Odepus Complex

How far is Odepus Complex true in real life?

Well, many claim a lot a politicians engage in that activity, but I'm too subtle to suggest such a thing.
As a note, I can say that in several languages, including Urdu and Malaysian.
I even had a T shirt that said, "Tony Blair, Puk........" :D.

What's your view athamiaa.......because till toady people don't want to listen the fact Sigmund Freud discovered ....intellectuals divide the era of religion into before Freud and after Freud....  and good thing is that after freud no religion came....

Regards,
Anil

To my mind Freud was a psycho who should have been committed to an asylum at an early age.
The idea that a boy wants to sleep with his mother is for most people abhorrent and says more about Freud's perverted thinking than anything.

If we leave that intention of Freud ....and think about the other aspects of his discovery ....

On a lighter note... There is an old joke - Jewish-American, I think - about an old woman who was asked what she thought about Freud's proposed Oedipus Complex. She dismissed it with the words, "Oedipus Shmoedipus! As long as a boy loves his mother."

LOL I would go as far as to say, Freud Schmeud.  :D

El_Jost wrote:

To my mind Freud was a psycho who should have been committed to an asylum at an early age.
The idea that a boy wants to sleep with his mother is for most people abhorrent and says more about Freud's perverted thinking than anything.

Hello El, :)

Perhaps you do not know anything about Coprophilia, Necrophilia  and Zoophilia.

For the Oedipus Complex check basic information at http://www.reference.com/browse/oedipus+complex?s=t

athamiaa wrote:

How far is Odepus Complex true in real life?

It goes from antiquity until today and will continue in the future.
The good and the bad of human mind go together in different persons.

Buy an introductory book on pathology to read how deviant sexual behaviour could be ...  :(

"Anyone fool enough to go to a psychiatrist needs to have his head examined."

I forget who wrote this verbal contradiction but it holds a certain truth...

It could be taken as a son's love to his mother, and a daughter's love to her father. Spiritual love, of course, without any other physical connotations.

I did find this nice little quip...

" The difference between a neurotic, a psychotic, and a psychiatrist. The neurotic builds castles in the sky, the psychotic lives in them and the psychiatrist collects the rent."

El_Jost wrote:

I did find this nice little quip...

" The difference between a neurotic, a psychotic, and a psychiatrist. The neurotic builds castles in the sky, the psychotic lives in them and the psychiatrist collects the rent."

:D

athamiaa wrote:

It could be taken as a son's love to his mother, and a daughter's love to her father. Spiritual love, of course, without any other physical connotations.

Hi there, :)

You seem to have warmed up to this forum.  Great.  :top:

What made you open such topic?  :/

John C. wrote:
athamiaa wrote:

Hi there, :)

You seem to have warmed up to this forum.  Great.  :top:

What made you open such topic?  :/

So that illiterates such as me, get an opportunity to learn new stuff  :top:

Hey Farhaz this is the wisdom you have..... :)

Farhaz wrote:

...  So that illiterates such as me, get an opportunity to learn new stuff  :top:

:o  Farhaz,  :o

You are in great danger ...  :o

If you do not know what the Oedipus Complex is you may have done it unknowingly already ...  :o
Same for Coprophilia, Necrophilia  and Zoophilia.  :mad:

Now Farhaz might research it ............... :D

Human stupidity has no boundaries! ...  :blink:
And the human brain is more used automatically to coordinate bodily functions than to actually think deeply (edit added) and independently.

We Earthians are not different now in 2014 than Neanderthals 500,000 years ago except our numbers are greater at the present.  The thinking is the same ...  :nothappy:  We do not kill one another with stones anymore, now we kill somebody's dreams, hopes and expectations by not returning his phone call ...

If Oedipus Complex (with the Electra Complex variant) existed in Greek mythology, imagine what the people in distant antiquity were doing ...

Just like there is no smoke without fire, there is no story without real facts somewhere.

