New members of the Panama forum, introduce yourself here

Hi all,

Newbie on the Panama forum? Don't know how to start?

This thread is for you ;)

We invite you to introduce yourself on this topic, to share with us your expat story if you are already living in the country, or to tell us more on your expat projects in Panama if you are planning to move there.

It will enable us to help you better but above all to wish you a warm welcome.

Welcome on board!

Hi All - I moved here about three weeks ago for at least the next 6 months. I'm in David and looking for people to meet - preferable people who know their way around and speak Spanish so I can learn my way around and increase my Spanish skills.

Tracee

Hola!
I am new to the forum. I am 45, single and female. I am trying to talk myself into early retirement in Panama. My Spanish is very little but I am learning more all the time by traveling to Spanish speaking areas for vacations - I am not fluent but can manage to communicate with Spanish speaking people... I do intend to study more as I go, as I love the language.
Being on this site is part of the extensive reseach I have been doing on Panama. I have only spent 2 weeks there in December of 2012 and explored the areas between Panama City and Penonome, but I am now focusing on the Las Tablas area as a retirement option. I was looking for an affordable, safe, warm, convienient, rural-ish and friendly area where I could retire earlier than I could here in Canada and Panama seems like a good choice for a variety of reasons. I guess my biggest reservation in making the leap is doing it as a single person (although I am comfortably single in Canada and in my travels). My timeline to do this is in the fall of 2014 or later and I intend to rent for the first 6 months and see how it feels.
I am particularly interested in the experiences of single people doing this.

Hello T Mendy
My name is Gilbert Paquet I have a house on the peninsula about 20 minutes from Puerto Armuelles. Let me know If you like to visit the area, or if you like sailing I got my boat here on the cost. If you like to know about me check my FB page Gilbert Paquet Santa Barbara California.

i am Ming, i am a Filipino working in Doha Qatar. My Canadian employers will be moving to Panama and so am I. That is the reason why i joined this forum. I want to know more about living in Panama.

Hello all,
My name is Joseph and I am currently in the U.S. military. I will be retiring in 7 years and my wife and I will be moving to Panama (she is a citizen born and raised). I've visited Panama many times and my wife still has family and friends there we visit with each trip. I joined this site to get an expat point of view on living in Panama, i.e. jobs, best cities to live in, etc. Would love to hear your thoughts and opinions.

Hi Everyone!
I'm Sammi and my Hubby is Alex and we're looking into moving to Panama from California, USA (hopefully) in Sept./Oct. of 2014. We've become a bit blurry eyed from all the internet research re. a move like this (must step away from the computer!).
We're interested in a quiet, secluded area at a high elevation (cooler temp. year round). Both of us are lovers of peacefulness and not fans of city life. Lifestyle is very simple and don't expect to need much at all in the way of entertainment as we don't really go for that now in Cali.
Hubby will be a retired psychotherapist (he can converse in Spanish...I'm clueless) and I'll be retiring from working with adults that have traumatic brain injuries.
There have been a couple of ads for small homes that we liked the looks of. We'd definitely want a very long term rental that is furnished. There are so many ads online but it's hard to know whom to trust. Due to the nature of our work, we can't hop on down to check out places ahead of time (yes...that makes it more difficult indeed!!). Our current home is a tiny cottage (approx. 450 square feet) so we're not at all palatial types are would be uncomfortable in a McMansion :)

We love reading the posts here...it really helps a lot! Soooo much to learn! It's great to be a part of this community :)

Sammi

Hello SammiC
You would probably love Boquete. Not too hot and you can sleep at night. Make sure that you rent a place that is safe. That is very important. Maybe a small home in a gated community. If you go up into the hills to live, safety may be an issue. Please do your homework. There are a lot of XPats living in Boquete and you can get by with little or no Spanish. But of course you should try and learn some. Once retired you may have time to take a Spanish class in our little community. We have some great restaurants and little local cafes here. Also, if you are a coffee drinker, some of the best in the world grow right here. My husband and I have lived here for 3 years and love the area and people. We have great medical and the town of David is just a 35 minute drive from here. We did our due diligence and researched for 2 years before we made our first trip. We were here for about 20 days our first visit and saw most of Panama. As soon as we arrived in Boquete, we said "this is for us."  So we bought a piece of property and built a home. Our kids were a little surprised, but accepted the move, and our Grandkids come down in the summer. We now feel it's our turn at life after raising our family of 3 college educated children. For once we can say, "It's about US now." Good luck in your research and be cautious. If I can answer your questions and help, just let me know. I check this blog a couple times a week.

Regards

Thank-you so much, Seahawks22, for your very thoughtful reply! It's so reassuring to read that you're in love with Boquete.

