Single Lady retiring to Panama

Hi Patti and All,
I'm a retired 60something - visted 6wks July-August 2013. Was in
Panama City, Boquette, and Coronado. Planning to move to Coronado in June2014. Buses are frequent on Panamanian Hwy,and Coronado is just an hour from Panama City (PC)and a very-big-mall. Also, its easy to take an hour's flight from PC-Albrook west to David to visit Boquette. I stayed 2nts in Hotel Fundadores. The staff speaks no English. American hospitals are in PC - Johns Hopkins and Cleveland Clinic. Coronado has beach and nearby mountains, and expat community. I'll be learning more Spanish! Good luck,
Susan

Tips from a guy who moved to Panama
If you are receiving over $1000 or so, you could quality for a retiree visa here. There is a lot of red tape and you will need a lawyer, and there are things you must do before you leave, such as having documents like birth certificates, police records, etc "apostilled" or in other words, authenticated by the Panamanian consul nearest you. If you wait until you get here as we did in the case of some of our documents, then you will have to FedEx them back to your country of origin to the Panamanian consul there and he/she will have to FedEx them back ($60 each way).
Now, some of the benefits of residency for retirees are:
1--10% discounts on many purchases, more than that on drugs (no discount on food in stores, but yes on food in restaurants)
2--ZERO % property taxes on your home.
3--Lower property and other prices for most staples (a little higher for office supplies, some drugs, etc that must be imported),
4--You don't have to be politically correct in your conversation.

I am also thinking of moving to Panama.  Let's talk.

I'm going on a  relocation tour January 18th.  It's a good but kind of expensive way to explore Panama if you don't have the time.  I'm moving by myself and have to say its a bit anxiety provoking.  So I'm looking to meet other women.
'=

i am doing that tour in Feb myself.  I am retiring in a couple of weeks and have had Panama on my mind for a while, though probably not for a permanent relocation, given that I'm fairly happy and have a lot of things I want to do in free time In DC, where I have lived for many decades. 
Let me know what it is like.  I am going to the blues and jazz festival first in Boquete, then take the tour, then chill ion Contadora Island, with several days in Panama City scattered throughout.
Enjoy the relocation tour.  I am most interested in your views.  Do you have an idea of where you might want to live/stay yet?

I switched to February.  I could not get it together by the 18th of January.  So I hope I see you.

I'm Trish from California.

Are you going to do the relocation tour?  I think it's rather expensive but at least I think I'll get all my questions answered.

Trish

Thanks for that great advice.

You will.  I retire next week.   I'm Monette.  Originally from the Boston area but I've been a Fed for 35 plus years, starting in the Peace Corps and for the last t 30 plus years doing foreign policy things.  I'm going early to Boquete to the Jazz festival and will be in Panama City on Thurs before the tour begins.  See you soon and happy new year!

Hello all,
        I have been in PTY and fell in love with the country. I'll be sailing my boat down and most likely moor in Boca Chica. It's close to David and the Enrique airport will be international in 2014 from what I hear. 2014 will be a banner year for Panama as it celebrates the new canal, the 100th anniversary of the old, the completion of the subway system and the independence from Columbia, Spain and its own right. Depending on where one wants to live is a decision that needs looking into. Yes, Spanish is the language and it helps if you speak it. It shows respect. The climate can vary depending on where you are. Mostly, I noticed that it is humid. Me, I can deal with that. If one were to look for a "girlfriend" yeah, they're out there. Looking for American passports, and from what I hear, also carry a number of STD'S

Pros! The pensionado program. As stated in another post, discounts on airfares and other items. health and welfare is something that Obama should get a clue on. The people are fabulous!

Cons: The only thing that I have found to date is the banking. Transactions from the States can be expensive. Carry a lot of cash and open an account in PTY.  The second thing I found irritating are the "sand fleas"  Other than that, I love the country.

Hello brensoap,

This is a good place to start and get information regarding Panama or other countries. When were thinking about leaving? I took a trip in 2012 and traveled most of the country. Needless to say, I was overwhelmed with everything. Beautiful country and people. I thought I had picked a location for my boat, but now find myself asking more questions. If you can think of something specific, post it. I'm sure you'll get some good advice. 

Captain Steve

There is something I've been wondering about.  If you are over 65 health care gets expensive.  Where would one go to get a perspective on all the competing health insurances.  Which one is the most affordable with reasonable deductibles.

Hello Trishd,

If you are considering becoming an expat in Panama, then you would get discounted rates for medical and such. Requirements are fairly simple, you need to prove and income of not less than $1000.00USD per month and have 3 months of current bank statements to show that. When I was at the Red Frog Marina, I met a person who had major medical issues and spent 2 weeks in the hospital. What was his cost out of pocket? $75.00. Go figure. Hope this helps.

Captain Steve

Hello all,

Just found this---- Good information

Website
http://www.panamalawyermayralamboglia.com/Services.htm

both english & spanish speaking.

Where are you thinking about moving?  Do you speak any Spanish?  What types of activities do you enjoy?

