Best place to live in Ecuador...

mugtech wrote:
docputter wrote:

Wherever you go, from Bethlehem, USA to Bethlehem, Israel, you will find noise and you will find quiet.

For me the idea is to have a quiet neighborhood in which to live but be close enough to where the fun (noise) is."The sound of gunfire,off in the distance, I'm getting used to it now".  Cannot say that Life During Wartime makes it for me, Israel not quite like PA.

I'm just curious but where are you hearing gunfire in the distance?  I with MUGTECH, Life During Wartime does not makes it for me.  Which is why I am not retired in Kandahar.

No place in the Middle East is for Christians, including Israel.

I have a few questions if anyone could answer

In Salinas, are there local legit agencys that will care for/rent out a property while away? Most likely a condo.

In the off season how dead is Salinas exactly? Is it just a normal town or does it become a ghost town. Are the condos mainly empty?

Can anybody give their experience on Manta vs Salinas? What they liked or disliked about 1 or the other. Is the crime difference that big? What about earthquakes in Manta?

I was in the Military in the past and learned that I really disliked living in military towns in the USA. How is Salinas with the bases right here? Is the city full of soldiers? Im still under 30 so if I go to the bar is it going to be packed with soldiers half of the time?

I was looking to buy a condo in chile(love it there) but Salians has grabbed my attention so I need to check it out and see if I would prefer it or possibly manta.

Thanks for any help I can get.

mugtech wrote:

No place in the Middle East is for Christians, including Israel.

And you sir, win the award for the most ignorant comment of the thread. The Middle East is a big place, with a variety of cultures. Yes, there are places where being a Christian is all it takes to put yourself in danger. There are also places that are progressive and accepting of other cultures. There are always a few extreemists everywhere. Yes, you might get attacked for being a Christian in an Islamic country, just like Muslims (and Sikhs who are often mistaken for Muslims) are sometimes attacked in the USA and Europe.

I suggest you make an effort to spread knowlege and acceptance rather than ignorance.

jessekimmerling wrote:

I suggest you make an effort to spread knowlege and acceptance rather than ignorance.

You mean knowledge?  I accept your spelling of same.

mugtech wrote:
jessekimmerling wrote:

You mean knowledge?  I accept your spelling of same.

Lol. Yep. without spellcheck I'm lost in the wilderness. I set this laptop to Spanish, so it tells me everything in English is spelled wrong.

Sorry to speak so harshly, but your comment really touched a nerve. I spent a lot of time living and working with Afghans. There are a lot of amazing open minded wonderful people living in troubled parts of the world. It pisses me off when people write off whole parts of the world. Yes, there were a couple places I went in Afghanistan that were very dangerous for non-Muslims, but for the most part every place I travelled in the Islamic world (Kabul, Herat, UAE, Malaysia, Southern Thailand, Turkey) was no more dangerous than dealing with traffic in Ecuador. Generally, as long as you show respect for other people's cultures, they will show you, if not respect, at least tollerance.

Ecuador is blessed with no terrorism and practically no racial or cultural disharmony. But like many countries, there is poverty and crime out of desperation. Having travelled around Latin America I would say Ecuador has less poverty and crime than most other L.A. countries. The rate of unemployment is relatively low (not as bad as some European countries such as Spain, Portugal and Italy). You see very few beggars on the streets, and on the whole Ecuadorians are very friendly and accomodating. The cost of living in Ecuador is about a third or less compared to the cost of living in Western Europe.
Russell Eaton
www.deliveredonline.com