A lot of truths are hidden in fancy ancient stories and one has to read between the lines more than the actual lines ...

The Oedipus complex together with its variant, the Electra Complex, can be interpreted as in-breeding.  It exists in animals, and so is Coprophilia.
Remember your puppy eating pooh?  That's a form of coprophilia although no sexual arouse is intended.

Necrophilia  and Zoophilia belong only to man obviously representing a by-product of brain development.

Many great artists had been sexual deviants where their mental condition only played the role of sparking the ideas and story which followed.  Their troubled life (which is normal for somebody sick) was different than those who had a normal life, and it is also true that it does not mean that if a normal person becomes a sexual deviant he will automatically turn into a great artist.

However, mental degradation is not as destructive to include necrophilia-zoophilia yet.  There are no known cases of necro-zoophiliacs.

Expats are not spared of such human tragedies and there could be some expats who - compromised in the community where they lived - choose to start a new life elsewhere.
Imagine one of them applying for a job at your company.  :o

John C. wrote:

If Oedipus Complex existed in Greek mythology, imagine what the people in distant antiquity were doing ..

It's not entirely correct to suggest that the Oedipus complex existed in Greek mythology.

Since, as the name suggests mythology is about MYTHS and the story about Oedipus is exactly that, only a STORY and not about truths.
In reality Oedipus as a person did not EXIST. And in any case, in the story about Oedipus when he killed his father he did not know it was his father, AND when he married and slept with his mother he did not know it was his mother. One should be clear the tragedy of Oedipus is about myth and drama.

The Oedipus complex on the other hand is a relatively recent construct by Sigmund Freud. Freud had read the tragedy about Oedipus and merely used that name for his theorising.
The Oedipus complex is a psychoanalytic theory that a child wants to sexually possess the parent of the opposite sex. Please note it is a THEORY which has been largely rejected in modern psychoanalysis. Please note it is also NOT about parental love as some have suggested but exclusively about sexually love.

Freud mistakenly thought that since he had a sexual fetish about his mother then that which he experienced must be the norm for everyone. The only thing that one might consider successful about the Oedipus complex is that he, and others of his ilk, made a lot of money from it. Funnily enough it was in America, a country and a people that Freud hated, that he achieved his success.

El_Jost wrote:
John C. wrote:

If Oedipus Complex existed in Greek mythology, imagine what the people in distant antiquity were doing ..

It's not entirely correct to suggest that the Oedipus complex existed in Greek mythology.

Since, as the name suggests mythology is about MYTHS and the story about Oedipus is exactly that, only a STORY and not about truths.
In reality Oedipus as a person did not EXIST. And in any case, in the story about Oedipus when he killed his father he did not know it was his father, AND when he married and slept with his mother he did not know it was his mother. One should be clear the tragedy of Oedipus is about myth and drama.

The Oedipus complex on the other hand is a relatively recent construct by Sigmund Freud. Freud had read the tragedy about Oedipus and merely used that name for his theorising.
The Oedipus complex is a psychoanalytic theory that a child wants to sexually possess the parent of the opposite sex. Please note it is a THEORY which has been largely rejected in modern psychoanalysis. Please note it is also NOT about parental love as some have suggested but exclusively about sexually love.

Freud mistakenly thought that since he had a sexual fetish about his mother then that which he experienced must be the norm for everyone. The only thing that one might consider successful about the Oedipus complex is that he, and others of his ilk, made a lot of money from it. Funnily enough it was in America, a country and a people that Freud hated, that he achieved his success.

Hello Elwin, :)

1). The OC exists for thousands of years.  It's called 'incest'.
Even if we believe we descended from Adam and Eve, if you think well, everybody down the line was the result of incest.
People do it all the time.
It is illegal in many countries.

2). The story of OC has been written 2,000 ago as a metaphor, a myth.  Unfortunately, it does not describe the ills of incest  or the monsters coming out of it.