I am moving to Puerto Armuelles this year.  I've found there are many good expat groups here in Panama, and generally Panamanians are welcoming and very helpful, especially if you try to speak the language.  I've already made a few Panamanian female friends, and they are great fun.

Do get in touch if you get out my way

Are you planning on taking a relocation tour?  Even though it is expensive I think this is the best way to get all the answers you may need.

I'm 65 in June so my interest is healthcare.  I keep hearing differing tales about it so I'm hoping the tour will clear it up.

Trish

Is there some one to talk to about living in panama

Hi!  I'm moving to Puerto Armuelles, and will be returning in April.  I am curious about the relocation tour...How was it?  What did they show you??
Please stay in touch, and let me know how you fare!
Take care!

Jackie has a website.  Panama Relocation Tours.  You can call her, as well.

:cool:
Did you go for a visit? I've been following your posts but really just looking for now.
I'm single and planning to try Mexico or Panama for a month or 2 before maing a move.

Hi: Have you been there before, and whenre are you planning to go? I've planned on Mx, but now Panama looks interesting.

Did you move to Boquette?  I'm considering...

Who is Jackie and is she the go-to person who dies the relocation tours?

I read your blog and admire you as a adventurer iam so wanting to live in panama also roger

I too am a single, older gal who is considering retiring in Panama.  Recently heard that its lower cost of living might be just what I'm looking for.  I'd love to meet/greet other women with similar circimstances.  Any and all info from gals AND guys would be very welcome.

NYSTP here.  If you check way back to the beginning of this posting, you will see that I was one of the first respondees.  Lots of progress since then.  In 5 days I should be in Panama, on my way to Playa Rompio (near Chitre on the Azuero)!!  With any luck my dog will be with me...  They're putting me through the wringer trying to get all the paperwork back in time.   I'm looking forward to meeting some of the gringas I've been corresponding with for the last year or two.  There seems to be a good support system on the Azuero for single women or women just looking for friends.  Here's to the good life!

Hello!
I'm hoping to retire in a more cost effective community than what I can find in the USA too.  I recently heard about Panama having a wonderful climate and that it offers lower cost of living than what is available in USA.

It would be nice to visit Panama and see for myself all the wonderful things I've heard about it in general and about the city of Boquete in particular.  Sometime this year I hope to make a trip to Panama for about a week.  Most of that week I plan to investigate housing, healthcare, banking and the like.  I also would like to scope out some real estate cost in communities of other expatriates.

I am still in my working years but I'm in my early 60's and know that I'll be retiring in the near future.  I enjoy good health, beaches and relaxing with good friends and music.  I'm originally from New Orleans and have never lost my love of R&B, Jazz and good food!

Please let me know if you would like to gab more about a possible trip to Panama

Hi NYSTP,

Congratulations on making your move!  I haven't been on this site for some time, so it was great to find a post from one of the "originals". It was even greater to find that you've landed in Panama. 

No doubt you're probably settling in.  Would love to hear of your venture while visiting there, and your feedback on the town that you've settled in. I am going to message you my email address. Feel free to share pics.

I originally was looking at retiring at 62yrs (4.5 yrs away).  Though I am now figuring that 60 is what I'm pushing for.  I returned to the site to get motivated again about researching the possibilities.  Again, was great to find your post.

Take care and hope to hear back from you,
New Soil (Anna- from CA)

Hi.... I'm single and thinking of moving to boquette also.   Can't do relocation tour yet.   Let's get acquainted....

....What "relocation tour" are you referring to?  I'm new on this site and also a single woman thinking to relocate; a tour with emphasis on "relocation" would probably be a good place to start.  Thanks

I am on the peninsula, 20 minutes from Puerto Armuelles if you like to visit the area I can gave you a tour.

(Moderated: Please register in the Panama business directory)

Captain Steve and others - I'm moving from South Carolina May 2014; arrive PC May 19 - then May 20 to a condo on the Bay in Coronado. Would love to connect with other expats. And I'm a sailer, so want to see Steve's boat! Susan   :)

Go to Picasso's Pizza Place in Coronado on Wednesdays to meet with expats.
K

Yup, I know....was there last summer.

Hello
I am coming to Panama to investigate whether its the final place for me to retire.
I have been to many other places including US locations and believe this might be the place
The cooler temps are a plus for me since I do live in AZ right now.
I am looking to move next year and will be there July 4th 2014 for a month.
I am single and I do hope there is at least one nice single lady around, but as the rest of folks here, it not my priority .

hello
I am moving to Boquette in about 8 months or so
Are you still going to go there?
Jim :)

Hy

come to Volcán , is a nice mountain área, and have here a group of expatris  too.
Regards
likra

HY
Come to Volcán área.Is a nice place in the mountains of Panama, at 45 min from boquete and a hour from David.
regards
Likra

really
I have never been there
I am looking to buy a home where ever I settle down.
This will be the trip where I decide to buy..... I love the water but do not want to deal with the heat
Is Volcan where you  are?
Jim