Is 1500 USD enough to live in Jakarta

Is 1500 USD enough to live in Jakarta. This is all inclusive i.e. I have to pay rent, utilities food, travel, leisure etc
Life style : above average

US$1500 doesn't seem like very much if you want an above average life style but I think it is possible if you spend carefully. Probably you need to rent a room instead of an apartment.

Try www.numbeo.com for cost of living this will give you an idea of monthly costs

Try looking through the threads that ask is $1500 enough to live in Jakarta.

sayyed.suboor wrote:

Is 1500 USD enough to live in Jakarta. This is all inclusive i.e. I have to pay rent, utilities food, travel, leisure etc
Life style : above average

US$1,500 / day  :(  or US$1,500 / month  :o  ?

Tried Numbeo however the reviews tell me that the prices way to old to be relied upon and hence i seek advice from all you lving in Indonnesia

My blog Mylifejakarta.Blogspot.com has some information which will help. Search it for cost of living.

Probably US$1500 is enough to live on. That's about Rp18 million and even some western expats are earning less than that. Probably you will not be able to afford a decent car so you could perhaps lease a motorbike to get around.

Yeah 30million is average to lives in jakarta.

Not sure what is average, but I think English teachers are some of the lowest paid western expats anywhere. And I think they mostly earn less than 30 million but survive without any problems. I think you just need to moderate your standard of living and spending and you can live on a lot less than you think.

Sorry ok im married with a wife so thats my average in jakata. You might be right for a single expat with a min USD 1.5k .

Yep taking care of a family is something else. I wouldn't want to have a salary of $1500 and have to pay accommodation and living costs as well as have spending money and support a family. However, when desperate anything is possible.

Replying to the 1st poster, its insane to get paid to work and stay in jarkata. Its not enough and remember the extra cost of medical insurance as well. Hospitals here are not cheap. I hope your employer pays you medical care while ure here.

Why is it insane? 1500USD is a lot here and can go a long way. It is up to the person how they spend it. Don't forget it is way higher than the average salary.

Actually, I always thought that English teachers earn that kind of salary, about US$1500 - 2000. And if you compare to some English teachers salaries in other countries such as China I think they are actually paid far less, sometimes as little as US1,000. But there is always a way to survive. When your budget is low then you just need to compromise and if you work hard you should be able to improve your salary and situation.

Teachers here are paid less in some places and more in others. You are right, there is always a way to survive. What people forget here that most of the salary expats posted here earn is disposable. as in no bills etc and with rent paid up front for the duration of the stay then there is little in the way of expense.
Food is expensive here and unless you go to markets, or buy off the streets it can eat into the pocket quickly.

My salary is not the biggest and I never came here for the money, and with 2 kids, a wife, and all that that brings, I can still save 20% of my salary a month easily and not want for anything.

Leeman, how is 30 million the average salary needed to live on in Jakarta? Do explain.

Rental or Monthly Payment for a decent place to stay USD 450 included utilities. A condor with 2 rooms  Food and misc approx USD 10 bucks a day @ USD 300 a mos. Set aside some Entertaiment plus cell phones charges for one active lifestyle  USD250. Emergency savings for health care per mos USD 200. Grand total approx USD 1200. Its tough for a expat if he/she get paid USD1500 to work minus the expenses

This is my rough calculation for a guy whom is single to survive in jkt. I haven touch the air ticket onces a year thingy to fly back for xmas holidays unless the company boss paying.

For me with a family thats min 2× that amount.

leeman wrote:

Rental or Monthly Payment for a decent place to stay USD 450 included utilities. A condor with 2 rooms  Food and misc approx USD 10 bucks a day @ USD 300 a mos. Set aside some Entertaiment plus cell phones charges for one active lifestyle  USD250. Emergency savings for health care per mos USD 200. Grand total approx USD 1200. Its tough for a expat if he/she get paid USD1500 to work minus the expenses

This is my rough calculation for a guy whom is single to survive in jkt. I haven touch the air ticket onces a year thingy to fly back for xmas holidays unless the company boss paying.

For me with a family thats min 2× that amount.

The house price is probably about right in Jakarta but will drop to 50% of that in outer areas such as Bintaro or BSD..
If I eat in, I often find myself spending almost nothing on food as I tend to eat rice at home but, a meal from a street stall/cafe will probably cost a maximum of $2 per person.