One of the places we're interested in is on a two acre piece of land (three little homes on it). The owner is a Canadian woman and her ad has plots of pics. that look fantastic. The place is completely furnished, private and under $600.00 per month. Of course we'd love to rent from someone who is referred to us but that's not much help when we know absolutely no one in Panama. We'd really love to find a place to be our forever home rather than moving around.

My hubby looooves coffee (not I) so he's delighted at the prospect of having some of the world's best coffee right in his back yard :)

I grew up in Hawaii and (from what I've seen) Boquete looks so much like my home...it very exciting for me!

We both appreciate the help and info. you've given. This move will be a big change for us and anything that can ease the way is truly welcome!!

Warm regards,

Sammi

Hello Sister SammiC
My family is Hawaiian.  We would be happy to talk to you and your family. Just ask, and we will try to answer. My family is from Kona on the big island. Let me know what you need.

Aloha,
Dar

Aloha, Sister Dar!

How wonderful to hear from you! It made my eyes tear up to feel the Aloha spirit once again :)

Kona is so beautiful...I'm from the country side of Oahu. Which (as you prob. know) means rubba slippas for dressing  up (otherwise kama'a'ole is best),Pidgin English, plate lunch (two scoops rice with gravy on da top) and tons of slack key guitar (Gabby no ka oi!!) I'm a Kama'aina with a son who has lots of Hawaiian in him. I miss the food so much but I really miss the flowers (pikake, pakalana, and awapuhi), the Aloha spirit and the land itself.

Thank-you so much for your kokua. Right now, we're trying to figure out what we need to do to get a visa. Depending on what we read, it's either not too difficult or it will make our heads explode :) Also looking for a place to rent long term. There's so much to learn and we hate to bug people with questions but it feels like the best way to learn...from those who've done it.

Sending you big hugs!

Sammi

Aloha again,

I must tell you that sticky rice here can not find, but we can do spam. My Brother-in-law was Hawaiian and my 4 nephews are Hawaiian. Have many Hawaiian style Nieces and Nephews  over in Waipahu, Nanakuli and Pearl City. Miss plate lunches and custard pies and manapua  :sosad:

I have the name of a attorney here that we used for our Pensionado Visa and she is VERY good. Not real expensive either. And she follows up with you on a regular basis. She will answer any questions that you may have in an email. Send me a private message and I can give you info. Not sure what all they like us to say on this forum.

Aloha

Aloha!

Thank-you so much. Oh...sticky rice...yum. Spam..yum :)
Manapua, that's soooo ono ;)

I have no idea of how to email you privately. Please let me know and I'll happily do so!

Mahalo

Sammi

SammiC

Go to the bottom of the page under FAQ. it will tell you

Aloha :D

Hello,

Mt wife are planning a trip later this year as an exploratory expedition. We are looking for a winter haven to exscape to  yearly. We will fly into PTY and plan on renting a motor vehicle. Any suggestions as to an itinerary?
We plan on two weeks initially so we'll need lodging  for 14 days and of course travel time back to PTY.
Any advice and precautions would be greatly appreciated.

When you rent a car, make sure you take the rental agencies liability. I know that when you use your credit card to rent, they tell you that your credit card will cover you. That's ok for collision, but you need Panama's liability. The reason is if you get into an accident and you hurt someone. You can not leave the country until their medical expenses are paid. Your credit card company can take several months to pay for liability.

If you are driving to Boquete, watch your speed. The police look for any reason to pull you over. Take your time. I would not drive in downtown Panama City, very hectic. I did it once, NEVER AGAIN. Cabs are cheap. On our first trip to Panama we stay at a B&B for 3 days, then rented a car and drove up the Pan American Highway so we could see the country. Great trip, nice road. We stopped along the way and stayed a night at a hotel on the beach. If you drive straight through to Boquete, it will take about 6.5 hours (with stops)

If you have not made your reservations, you might like to look at:   http://www.pequenoparaiso.net/index.html
We have stayed with them many times and it was very reasonable. The breakfast's were to die for. Anita is a great cook and Richard is very helpful with any questions you might have regarding Panama. He speaks 4 languages. His first being English. He will pick you up at the airport. Tell them Mike and Darlene recommended them. If you have any questions, you can also send me a private message on this website. See FAQ at the bottom of the page and it will tell you how to do it.

Have fun, and enjoy your first trip.

hi .........!
i am ready to any time .please tell me .
thank you so much ......
great work.
regard,
badar uddin
chairman,
szab foundation.

hello ming, please save my number 66706933 filipino also just 2 weeks here in balboa needs filipino friends also.

Hi !! I am not an expat yet, I am currently living in the USA, Tacoma, Wa. I might want to move to Panama ?? Born in Spokane, Washington, educated at Pacific Lutheran University in Tacoma, Wa, B.A. in education and art, currently international flight attendant for major U.S. based airline since 1980. Looking for a great place to retire in 10 years or so.