3). Yes, you are correct: love is one thing and sexual attraction and practice is another thing: a deviation.

4). Freud popular in USA?
Well everything is possible in USA  :D faster and in the open more than in any other place.
People travel to horse farms in Montana specially to satisfy their zoophiliac impulses.  Many die during the sexual act.
Read their stories on the Net.

Human mind is a never-ending source of stupidity more often and larger than abstinence and intelligence. This is how it works on Earth.

John C. wrote:
Farhaz wrote:

...  So that illiterates such as me, get an opportunity to learn new stuff  :top:

If you do not know what the Oedipus Complex is you may have done it unknowingly already ...  :o

I have done so many things unknowingly ... and am still alive and well. So I do not think it is such a big problem.

And thank you for putting a few more terms.

PS: have you heard of Vibagophobia? Or perhaps Harakomania?

aryavrat wrote:

Now Farhaz might research it ............... :D

You bet, I will!  :cool:

El_Jost wrote:

Yes, you are correct: OC is a theory, but it's based on facts, not imagination.
Many theories came and went by and they represented the best of an individual in a specific society at a particular time in human progress or "progress".

I feel we should thank those before us who came up with one explanation or another, and - if we are any good - we should come up with better explanations (read 'theories').

The guy before us had nobody to relate to and learn from, now we can relate to his versions of facts plus the cases which occurred from his time until our times.

Farhaz wrote:
John C. wrote:
Farhaz wrote:

I have done so many things unknowingly ... and am still alive and well. So I do not think it is such a big problem.

And thank you for putting a few more terms.

PS: have you heard of Vibagophobia? Or perhaps Harakomania?

Hi Farhaz, :)

There are many lists of phobias and manias on the Internet.
Honestly, I have not heard about the two you mentioned.

You may hear of them eventually, if you think and look deep. For now, all I can say is, these are for me to know and for you to find out.  :D

But I do appreciate the information provided and discussion by everyone on this thread. Has certainly enriched my knowledge.  :top:

This is the reason even if i can't comment on any topic but still don't miss to read out the comments by others..........

John C. wrote:

Hello Elwin, :)

1). The OC exists for thousands of years.  It's called 'incest'.
Even if we believe we descended from Adam and Eve, if you think well, everybody down the line was the result of incest.
People do it all the time.
It is illegal in many countries.

2). The story of OC has been written 2,000 ago as a metaphor, a myth.  Unfortunately, it does not describe the ills of incest  or the monsters coming out of it.

3). Yes, you are correct: love is one thing and sexual attraction and practice is another thing: a deviation.

4). Freud popular in USA?
Well everything is possible in USA  :D faster and in the open more than in any other place.
People travel to horse farms in Montana specially to satisfy their zoophiliac impulses.  Many die during the sexual act.
Read their stories on the Net.

Human mind is a never-ending source of stupidity more often and larger than abstinence and intelligence. This is how it works on Earth.

Expanding the subject away from the initial point to include other things only confuses the issue.
And though the Oedipus complex involves performing incest it is incorrect to say that one is the same as the other.
But I see no point in arguing it though.
For me Freud was a sexual pervert who made his name, and a ton of money, by proposing and spreading a theory that has since been largely disproved in professional circles. Basta!

El_Jost wrote:

Expanding the subject away from the initial point to include other things only confuses the issue.
And though the Oedipus complex involves performing incest it is incorrect to say that one is the same as the other.
But I see no point in arguing it though.
For me Freud was a sexual pervert who made his name, and a ton of money, by proposing and spreading a theory that has since been largely disproved in professional circles. Basta!

Hi Elwin, :)

One last note on this topic.

1). Imagine being young from a good family and as a student of medicine you learn about human depravation at the age of 22 …
Nothing exciting, but you must face the reality of the lessons based on the realities of reality …

2). More dangerous than just practicing the Oedipus (or Electra) Complex is to actually get the counterpart pregnant and bring babies into this life.  Such children have (big) deficiencies and usually die before the age of 20.

