Hospitals in Pune

Hi all,

Curious to know, whats you best and worst experience with Hospitals in Pune?

SMiling orchid

Overall, health care is pretty decent and affordable, but you really have to own your body - doctors may make assumptions that can be harmful, such as not asking lifestyle questions. A friend of mine was having "lady trouble" and the doctor prescribed birth control pills to regulate her problem. Fortunately, I know the drug and immediately recognized that her smoking could cause her problems. The doctor assumed she did not smoke because "nice ladies" don't smoke here.

One other interesting thing to note is that health insurance here requires you to be admitted and you must stay 24 hours for the insurance to kick in. I swear, every time I check in, it's like Hotel California - you can't check out. One time we had to escape and made a mad dash for the exit. We just squeaked through the door before the security guard could close it and jumped into a rickshaw just outside. They were making us wait for the insurance company to come to the hospital and CONFIRM we were there! Fugedaboudit.

You will have a far better nursing ratio, sometimes three or four nurses working on your case. You have to ask a lot of questions about what they're putting in you. The weirdest thing a nurse asked was to shave my privates when I was having local anesthesia and minor surgery on a broken wrist! I said "Heeeeeelllll NO!"

Sorry, I don't have any recommendations as what hospital are good or bad. You'll most likely be using a hospital close to you as well, unless you need specialized surgery or aftercare. Best advice is to stay well! :-)

Cheers,
Jeanne