Hello,

We too are from the Pacific NW. Monroe/Woodinville. You mentioned retirement in about 10 years. A lot can change in 10 years. What it is today, may not be what it is in 10 years. We live in a town called Boquete. You might want to do a little research about our little community. We have been here almost 3 years and love it. You may want to research the benefits for Expats in Panama. Again, things may change in 10 years. If you have any particular questions, please feel free to ask. Welcome.

....Thank you, I will.  Am currently trying to book a "relocation tour"  (to go Jan, 2015)through the following site. Panamarelocationtours.com Any other suggestions would be most helpful.

Forget re-locator tours. I have never done one but have talked to many who have. What are they charging you? If you need some personal tips on traveling around Panama, I would be happy to help a fellow Washingtonian. I could help you with a itinerary for around Panama. But do not post your itinerary anywhere. Also, I have met with several people traveling to Panama. We live in Boquete and have been here for 3 years, but have been traveling down here for about 7 years. Those tour groups, will only show you the good things. You need to experience Panama (All aspects) before you make your final decision. I hope this helps just a little. If you are set on a tour group, good luck with that as well.

Hi all, I've lived in Panama for the past 25 years.  Have seen lots of changes and probably know bits and pieces that might be of interest to a few.  Have lived the past 16 years in Gamboa where all three of my children were born and raised.  Have currently had to relocate to the Republic of Miami for a short period of time (two years at least) and therefore have two fantastic homes in Gamboa that need to be rented.  Gamboa is the birding mecca of the world.  It is NOT located next to the beach but both coasts are an easy 1 hour drive away.  We are a unique community as the last surviving intact township of the Panama Canal Company.  If you are interested, I've listed my house for rent on this blog and I will be happy to give any bits of wisdom that I've accumulated over the years.  Best to you all.  Chimene

Hi, my name is Vicky and I'm a primary school teacher in the UK.  I've judt started researching the idea of moving to Panama next summer. I'm looking for any advice on applying for teaching jobs either tefl or primary teaching in an international school and what the best way to get a job would be.
Thanks in advance

Hello Hello everyone living at Panama !!! this is Ludovic from France,  living in New Caledonia since 4 years, befor that 4 years in australia, I would like to come to Panama in the next 3 or 4 months, I would apreciate any advice to help me thru my journey to go to Panama. Is it easy to get a work permit ? visa ? ...  I was thinking to come with a tourist visa and soon as I arrive to apply for an other visa to stay, Is it possible ? could you please let me know for the easiest way or should I get married  Lol :)  I wish to all of you the very best luck in your adventures !!!

My name is Pantelis.

I have been living in panama for a year now. I have roots in Panama and can help anyone who is wanting to move here and is looking for property. I can also help you with any questions you may have about living here.

I am 32 years old. I am a Greek Canadian living in Panama. I speak 4 languages: English,Greek,French and Spanish.

The reason i started doing this as a business was because had it not been for the people i know here in panama transitioning to a new environment is not always easy. Especially if you are like me and do not speak the native language here. I saw this as an opportunity to help other like me.
I have studied the market here for a while now and can help you find what you are looking for at the price you are willing to pay. No need to worry ill make sure you are not getting the short end of the stick.

If you have any questions or would like further information you can contact me personally throught email at [email protected]

Hi ludovic My name is Pantelis I ve been living in Panama for the past year and i have deep roots here, I have family that has been living here for over 20 years. I can provide you and help you with anything you need. From finding a home to getting a job or starting a company. I also have lawyers to help with anything you may need. If you have questions feel free to contact me by email at [email protected] i speak english french greek and spanish,

Visited Boquete Jan 22-Feb 13 2014; loved it. Plan to buy ticket about July 5, catch bus from Panama to there, contact a realtor for 30 day SF home lease and learn more. Suggestions, pls. I'm widower, 69, live in Las Vegas, NV, Japanese ancestory (from Hawaii). thx very much. aloha, [email protected]

Aloha, Dar,
I'm Mel Ozeki, formerly from Hilo, Live in las vegas, nv now. pls contact me at [email protected] to get info. Would like to move to Boquete for a month to see if I live it. Was there late Jan for 3 weeks; loved it. Contact by email for now because don't know how to retrieve msgs on this blog. aloha and mahalo,mel ozeki

Hi Pantelis,

thank you very much for your help, I sent to you an email, did you get it ?
Best regards

hi how are you , just saw your comment, and actually after 8 years of being in Panama i started to know my way hahah any how las tablas is connected to main road goes al the way up to pedasi, and many fench hotels and nice locationis, to see and visit, i know a lawyer in the chitre area near by and he was in business with canadian community searching for homes, and this could be your way to find out more..

take care...

hi how are you , actually yes is an easy task

you need a good honest lawyer to give you the aid and that should be done as soon as you touch ground to, save time..

also, there was a change to immigration law 2 years ago to help the process..

take care.....