Is it worth the high price of tending to an abnormal child doomed to die young one has to pay for years for performing deviant sexual acts?

A famous case of Oedipus Complex was Austria's Empress Marie Antoinette who has been accused of it in court (among other infractions) and executed by guillotine in 1793.

3). Of all pathological sexual behaviors, the worst one is zoophilia.  Pray God you never meet a zoophiliac who is a totally worthless person.  Chances are you may have met one already without knowing it …

Yes, I agree with you, this topic is not something to dwell on.
Sexual pathological disorders are wrong and occur at a young age when the youngster - subconsciously - wants to discover his identity.  Why does the counterpart - the adult - permit it though?
Mother Nature allows it for many people to discover who they are in jail or at the poor house maybe because at the mad house nobody can discover (or re-discover) himself.

I am not in the same field with Freud's but I know a thing or two about his work.
Let's not forget Elwin that all great men have been controversial because they fought the norms of their times and also, that no matter how rich a man may become there are people who hate him instead of getting down to work to get richer than him ...
The 'sour grapes' syndrome ...  :D

I wonder how a world without pathology would be ...  :/

Basta here too.  :par:

Out of 112 method of meditations to achieve enlightened ,there is one method called Sambhog se Samadhi...means from sex to enlightment.(Sex with consciousness,where one is not left only the act sex left)..........so knowing the depth of sex is not wrong but if you are stick to it will cause you to become mad....if Freud could have gone beyond this theory,might be he too would be one of them,who got enlightment....

Indeed, if if was a fifth then....
I agree that possibly a certain method of meditation might help a sane person avoid madness and achieve a higher level of enlightenment.
But would it help a person already mad achieve sanity?
With Freud I think that is the pertinent question. :)

El_Jost wrote:

I agree that possibly a certain method of meditation might help a sane person avoid madness and achieve a higher level of enlightenment.

:lol: You Elwin hit the nail on the head.  :par:

1). Many people jog, diet, read how-to books, do yoga and Tai Chi, join self-help groups, meditate, go to church, donate to the poor, etc. thinking they will get smart and maybe earn more dollars.

The reality is that for nullities nothing works.
They meditate not on greatness, but on their misery because misery is the only thing they know.
Their whole life seem to be like a turtle upside down pedalling the air ...

Mad people might achieve normality through medical treatments but they cannot achieve exceptionality.  At the other end, a 'sane' person could become mad much easier and faster than achieve exceptionality.
Mad people turn famous for their madness, not for their exceptional qualities and achievements.

This is how Mother Nature keeps the balance between great men and the rest in check.

2). Freud was the first to explain certain issues.  But so were those who claimed Earth is flat.
They proved to be sincerely concerned about Earth, which is OK, but their thinking was insufficient, which is not OK.

Freud must be thanked for his pioneer work and if someone wants to throw Freud's models in the trash bin, he does not have to criticise him.  All he has to do is to come up with better theories than him.
Please do! ...  ;)

El_Jost wrote:

And in any case, in the story about Oedipus when he killed his father he did not know it was his father, AND when he married and slept with his mother he did not know it was his mother. One should be clear the tragedy of Oedipus is about myth and drama.

It is about life's drama.
How many times do people do something only to actually kill something else, and how many times do people try to do something nice only to end up worse than they started?

That's the drama of little people who CANNOT become great men, nor is it necessary.
Amen.   :)

(Edited 'time' for 'times')

Little people never know what they are doing, only the great man knows.

This is the bare, cool fact.

