renew it or get it stamped every 30 days and stay another 6-12 month on that?  WE are a family of 5

You get a 30 day visa on entering the country.  Then, every 30 days you must go to the local Immigration office and apply for an additional 30 day extension.  For the first six months, the extension costs $50BZ for each person.  After that the extension costs $100BZ for each person.  Once a person has been in country without leaving for a total of 14 days, they can apply to,become permanent residents.

Thanks Cathiekl,

Do you know of any rental websites or agencies for houses in the Placencia area?

This information may no longer be useful but Michael Kramer ([email protected]) runs a property management company for houses and condos on the Placencia peninsula. There are probably others as well. I think he has about 15 houses under management.