I sent to you an email I am still waiting for your answer !!!

Hi all my name is Bill. I presently reside in New Jersey with my lovely bride and my 4 legged best friend (small poodle 12 years old). My wife and I recently visited Panama found the country to be absolutely beautiful and the people that we met incredibly friendly and helpful. We are active soon to become retirees that enjoy life, quite times, good food, the beach and travel. At the moment we are interested in revisiting Las Tablas to explore the possibility of making it our home base in our quest for a new home. Up to know our research shows Las Tablas to be a quiet town that from time to time goes in to party mode and then returns to it's peaceful way of life. Any tips regarding Panama are welcomed and appreciated. Best wishes to all and happy to be part of this blog

I own an American franchise which I can set-up in Panama City without any additional charges and I don't have to pay any royalties.  Effectively a free franchise for a shop known in the US as Cookies In Bloom.  They are not registered in Panama and since I have everything needed except the oven and dough roller (which are less than $8K, I would like to share this knowledge and expertise with a Panamanian resident to avoid most of the foreigner business requirements. A "free" franchise and I just want a minority ownership (25%) so where is there a partner for me there.  No gimmicks or hidden agenda.  I'm a Texan who is retired and sick of the crap here. Interested, email me [email protected].

hello Vicky,
There is a brand new school, called kings college that is growing fast and all teachers are british.
There are other schools, you can do your research on the internet. I will suggest that you do contact these schools before buying your ticket. Be bold and ask for the salary range.
Inflation in Panama is ramping and life is getting difficult to get by with small salaries.  Do not read impossible.. just have to be clear on rent expenses and other basics.
Good luck,
ML

clarabill wrote:

Hi all my name is Bill. I presently reside in New Jersey with my lovely bride and my 4 legged best friend (small poodle 12 years old). My wife and I recently visited Panama found the country to be absolutely beautiful and the people that we met incredibly friendly and helpful. We are active soon to become retirees that enjoy life, quite times, good food, the beach and travel. At the moment we are interested in revisiting Las Tablas to explore the possibility of making it our home base in our quest for a new home. Up to know our research shows Las Tablas to be a quiet town that from time to time goes in to party mode and then returns to it's peaceful way of life. Any tips regarding Panama are welcomed and appreciated. Best wishes to all and happy to be part of this blog

"If my dreams could all come true, retirement would be in a little cottage somewhere by the sea"
Author Unknown

Hi everyone,
I have seen several doubts about Panama and about moving here. I am a Panamanian Lawyer and would love to give you some general information I think it would be useful for you. First of all there is now a much expedite and easy way to obtain a Permanent Residence with the right of obtaining a Panamanian ID and Work Permit if you need it, the Residency is provided in approx. 3 months, and you only need a bank account and a corporation (in case you do not have a job offer), besides the police records. Actually there is no need no to purchase any property and the costs do not reach the US$5,000.00, including corporation, visa and work permit. You also have the option of a Retiree Visa, that do not need much of an investment either.

As for the taxes, we have a couple of mechanisms that are used worldwide for this matters. You have first the corporations, that can be used to do business offshore and you do not have to pay any taxes in Panama and the Foundations, that are used to protect you properties and monies, no one can sue you and go after the properties you have under the Foundation (stated by law). Both figures maintain the owner under anonymity.

The areas to live will vary according to your interest, the advantage is that we have something for everyone, beaches, mountains and the city with good medical services, shops, buildings, etc.There are lots of options our beautiful country can offer  and if you have any other doubts please let me know and I will be happy to answer.

One advice is shop around first, evaluate costs and try to have a trusted local person who can guide you step by step, many for being a foreigner you can end up paying a bit more for things and you need to make sure you are proceeding in a trusted field.

Janice Becerra
[email protected]

Hi everyone,
I moved to Panama from Toronto at the end of November and hope to make it my permanent home.
I chose Panama City as I enjoy city life versus the beaches or mountains.
Would like to know if there are any events or monthly  :D meetings conducted in Panama City where newcomers can rub shoulders?

Great question grarryg.  I would also love to know if there are any business or new comer events that are held regular?

Hello Everyone

Hello,
My wife and I are looking at several places to "retire" to and panama is on the top of our list.  We will be looking to visit the first part of 2015. We are interested in learning more about this great country.  We are also interested in meeting up with local businesses, attorneys, etc.. as we are wanting to look at potentially starting a business when we move.  I have ran several technology businesses including a wireless ISP, as well as, running a business networking group.  I currently am pursing my PhD in business administration (as I would eventually love to teach when I finally retire)and work for a large fortune 50 financial company as the cloud development team lead.  I would also love to learn about the universities and potential for teaching part or full time.

Thank You,
Jeff

Closed