"Other Markets besides- " BEN THANH MARKET"

Shopping inside the market will require you to practice the art of bargaining and, as they commonly deal with unsuspecting tourists, the vendors at Ben Thanh are pros. A common practice is to inflate prices to double or triple their actual value, meaning you must work the price down to get a reasonable deal. A quick tip in bargaining at Ben Thanh is to cruise the outer ring of the market, where all stalls are fixed priced and most items are actually marked with a price tag. This will give you a good idea of what a moderate price will be when you go inside to haggle.

Last week i went to "Ben Thanh", stopped at a jewelry store, and a foreigner lady was asking the price for a necklace. The sales person replied 600vnd.  I told the foreigner lady, thats to much for it, try to bring the price down, the same necklace at night market in GoVap is 160vnd.  The sales person heard me speaking to the lady, when she rudely said (You dont buy, You dont speak) LOL I started to laugh and told the lady. "They sell 3x the price and with a attitude. " You should definitely go somewhere else "

Can anyone tell me the Location and name of other markets where i can find good deals.
Thank you

1. Chợ Kim Biên, Vạn Tượng, Quận 5
2. Binh Tay Market, 57A Thap Muoi - Wrd. 2, Dis. 6 Ho Chi Minh city
3. Chợ Hoà Bình, 37 Bạch Vân
phường 5, Q.5
4. chợ Thiếc, Phó Cơ Điều,P.6,Q.11 (Especially for jewelry shopping)

Didnt you just mention Go Vap night markets

Thank you CharmaVietnam... I will try those places .. next time... ( if i can find them ) lol

Yes.. colinoscapee

GoVap.. Night Market.. i been there.... the prices seem reasonable

Yes Go Vap is much cheaper due to the fact its a locals market. When you go there you will notice a lot of young girls from the countryside buying clothes, many many clothes there.

I think if you are a tourist and only come here for a short time like a week or less, Ben Thanh is alright as time is precious. To go to a market further would incur cost and time not to mention the language barrier.
Where is Go Vap market? I saw when travelling a market name Tan Huong north of Cach Mang Tang 8, anybody how is the market?

The Go Vap Local Market is on the corner https://www.google.com/maps/@10.8371891,106.6592857,16z

Quang Trung and Le Van Tho Street.

There is also another market at Nguyen Van Nghi and Nguyen Thai Son,Go Vap.

Both these two markets are far from town. Which of these listed above are worth taking a look. Must have interesting food or specialty in something like "chợ Thiếc, Phó Cơ Điều,P.6,Q.11 (Especially for jewelry shopping)".

I heard there are markets that has plenty fishes, and or vegetables and or meat somewhere in HCM city. Probably wholesale in nature therefore open wee in the morning.

Jaitch once posted a very long list of (all) markets in town here: https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=138899

what name do locals call Cho lon markets and the markets near  Calemette & Seure streets

Cho Lon is a very large area, depending who you ask it runs from district 5,6 to 11 so you'd have many cho's in that area.
However, most people would say the market of Cho Lon is the Binh Tay market which is actually in Q.6

Not sure which market on Calmette you're asking about, perhaps Dan Sinh on Yersin str.? Yersin is the parallel street to Calmette and the VN pronounce Yersin as "Dan Sinh", that's why the market is called that way.

Are you talking about the market near Calmette street that sells a lot of electrical goods and materials, if so thats Yersin Market

colinoscapee wrote:

Are you talking about the market near Calmette street that sells a lot of electrical goods and materials, if so thats Yersin Market

Ah ,also there was an outdoor market know as the thieves market.
That was until the land was sold for development that's yet to be completed.

cheers all, the market is in the ground level under what could be residensual and from Yersin to Pho Duc Chinh they sell spices, grain  and other food stuffs in one section and tools and stuff in the other there is also a section for antique (?) memoribillia, great spot for thing you cant find in Aus

Hi all,

May I add:

5. Chợ Tân Bình (Cho Tan Binh), Ly Thuong Kiet Street, famous in wedding dress, fabric, garment, ao dai & ao dai khan dong, Chinese dress (main supplier of shops in District 1)

6. Chợ Bà Chiểu (Cho Ba Chieu) next to the tomb temple of Ba Chieu, on Phan Dang Luu Street towards to Sai Gon bridge

7. Chợ Tân Định (Cho Tan Dinh), Hai Ba Trung Street, similar product with the following Cho Tan Binh, but more expensive.

Re the one near Calmette & sells vegetables, I think it must be the 2 cho below:

1. (8) Chợ Cầu Muối (Cho Cau Muoi), Nguyen Thai Hoc Street, wholesalers sell vegetables, onions, carrot, etc. (from Da Lat and middle of Viet Nam)

2. (9) Chợ Cải (Cho Cai), near Cho Lon, in Hau Giang Street, wholesalers sell cabbage, salad, scalion, etc. (from provinces in Mekong delta)

Each market is a chance for you to practice your negotiation skill (and Vietnamese language :) ) Wherever the location of markets are, the price will be automatically double or triple when vendors recognize you are foreigners. It is better to learn some Vietnamese words in purchasing, try to show up that you has been staying in Vietnam for long time, then sellers know they can not cheat you or sell with high price. That is the experience I collected and summarized here.

Hopefully this sharing is useful.

Wish you will buy things with good price in Viet Nam. Enjoy shopping in Cho!

Nga