Bringing my personal vehicle to Cambodia

I already have the vehicle engine displacement and model year tariff chart for bringing in cars and motorcycles. I've been told by an acquaintance that someone relocating to Cambodia can get some form of exemption for their personal vehicle on the ridiculously high  tariffs/tax levied at the port of entry? Does anyone have any first hand information on the ability of a foreigner to bring their personal vehicle into the country?

Thanks Mike Medina

Hi MIKE. I AM CONSIDERING BRINGING MY MINI-VAN. IM CURIOUS ALSO. CAN YOU FORWARD THE INFO TO ME WHEN YOU GET IT. THANKS, DON

A

there seems to be two mikes on this thread so im not sure if youre talking to me . I never heard from anyone and haven't gotten any difinitive answer through my researching the subject online.. im currently preparing to return in august to finish negotiating the terms of operating my NGO having taken care of everything that neeed to be done in the states. Ive read a little about people entering the country to live while working at an NGO being able to bring all of their belongings into the country tax free. But im just going to ask the questions when im in cambodia and return stateside to gather my things.

I am trying to find out the taxes on my 2004 Toyota Sienna. It is wheelchair adapted. If I can find an answer I will forward it to you. I have tried the Cambodian embassy in Washington but had no luck. The guy in Washington suggested finding out from the shippers. The only answer I got from a shipper was 122% of it's estimated worth. Value=12000 usd. tax would be prohibitive. That's around 15,000 usd. Does that sound like any of your research.Thanks, Don

yes, 122% sounds about right for a car under 10 years old but your vehicle is above the 10 threshold so it is taxed a bit lower. i would say its cheaper to buy one here but the wheelchair adapted is going to be tough. fyi cambodia is not the place to be for wheelchair accessibility. some western hotels yes but day to day living will be difficult because just finding even pavement to negotiate us a problem and youre talking a lot of rain and mud

If you want an adapted wheelchair into cambodia, simply bring it in from thailand, sitting in the wheelchair, as any other normal handicapped person. No one will ask you anything in regards to that. I am guessing it does not have an id number like a motorbike or something, so should not be a problem. Other than that, maybe you can take it apart, and bring it in in suitcases.. Again, no problem, as long as it does not need to be registred with license plate or something..

Thank you for your post. I think I didn't communicate well. I have flown into Cambodia three times and have not had trouble with my wheelchair. I was asking about the import tax on my 2004 Toyota minivan that has been modified so I can drive it. The unofficial information I have is 120% of an arbitrary evaluation of $12,000 for a tax of $14,000 in addition to the shipping cost of $3,000. My fiance' has a Toyota Camry I can transfer into. It's more difficult but for nearly 20 grand I can make the effort. Do you have experience bringing a car into Cambodia. Don