Yes there are legitimate companies that manage real estate but I won't put them here as it constitutes advertising (not me).
Salinas is not a ghost town during the off season but the population is greatly reduced, the number of cars decreases significantly and the town is relatively quiet.  Many of the condos are empty during the week but "life" returns during the weekend.  The houses are occupied by the more permanent residents.
Manta: I'm guessing that the crime rate per capita might be the same but I am not certain.  Manta is a big city (well, not so big) and Salinas is a small town.  Manta is a port city(major) with all that entails.  Some areas are not so safe and others are.  Same in Salinas.   More to buy and more places to buy it in Manta but Salinas has the best beaches.  Basically, are you more comfortable in a small town or in a big(ish) city? I visited Manta, met an expat while flying there and he gave me the tour. Live here, not there, shop here, not there and here is more expensive than there. 
While Salinas has a base, military presence is most noticeable when the patrols are assisting the regular police or when they patrol the beach to ensure thefts and muggings are not happening.  More military in the mall on leave rather than the bars, but maybe the discos.  I think most of the service people can reach home in a couple of hours, so they don't all do the town thing.  I've never felt their presence was overdone or overbearing.  I've also met many ex-military in the town.  The air base does not fly hundreds of sorties per day or per week, so again, hardly noticed.  Visiting the Chocloteria(sic) on the base is a must do. 
I think you need to visit these sites yourself.  Stay for a while and see if you like it.  Rent a condo for a bit and buy later. 
Good luck with your search.

Manta is the only place on the coast that major cruise lines stop, so I would imagine things are jumping when a ship is in port.

Absolutely Russell Eaton . Well written and spot on. It is always great to hear the words from truly well travelled expats. Boots on the ground teaches much more than Media articles, people's opinions and TV shows about a place.
I live here in Ecuador, have travelled in my life and can relate to everything you said. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Cheers.

I have to say that this entire thread has been one of the more informative threads I've ever found on any subject. Thanks to everyone for their contribution.

Does anybody else have any opinions on living in Manta vs Salinas?

MANTA: Humidity levels are much higher than Salinas. Rainfall is much higher than Salinas. Weather is 70-88F average. Infraestructure is about the same as Salinas, but with less consistency in the supply. Population  in Manta is 220.000. There is plenty of new high rises and an interesting amount of housing options, with prices always higher than in Salinas. The main beach, called Murcielago is a lot wider than Salinas. There is an International airport. There is a military base. There is a commercial port and a yatch club too. There is a nice port for international cruise ships. Manta is considered the capital of the tuna, due to tuna being the #1 source of commercial revenue. The tuna processing factories often make for tuna smell in the air, depending upon the direction of the ocean breeze. There is only one good quality hospital, which is private. There are smaller public clinics and medical offices. There is good internet connection in Manta proper. The beaches around Manta are large, wide and untouch, but also underdeveloped, with frecuent inconsistencies in power supply, and mostly dependant on tank trucks for water supply. Most have no consistant internet conection, and no cellphone reception in certain areas. Crime rates are a concern. There is plenty of shopping and restaurants to enjoy. There are few malls with theatres. There is incidence of earthquakes though history in the northern beaches, with aftershocks felt in Manta.

SALINAS: Outright arid weather year long. In the rain season it remains sunny most the day, with rain usually overnight. Salinas see lots of overcast days in July, August and September. Weather is 65-75F average with lows during the mentioned months. Population is 55.000. There is a combination of new and old high rises, mostly right by the ocean. Housing can be limited, especially during high season as it is Ecuador's #1 vacation destination. It has a brand new international airport, currently operating domestic flights. There is a military base. No commercial port. There are two yatch clubs in the Salinas area. There is almost non existent crime. There is a good but limited number of restaurants and shops. There are supermarkets and a mall with theatres. There is a variety of public and private hospitals that provide good quality care. The beaches around Salinas have more infraestructure than the ones around Manta, but are often smaller. Water and power supplies are provided with consistency. Internet conection is overall good and expanding. No risk or history of earthquakes.

Hope it helps some, though I strongly recommend to come visit on your own to get your own idea of both places.
Kind regards

Thanks for the reply. Everything I read makes Salinas sound better than Manta, for me personally.  What are the opinions on Punta Carnero? Before I ever knew anything about Salinas I remember a guy giving a speech talking up Punta Carnero and how it was the future. I wonder if this is true. From what I have read I would like the surf better but It is a little far for walking to restaurants as that part of town is on the other side of the peninsula in Salinas.

Please before making a conclusion, it is best to: a) ask someone who lives in Manta first, as my opinion could be biased, and b) come check it out for yourself.

There must be reasons why people would like Manta over Salinas. In my experience it was about the airport, as Salinas didnt have one that operated commercial flights and the nearest one was in Guayaquil, the largest city, 2 hours drive away from Salinas. That changed with the opening of the new Salinas airport. It brings direct flights from Quito (the capital) at a promotional price of USD 89 roundtrip. We now see more international visitors than before.

