Hospitals in Pokhara?

Hello everyone,
Which is a good hospital in Pokhara? Is there one at all comparable to European standards?
And how does it generally work for treatments and insurance?
I would be glad if you could help me with these questions.
Thank you very much

Hello chrisU.

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

Hope you will soon be helped!

Thank you,
Aurélie

Thank you Aurelie.
I hope so too as I still have so many questions. ;)
Christina

Hi Christina,

Im afraid there arn't really any hospitals that are comparable to European hospitals in Pokhara. The closest is probably the Manipal Hospital in Fulbari, Pokhara. Its a teaching hospital, with good provision of care, andf it's also a 'private' hospital. The British army based in Pokhara use this hospital for minor things (outpatient appointments etc), but they still prefer to airlift people to Thailand and other countries for operations etc. The hospital has an ED (although probably not like anything you've seen before!), CCU, ITU and all the standard medical and surgical specialities, as well as a lab. Teaching there is in English, so all doctors speak English, although that is not the case for the other staff there.
Treatments are cheap. For example, I had an appointment with and ENT surgeon, antibiotics and pain killers for the grand total of 600rps. A head CT is about 1000rps and this is a higher rate for tourists. You have to generally pay for things before hand (for example, if somebody is sick in ED, their family have to pay for IV fluids before they can have them), but it might be different if you are a tourist.
I'm sorry, I don;t know how it works with insurance, as i never needed to claim. I imagine you would need to pay yourself and then claim on insurance with receipts as proof.
If you have any other questions, I hope i can help.
Lisa

Excellent post, Lisa.

Chris, When you move here you should get a didi (house cleaner) and teach her good hygiene skills. Then if something happens that you need to be in the hospital she should come with clean bedding, a bucket and disinfectant. She should come to change the bedding and give your room a good scrubbing. Bring an assortment of flip flops and leave them at the door of your room. Do not allow anyone to come in with their own shoes on.

Health care is so cheap here I doubt you will ever reach $250 for the deductible. You should also bring some hydrogen peroxide and alcohol and maybe even some latex gloves. You can get all of these near any hospital in KTM at the medical supply stores. You can also get a kitchen timer in that kind of store. I looked for months before I found one there. Nurses don't always use gloves to draw blood, etc. hence the high rate of infection. But the doctors and labs are actually pretty good in Nepal.

If you can pre-schedule my first choice of hospitals would be Norvic in KTM because a good medical doctor in Bhaktapur suggested that one, but there are a handful of international hospitals that would do just fine. There is a lot of medical info in my book, Nepal: On a Budget.

Note to Americans: Do not waste your money on dental or preventative medical before you leave. You can find really cheap and good treatments here, in my book or on your own. You could save the price of your plane ticket with just a couple of dental visits alone. Nepal also has great alternative medical options, too.

Thank you for these informations and tips. I also had a look at the book already, nice tips in there as well.
Does anyone else have experience with private clinics in Pokhara?

hello
same here, in pokhara now, wanting to settle, an looking for advice on medical care. First choice for me is alternative medicine, so would really really welcome recommendation ! The issue is a pre-teen with some endocrinology imbalance. As backup would also appreciate recommendation on western MD for this age, to get some general blood work and so forth. Thanks much, Iris

I talked with allot of med students who worked/volunteered at the differing hospitals. Terrible conditions, poor admin. Etc. I would go somewhere else for something important, say, India.

Try apc
Hope this helps.

Thank you. That is a great tip. Will have a look at it. :)

Iam just suffering from a serious tooth problem (accident, three teeth broken). My Dentist from Kathmandu recommended Smile Care Pokhara. I went there and had a very good impression. The treatment Smile Care recommended I discussed with my kathmandu dentist and he fully agreed to it. So it seems to be not always necessary to undertake the long trip to kathmandu (7 hours by bus) or half an hour by plane, but there are yearly 4 to 7 plane crashes, because the small planes are not equipped with radar.Hope my info could help you a bit.

kasari  complan  garna  sakin6 bemari  ko  bharna  ko barema

Hello munal pokhrel,

Welcome to Expat.com!

Could you please stick to the English language in this English forum?

Thank you,
Pravin.

Hi Cris

If u want Erupian Standerd Hospital come to India its better than UK and any other company alongwith you can visit India`s sites

Why do you come to Nepal at all> We do not have insurances here, we have to pay ourself. We are a third world country with loadsheddings, means powercuts, if you want to be on the safe side you better stay at home.

Looking for help- currently in pokhara travelling but I was very sick and had to be left behind by my group. I'm currently at a hotel resting but I'm experiencing severe abdominal pain. I fear it's my appendix. Where is the best hospital to go get checked out?? It's getting worst

Thank you

Hi, go to Manipal Hospital, they are quite good and let at least check your condition. If there is time, take the next plane to Delhi and go to Apollo hospital. Hope this message helps

Moderated by Priscilla 8 years ago
Reason : No free ads here please

I am a  senior doctor in  Nepal from India . Any help, i shall be glad to do free for any one in Pokhara .

Hello Balbir,

Please note that this thread has been inactive since last year.

I would suggest that you get yourself registered in our Directory section ( found on the top green banner, 3rd menu option)

: Health in Nepal

Thank you,
Gavind.

hospitalinnepal.com