Anyone Coming to Live in Ethiopia?

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hello tominharar!

Your thread has been moved to Ethiopia forum for better visibility.

Do not hesitate to share your experience with us on the forum.

Thanks for your will to help other members.;)

Harmonie.

Well, that would be of a great help
I've been to Addis last Sep, and I'm still considering moving there, already started some connections with IT guys but I really couldn't find sharp info!
So, would u plz concentrate on IT job opportunities?

Best Regards

Don't know much about IT in Addis. Lots of IT people all over. Do know that many (B.Sc.) can not find jobs. But I can tell you about life in Addis and other major cities. Give me some specific questions so that I don't guess at what you might want to know.

Hi Tominharar,

Thank you very much to offer yourself to answering questions!
Let me introduce: My name is Imma and I'm Spanish. I have worked 3 years in a development NGO in Cambodia and now I would like to work in Ethiopia.

I'm thinking of coming to Ethiopia without having a job beforehand and to look for it once in the country. From your experience in the country I would like to know what do you think about the idea, I mean... whether you think it can be easier/difficult to find a job in this way? I'm questioning this because having the experience of Cambodia, even when you are in the country is not that easy because usually, at least in Cambodia, there are lots of expats looking for a job and the vacancies usually are for nationals or for internationals who can speak the local language...do you have an idea of how is it the situation in Ethiopia? I'm not really interested in working in Addis, I would prefer to be in a province.

Another question is whether you know how easy/difficult is to change a tourist visa (visa which I would enter the country) into a working visa (visa I would need in case I find a job)?

Thank you very much in advance

Imma

Hi my friend and I have just returned to England after having found a job in Addis.  We arrived there with only a tourist visa and they wouldnt let us exchange it for a business visa.  I am currently trying to find another job in Addis while also looking for work here in order to pay my airfare.  I am a TEFL teacher with 30 years experience of working with children, including disadvantaged and vulnerable children, for example running art, drama and dance workshops.  I also have experience working with adults, minority groups, physically and mentally disadvantaged, prisoners, single mothers etc.  I am looking for paid work but my main aim is to work with street children.  Maybe you could give me a few pointers.  I would be very grateful as I am determined to organise my return to Addis as well as I can.

Thanks.

Hello my friend is IT professional and he has 7 years exprience on it in addis ababa. so you can contact him [email protected]
thanks
solomon

tominharar wrote:

2012 Will Soon Be Here: If anyone is interested in living in Ethiopia, please let me know. I've lived here a few years now and I have a good sense of the country, the cities, costs, cultures, the really great places to live, places to visit and, importantly, the job opportunities.

Hi Tom

How did you find living in Harar?  Is the water shortage situation improved now?

Greetngs!  am a news reporter of 15 years living in the Bahamas.  I also produce radio, television, and print ADs; I produce documentaries, and I take photographs. I am a radio announcer. I am also a vegetarian cook and I love making useful things for the home - arts and crafts.  I intend to move to Ethiopia, tomiharar.  I would like to find work there prior to my coming.  Also, can you give me an idea of the price of purchasing a second hand vehicle and the cost of renting a home that is out of city but not too far?

Epress Felicity,
A great choice moving to Ethiopia you will be amazed the hospitality you gate as soon as you land Addis Ababa. Ethiopia recently moving a good direction especially in your experiences you can give so much the Media Radio and TV production it is booming industry but not so much talent so you can help so many things in the young media sector. Living expenses depend of which part of the country you want to intended to live like Addis things expensive you can look these website it can give you information how to rent houses ezega.com about the  car you can gate a cheaper car assembled in Ethiopia. Before you moved Ethiopia contact the nearest Ethiopian counsel or embassy to gate more information any information you need contact me have a nice day.

bless you Tafari!  thanks for your response.  How about the price of having the car assembled in Ethiopia?  I will check that website now for rentals!

I have gotten quite far, thanks to the guidance I received here.  I have bright visions for the future!

I plan to come in April, where is a good place in Bole to stay? what do you know about Atlas International hotel. what western food can you buy there, dose it cost a lot to buy? how do you get a prescription field there or can you bring your own there?

Empress,

Cars being assembled in Ethiopia are being sold in the range of Birr 250,000 to Birr 300,000 (USD 14.5K to USD 17.4K)

Cheers!