I personally visited both carefully back in the days and picked the Salinas aerea, however, not Salinas itself but La Libertad, a beach town next to Salinas, because it is more commercial and remains full of energy year long, while Salinas sees large crowds Nov-May to stay more quiet than I like it in the July-Nov gap.

Re Punta Carnero, it is almost the same in terms of visitor influx, though the beach is substantially larger. Punta Carnero have had a vision of development and design for a while now, but in the present it remains a residential area with mostly homes sitting on large lots, no shops or restaurants. The closest shopping center is the only one mall in the Peninsula, 5-10 minutes drive away from Punta Carnero. The airport is located at the same driving distance, in a different direction. Many large homes in the area have changed hands from Ecuadorians to foreigners in the last three years, and they like the peacefulness of the area. By far the best sunsets are seen in the Punta Carnero beach, as it is located in the western-most point of the Peninsula. The beach itself is said to be not swimmable, though people -including the foreigners that own property in Punta Carnero- go into the water with no problems during low tide. The hide tides make the waves perfect for surfing, so the place see local and international surfing competitions throughout the year.

Well, this is my 2 cents. Take my offer to show you what I talk about in the Salinas area. Take care!

Sorry to read bad things about Manta, it may be the only place on the coast I get to visit.

mugtech wrote:

Sorry to read bad things about Manta, it may be the only place on the coast I get to visit.

We were in Manta for almost two weeks during our stay in Ecuador. People were nice, no complaints there, but.....

Manta is a really rundown area. Whatever money that has moved in has built gated communities for the wealthy and pretty much hanged the rest of the town. Water is a problem. Public works (for the benefit of the actual public) are few, infrastructure is teetering on collapse, the sidewalks where they exist are barely passable.

It's clear to see in Manta that whatever money has been injected into the town has gone to:

The tuna processing interests
The cruise ship tourists
The gated foreign investor neighborhoods

Outside of that, Manta is an overgrown dusty third world village waiting for salvation. Terrible shame as the natural attributes are so very stunning.

After spending two weeks in Manta, I can say with absolute confidence, I would never live there.

We're considering Ibarra, but it's very hard to find any info online, presumably because few gringos live there (unlike nearby Cotacachi).  Can anyone help direct me to a website or discussion group that's devoted to Ibarra or the province of Imbabura? Thanks.

Hi! thanks for mentioning expat communities where you live... we re interested in visiting to set up our "plan". If it s not too much trouble, can u please turn us on to forums/groups that help expats figure out how to get organized there? we're in CA, and are planning to visit soon in order make sure we like the city enough to move there, and get better organized around that goal!

thank you so much!

catsonparade wrote:

Hi! thanks for mentioning expat communities where you live... we re interested in visiting to set up our "plan". If it s not too much trouble, can u please turn us on to forums/groups that help expats figure out how to get organized there? we're in CA, and are planning to visit soon in order make sure we like the city enough to move there, and get better organized around that goal!

Where is "there"?  What city are you planning on visiting?

hi, Docputter!

I tried to find the post of yours I was answering, but didnt succeed

What I recall is that  your post mentioned some expat group(s) and/or forum(s) that you could send interested expats/
future expats to, and I was interested in obtaining those contacts...

Salinas is one of two places we re considering (La Libertad is the other), so before our info-gathering trip, we wanted to do a little homework; set up a few connections so we could take someone to coffee and ask a few questions when we got there; and find out where a good place to stay would be-- for 7-10 days or so when we come. (we have two children, 4 and 8.)

thanks a lot!

Sofia

Fear not, my friend!
The best option, I humbly submit, is a trip to see for yourself.

Cuenca is probably one of the safest places I have ever been...just avoid wearing the bling and-or being out past midnight in a drunken stupor (just kidding about the drunk part) but this is true wherever you travel.

Re: golfing in Ecuador
I, too, am an avid golfer so I paid the $0.25 to take the 319 bus to Club de Tenis y Golf ouside Cuenca.
Because of the terrain (remember: you are in the mountains), The course is limited to 10 holes, Has beautiful country club feel with a terrific outdoor pool, 9 clay tennis courts.
When I asked the gerente (manager) about joining, I was told that the monthly cost is  (this is in 2013 mind you) $315 per month for as long as you wanted to be a member. Note that the average monthly salary for a tradesman is typically $300 to $400 from what I was able to glean. The T & G Club obviously caters to the upper class...
also note that you would not have voting rights as a monthly dues paying member, which a full blown member would have, but that was ok by me.

