Driving license in Namibia

Hi all,

Can a foreigner take the driving test in Namibia?

What are the formalities to get a driver's licence in Namibia?

Do you need special or extra documents being an expatriate?

How much does it cost?

Thank you for participating ;).

Armand

Hi,

You want to learn from scratch or are you talking about converting a foreign licence to a Namibian one?

Harriet.

Hello,

I have my canadian licence. How can I convert it to a Namibian one?

Thank you very much!

Hello Virginie,

You just need to go to NATIS - either the one in town just behind the Old Brewery, or the one near the power station in the Northern Industrial area.  If your Canadian license is still valid, you should be able to exchange it for a Namibian license as long as you have your work visa/permit in your passport.  It will take a couple of weeks or more.  They will take your photo, fingerprint, details and you will need to return to pick up your license once it is ready.

Good luck,
Danette

Hi Virginie,

I left a post below about going to NATIS.  Here is there website detail:  http://www.ra.org.na/index.php?option=c … &showall=1

Good luck,
Danette

I have a similar question. What's the procedure for taking a driving test in Namibia and getting a licence. I can drive already but haven't got time to take the test before I move to Namibia. So would like to know how I cant get a licence there. I a a foreign citizen.

Hi A. Gala,

Hope you enjoy Namibia when you move here.  We love it!

My Canadian driver's license had expired by the time I moved to Namibia and I didn't have problems getting a Namibian license with my Namibian work permit. 

I had to take an oral exam testing my knowledge of Namibian rules of the road (now the exam is written), and I had to do the practical road test.  You'll need to buy the Namibian driver training book to familiarize yourself with the names of the signage, etc.  I bought mine at a AAA travel agency in Windhoek.  I also recommend that you hire a driving instructor because it'll make your life so much easier when taking the exam. The driving instructors and people at NATIS where you take your exam, know each other and you'll have an easier time of it.  I drove for 30 years in big cities in Canada, the United States and Europe and I still hired an instructor (Mrs. Bauer).

I think as long as you have a permit in your passport, you will be able to get a Namibian driver's license. 

Good luck.

Danette

Hi Danette,

Thank you so much for the explanation. It's really hard to find a clear one online.

I just wonder how long it would take and what's the breakdown of costs, i.e. the tests and hiring an instructor. I will need a few lessons in Namibia, as I won't be familiar with the roads there. Luckily the traffic is left hand one like in the UK.

G.

Hi G.

I retook my license five years ago in Namibia so I can't give you exact amounts as far as costs are concerned.  I believe I paid something like N$2,500 for my driving exams and the book was around N$150.00.  You will use the instructor's vehicle both for practice and the exam.  The license itself couldn't have been that much five years ago.  My renewal right now is N$150.00 so perhaps it was in that price range.

You could probably take one or two lessons in theory and spend a couple of weeks in driver training and then go for your driving test.  You can obtain a temporary driver's license immediately after passing everything.  The hard copy took about four weeks.

The exams were oral back then and at least 20 students sat at a big table and the examiner would ask each of us different questions.  I think it might be better now since they allow written exams.   At that time they liked to grill a person on the 'name' of the road sign, e.g. director overhead, blah, blah.  I can't remember the names anymore. It might be worth your while to also hire an instructor for the theoretical since they know the questions that will be asked on the exam and it will give you a heads up.   

I spent about three weeks in driver training with my instructor (six or ten lessons, I believe).  She took me on the routes that the examiner will take you on and she pointed out things that might trap a person into making mistakes.  We practiced parking, etc., as well.

When I took my driver's license I had to line up outside NATIS at 0530 in the morning.  The lineups are LONG!  Perhaps that has changed, too, since NATIS has been working hard to improve things. 

Hope this helps.  Please let me know if you need anything else.

Cheers,
Danette

Thank you!! That's really helpful!

5.30 AM!! I read an article about it  but couldn't understand what people were lining up for :)

I may try to get my stuff done in the UK now if I get a time slot some time soon. :)))

Would like to know how to get a letter of approval for a licence conversion from european(Malta) to Namibian have been emailing the Malta Transport department but they havent responded and its been a month already and the person's licence is expireing

Hi Malta Traveler,

I'm not sure you need to get a letter of approval for conversion.  Are you moving here or visiting?  If you are visiting, you only need a copy of your Malta license as long as it is in English.  Even so, I recommend you get an International Driver's License while you are still in Malta.  It costs very little and is probably safer.  You can obtain one from a AAA Travel Agency in Malta before you come (whether you are visiting or moving here).  It takes about 20 minutes. They are usually valid for a year and will tide you over.  I've purchased International Driver's Licenses twice before and all you need are two passport size photos and your current valid driver's license. 

As far as moving here is concerned, I believe you submit your license here and they will exchange it for you.  Here is what is says on the Namibian government website:

"Conversion of Foreign Driving Licence

A driving licence issued in another country is deemed to be valid for the period of validity in that country.

Requirements

The driving licence must be valid (not expired)
It must be in English or if in another language than English must be translated by a competent authority (embassy, sworn translator)
The licence must contain the photo and signature of the holder thereof

Namibians or permanent resident holders who obtained foreign driving licenses have a twelve (12) months grace period to convert their foreign driving licences to Namibian driving licences. Failure to convert within the prescribed period will nullify the driving licences.I don't think you need a letter of approval for a license conversion. " 

It sounds to me as if you don't need a letter from Malta.

Here is the website:  http://www.ra.org.na/index.php?option=c … mitstart=1

Good luck,
Danette

Hi Danette

I went to Natis and they said that I need a letter from Malta as the person has been here as a permanent resident for almost 6 years now. If you have any more information for me on this matter please let me know and thank you for responding I really appreciate you trying to help.

I see the driver's  licence topic is very old, but I need some info.  My son (now a Nam Citizen) has lost his SA Licence but now has a temporary licence.  Can he apply for conversion to Nam Licence with that.

Goodday wanted to ask, ls lt possible for me to apply for a namibian driver's license here in namibia am a visitor from south Africa i am here for three months,,,  I don't have a southafrican drivers license