What else could be used to expose the drama other than the Oedipus Complex, the myth, an allegory, a poem.
And who else can write about it better if not an artist?  :cool:

El_Jost wrote:

The vision of meditation in the world has wrongly understand by the people............meditation is not a concentration,meditation means one has totaly give up everything and nothing has left within him/her,i am not talking about wealth or money,i am talking about our emotions like anger,greed,sex,love ,attachment everything....when one can reach to a stage where no thoughts left and then whatever he/she do , it became just an act .....might be i may not be the right person to explain this properly because nothing i know...know means my personal experience ,

Regards,
Anil

aryavrat wrote:
El_Jost wrote:

The vision of meditation in the world has wrongly understand by the people............meditation is not a concentration,meditation means one has totaly give up everything and nothing has left within him/her,i am not talking about wealth or money,i am talking about our emotions like anger,greed,sex,love ,attachment everything....when one can reach to a stage where no thoughts left and then whatever he/she do , it became just an act .....might be i may not be the right person to explain this properly because nothing i know...know means my personal experience ,

Regards,
Anil

You are referring to a 'cleansing' process.
That's great for stressed employers.  :D

For instance Ray Dalio ( http://www.forbes.com/profile/ray-dalio/ ) who manages US$150B meditates five times a week.  If he does it, so should all the other Earthians even if their net worth is far away from Ray's US$14B+ stash of cash ...  :top:

But of what should the unemployed, underemployeds and the employees cleanse their head other than their gross sheer stupidity and things like Oedipus Complex?  :o

(Edit added: for great men, meditation could be one way to maintain focus on something good: their work.  For poor people meditation helps them forget about their inabilities and somehow gives them unjustified hope that they will be OK one day.  For them, that day never comes, meditation or not).

Again i can sorry if i am wrong ,but what i am telling is not exactly cleansing process....one cannot emagine till he/she is not into it....because the first time one is going to raise a question who am i and he will not get any answer but once he knows the fact the question dropped....how it comes and how it is related to the topic of this thread...wondering...
Sex is the only energy which we throw always outwards....but it has a more power than a nueclear ....to bring inner cautiousness and know one self ....normally man lives like machine ...everything he do in a machinal form...once you know your senses and you go beyond your senses means now your senses are not controlling you....then the thoughts are no more and oneself is free from all thoughts....good , bad...everything...
Might be not a subjest to disciuss but whatever i was having knowledge on it i expressed through these words.....
But these are not the final words , Meditation is beyond this ...i am unable to express in words....

aryavrat wrote:

Again i can sorry if i am wrong ,but what i am telling is not exactly cleansing process....one cannot emagine till he/she is not into it....because the first time one is going to raise a question who am i and he will not get any answer but once he knows the fact the question dropped....how it comes and how it is related to the topic of this thread...wondering...
Sex is the only energy which we throw always outwards....but it has a more power than a nueclear ....to bring inner cautiousness and know one self ....normally man lives like machine ...everything he do in a machinal form...once you know your senses and you go beyond your senses means now your senses are not controlling you....then the thoughts are no more and oneself is free from all thoughts....good , bad...everything...
Might be not a subjest to disciuss but whatever i was having knowledge on it i expressed through these words.....
But these are not the final words , Meditation is beyond this ...i am unable to express in words....

1). Yes Anil you are right: man lives like a machine.  Poor men live like a broken machine (the perfect Oedipus complex), rich men live like a luxury machine: engine starts at the first turn of the key.  :top:

2). Do you know anybody who become a great man hiding in the woods, meditations, yoga other than the gurus?   :o

3). If you are unable to express what you try to say in words, then maybe you should take up painting or sculpture classes.  People believe what they see, not what they read from wannabe poets.   ;)

Yes Sir there are many cases in India who got enlightenment from meditation but for that it is not necessary to go jungle or hide oneself...within this very world one can be staying,doing all works ,earning money ,staying with family and becoming alone is the best way....

Why i said i am unable to express is right now because  i have not reached that level to say something but still i have said and which is not  good ,its borrowed knowledge ,its not from my experience....

Regards,
Anil

Find useful info to succeed in your expat project

OR