Hi,

Sorry for the confusion. There are a number of "forums" on Facebook that are really a like minded group, usually, that pass information back and forth.  When someone asks a question, they usually get a good number of replies.  For Salinas info, Ecuador Expats is one of the groups.  There are others that you can search for on Facebook. 

If you would like to meet when you get to Salinas, send me a message and my wife and I will be happy to sit down with you and your family and answer any questions you might have.  As for hotels in the area, let me know what you are looking for and I'll pass along some suggestions.

Ecuador Expats Two is a closed group that has more of a coastal bent, but good info.  You have to ask to join and the admin will ask you why.  Hint: "to sow hate and discontent" is not the right answer.  But worth a look see imho.

I am sorry to disagree with you, I live in Cumbaya for $400  a month in a nice apartment, there is also mercados where you can buy for the same prices you buy vegetables and fruits in other places in Ecuador,
There is also many little towns around Cumbaya such as Tumbaco, Pifo, Yaruqui (very close to the Airport) where you can rent places for modest prices.
There is also middle class and poor people in Cumbaya not just wealthy people. There are places where you can find lunch for $3.00, also very expensive restaurants, all depends what you can afford.
I am very happy here and believe me, anyone can afford to live in Cumbaya if you have the patience to look for a good deal.

The climate here is better than Quito, and I a

I thought this site provided a useful description of the Santa Elena beaches and beach communities:

http://ecuadorbeaches.org/beaches/santa … nas-beach/

Loved reading this great info, I was born and raised in manta and live in Texas but looking to retire in Ecuador still searching for a city..

Yes, I agree, Cumbaya is in many ways an ideal place to live. It is only a 20 minute drive to Quito, so Cumbaya is like an outer suburb of Quito, yet at lower altitude so the climate is great. There are regular buses from Cumbaya to Quito, so a car is not essential, and Cumbaya has two very large American-style shopping malls. I live in Quito but plan to move to Cumbaya soon.
Russell
deliveredonline.com

Has anyone considered Valley de los Chillos?  It is just as convenient and green.  It has a very large mall and you get to use the long distance type buses into Quito and it is only 30 minutes and very comfortable compared to the metro and city buses.  They have houses and apartments that are very similar to Cumbaya.

Chillos is an awesome option!

I hope you can help me? I would love to move to Ecuador but my S.S. after taxes is only $900 a month. I thought maybe it was possible to find like a roommate that would be willing to go half and half so I would have money left to enjoy myself in some way. Here in the States that does not seem to be happening. My credit is not good due to many medical bills and I hope this will not hurt me? I would like to rent a place for maybe a month to check it out. Do you have any suggestions? I am willing to work at something part time.             Thanks, Mark

markaleblanc wrote:

I hope you can help me? I would love to move to Ecuador but my S.S. after taxes is only $900 a month. I thought maybe it was possible to find like a roommate that would be willing to go half and half so I would have money left to enjoy myself in some way. Here in the States that does not seem to be happening. My credit is not good due to many medical bills and I hope this will not hurt me? I would like to rent a place for maybe a month to check it out. Do you have any suggestions? I am willing to work at something part time.             Thanks, Mark

There are a few expats in the Salinas area that may be willing to do this.  I will ask those I know.  What is your time frame for coming here and is Salinas on your list of places to live?

