Looking for somewhere to land

Hi,
I am in the process of looking for somewhere to land. Have a few more years in the states. Looking around Coronado or Boquette...I think...Wondering about activities, roads...safety.
Any information is very welcome.
Thanks!
Faye

Hello,

My husband and I have lived in Boquete for about 3 years and love it. When we made our first trip, we spent 2.5 weeks exploring Panama. When we arrived in Boquete, we said "this is it." We love it here. This is a very large community of Xpats and they are all very friendly. You can't go to town without someone saying, "Where ya from." That usually starts a new friendship. We too, looked at Coronado but found it way too hot for us. Not to mention that the upkeep in your home or condo is quite a bit due to the salt water corrosion. We have friends in Coronado and it is a lovely place, But like I said, very hot and humid for our liking. But if you don't mind hot and humid, and upkeep on your home, you will love Coronado.  The main roads here are just fine. Some of the back roads and side streets can get a little rough. The safety here is just like any other place in the U.S. use caution where you are not sure of the area. I also recommend living in a gated community. Just for a little more peace of mind.

For a 3rd world country, we feel this is the safest. We have NEVER had any issues. But use "due diligence." We are from the Pacific Northwest where we could sleep with our doors and windows open at night. Here we prefer not to. We built a lovely home in Boquete and now consider this our permanent home.

Health care here is great and premiums are about $135. a month (for 2.) Depending on age and condition of your health.  I pay $40. to get my teeth cleaned and about average $35. for blood work. Depending on what's needed for the blood work. Could be a little more could be less. I also recommend that if you decide to move here, have a complete physical before you leave the states and bring copies of all your medical records with you so if you do get sick, they can compare your records with their findings. My husband has had several back surgeries and I brought a copy of his last MRI and the Dr. here was glad I did as my husband was having some back issues here. He did another MRI here ($300.) and compared the two. He noted that nothing had changed from his last MRI.

I also tell everyone that they need to make sure they go through an attorney down here to due just about anything. (Home buying, Visas, tax exemptions etc.) Be very careful when choosing an attorney. They all don't have the same standard of care for their clients. If you decide to live here, I can recommend a attorney we use, she is very very good. Our first attorney was awful. Never followed through with anything. Hope I have answered some of your questions. If you have any private questions, you can send me a private question here on this site. I try to answer most of the questions on site, but sometimes, people have something private they wish to discuss. See FAQ at bottom of this page for instructions on sending private messages. Good Luck and see my previous posts on this page.

Thank you so much Seahawnk22! I think Boquette would be a better fit for me. I am widowed. Kids about out the door. I know I would need something to do., I will look into the FAQs and your previous posts.
Faye

Hi rifa01,

For a better communication with the other members, i created a new thread with your posts on the Panama forum. :)

Thank you,

Priscilla

Hello Faye,

welcome. I have two books published which may answer many of your questions. Panama? Why Panama? (2012) and Postcards from Panama (2014). Both are e-books or available in hard or soft cover, and not expensive.
Talk with lots of folks who live here still and some who have left if you can. You will find varying opinions, but overall, this is a very safe and friendly place to retire. There are many expats, and we have found our social life has tripled in activity since living in Pedasi. If you wish to volunteer, there is always a worthy cause to give you plenty to do.

Best of luck