@ MReagan around  bole area you can gate many hotel like Atlas and many new hotels the price are cheep considring you are coming from Western country about the food how about Ethiopian food? you should test it one you hook up Ethiopian food you gone be addicted saying that you can gate many western food around Bole area the price as littl $20 to $10 depend of your baget prescription bring your own or go see the many privat doctors around addis very cheep but make sure you got your yallo fever vacicine befor you land in Africa best wish in Ethiopia.

Taferi i dont think the food price is like that, i mean 20 dollar that is exgirated not mor than 10 dollar. and regarding western foods it is plenty and hope u will also enjoy the testy ethiopina dishes

@Alem if you put the tip the drink and the coffe the end of the lunch you will be paid about 300 Birr that makes it about $20 dollar unless there is take away food store starting rescently in addis why i know these becouse i have been there many times lol.

Hi there
am comig to Ethiopia next month can some one tell the what is the duty tax for 52inch and up, for plasma or lcd TV?

Thinking hard about it, Tom.  Are there any nursing jobs available?  OR opportunities to participate in a hospital setting?  Thanks!

Hi there!!

Is there any national website where organisations post job vacancies in Ethiopia?

If there exist such a web could someone share it, please?

Imma

ethiojobs, employethiopia and ezega are the premiere local websites for jobs, but the jobs are mostly for locals. Mostly international NGOs post in relief web and alert net (I am quite sure you know this sites). I will encourage you to follow ENN Net website (http://www.en-net.org.uk/forum/11.aspx). Whe the need is urgent they advertise it there. For instance Goal has advertised a job there (http://www.en-net.org.uk/question/639.aspx). Wish you the best.

Imma3 wrote:

Hi there!!

Is there any national website where organisations post job vacancies in Ethiopia?

If there exist such a web could someone share it, please?

Imma

ethiojobs.com, ezega.com

Tom ..where do you think the job opportunities are ?

most expats work for international organisations and have got their job before arrival.

The paperwork is very difficult here (for locals as well ) and government appears to have a very sceptical view of private sector.

From my own and other peoples efforts i would be cautious on advising people to do business here ..government announce regulations overnight without an consultation and recently they are asking business and staff  to give "voluntary" contributions to infrastructure projects but nobody knows where the voluntary is.

People are nice,intresting country but crime rates are rising after 40% inflation in last 12 months which is really hurting the poor.

I have just spent 4 weeks in Addis, teaching Nonviolent Communication through host NGO "Support Street Children & Mothers".
What job opportunities are you aware of? I'd want to be teaching
Nonviolent Communication...
Your suggestions?

I would love to tell you that there are jobs for forenjis in Addis and in other parts of Ethiopia but I can't. The only way you can spend any real amount of time in the country is by coming with an NGO like the one who supported your recent 4-week teaching experience. Unless you are socially connected (as you know someone/an Ethiopian personally who can offer you a contract), it's really tough. I suggest that you go to ethiojobs.net. I also suggest that you look at US-based NGOs like IFESH. The US Peace Corps in Ethiopia is growing dramatically and it is expected to become the largest Peace Corps country again (as it was in the late sixties and early seventies.) For me to come over, I spent probably a hundred hours in front of my laptop searching and e-mailing. It paid off but it was a lot of hard work. I do wish you the best of luck. Addis is a great town if your have the money.

tominharar wrote:

I would love to tell you that there are jobs for forenjis in Addis and in other parts of Ethiopia but I can't. The only way you can spend any real amount of time in the country is by coming with an NGO like the one who supported your recent 4-week teaching experience. Unless you are socially connected (as you know someone/an Ethiopian personally who can offer you a contract), it's really tough. I suggest that you go to ethiojobs.net. I also suggest that you look at US-based NGOs like IFESH. The US Peace Corps in Ethiopia is growing dramatically and it is expected to become the largest Peace Corps country again (as it was in the late sixties and early seventies.) For me to come over, I spent probably a hundred hours in front of my laptop searching and e-mailing. It paid off but it was a lot of hard work. I do wish you the best of luck. Addis is a great town if your have the money.

Well said!!!I will not add or subtract.

Thank you everybody! I am so appreciating the community here! I will continue to explore.

Hi, do you want to work as network,database adminstrator,system analys,website develpe etc  what else i have Bsc degree of computer science from ethiopian known university.justfy you qustion ask me. I try to answer to you if i can.

If you want get job search like this there is many job vacancy.current vacancy ict ngo ethiopia. If you success contact me after!!

Hi Baharu,

Please note that this thread is dated 2011 ;)

Thank you

Maximilien
Expat-blog Team

Hello I'm going to live in Bahir Dar l'd like to have information about the cost to rent a little house for two people. Thank you very much! Luca