Hi, I suggest you consider a 6 month visit to Ecuador to see if you want to live here. You will certainly be able to share accommodation for about $100-$200 per month, and I have seen such ads.  The cost of living in Ecuador is in general about a third of the cost compared to the USA or Western Europe. You could even put a classified ad in this Expat.com or put a free ad here: http://www.mercadolibre.com.ec/
to find a shared apartment. In Ecuador.
Another good source for finding accommodation is national newspaper "El Comercio", either online or by physically buying the paper: http://www.inmuebles.elcomercio.com/
The spanish for 'apartment' is 'deprtamento' (not 'apartamento').
The spanish for real estate is confusing: it can be either 'inmuebles' or 'bienes raices'
Good luck,
Russell Eaton
www.deliveredonline.com

Hello everyone
My boyfriend and I have been thinking to move to Ecuador , but choosing the right city to live in has confused us.
I am an English teacher and my boyfriend has run different cafes and restaurants in our city. we are looking for a safe place to  live in, where we can also find a job.and should I add somewhere inexpensive.
and one more questions : what are the most wanted jobs and skills in Ecuador?
I would really appreciate if helped us
looking forward to hearing from you :)

Respectfully, might I suggest you are somewhat asking the "wrong" question. What lifestyle are you looking to achieve? I understand cost is one variable, but beyond that. As a whole, while some cities are obviously more expensive than others, Ecuador is significantly less expensive for most things than  the USA, Canada, Europe, etc.  So, the real issue becomes do you love sun and surf...rain and mountains...small town, big city or rural expanse?  Those kinds of things are what becomes important. Give us an idea of that and we will be better able to assist.

Hector G. Quintana
[email protected]

I agree with Hector. Being unfamiliar with Tehran, I can't make comparisons to the costs you are used to, but I can say that Ecuador is generally a fairly low-cost country.

Another factor to consider is that you need jobs; jobs and economic opportunities, in Ecuador as in most places in the world, are much more likely to be found in bigger cities than in smaller towns (that's not an absolute rule, but it's generally true). Here is a listing of the ten biggest cities in Ecuador -- I think it's pretty close to what I've seen elsewhere: http://www.geonames.org/EC/largest-citi … uador.html

(Note: The population estimates seem to be for the cities themselves, rather than the metro areas).

My guess is that these are the cities (and maybe a few others) where you will be most likely to find opportunities both in teaching and in restaurant work. Your next question, as Hector mentioned, is what sort of geography/climate you want -- the coast (e.g., Guayaquil and Manta) or the mountains (Quito and Cuenca). Then you can start narrowing down the list from there.

However it works out, best wishes.

Bob

Marthy54 wrote:

Anyone can afford to live in Cumbaya if you have the patience to look for a good deal....The climate here is better than Quito

Cumbaya climate better than Quito, you say.  You state this as fact but it is strictly a matter of opinion.

I have visited the Cumbaya-Tumbaco area and found it was 15 degrees warmer, meaning too hot, compared to Quito on the same day(s).  For my taste the year-round high temps of 65-75 F. in the capital are ideal.

Of course, if you want to swim outdoors in an unheated pool on a sunny day, Cumbaya would be preferable.

cccmedia in Quito

docputter wrote:

Wherever you go, from Bethlehem, USA to Bethlehem, Israel, you will find noise and you will find quiet.

True, true, true.  Having lived in the little town of Bethlehem (Pennsylvania) from 2010-2012, and now here in Quito (Centro Historico), I actually find it quieter and more peaceful here.

That's because I was in a Bethlehem apartment near a busy intersection where enormous trucks continually did noisy stop-starts.

I have learned that you have to choose carefully wherever you are and check noise levels at various times of day before choosing.  Even remote rural places in Ecuador can be plagued with noisy roosters and perros ladrando.

You stated first that you are looking for a safe place to live. If safety is important you can cross out all the big cities starting with Guayaquil.
You can teach English and find restaurant work all through the country in safer smaller towns like Bahia de Caraquez. Montanita, Canoa, Puerto Viejo, Banos.

I would have to quibble a bit with some advice on this thread.  Big cities, yes, for the most part, are always more crime prone, at least in absolute terms, if not always on a per capita basis (Reference point: East St. Louis, MO - USA).  However, first we have to define "big city". Loja is a pretty "big city" by Ecuador standards, with a very low per capita crime rate.  Quito is the capitol and the second largest city, yet it has a lower per capita crime rate than Esmeraldas City. I think if you pick the right neighborhood to live in and practice common sense safety practices, Quito is quite safe and liveable. Certainly Loja would be a good place. Don't eliminate all "big cities" on the broad brushstroke of "more crime", because some remote places offer their own distinct "criminal dangers", such as non-existent police response times.

Hector G. Quintana
[email protected]