Seeking Help in deciding on moving to Lagos from Mumbai, India

Dear friends,

This is Abhishek from Mumbai, India. professionally, I am decently placed and currently working in mid management level.

I recently got a job offer from company named "African Industries" based in Lagos Nigeria. Seeking following information which can help me in better valuing the job offer.

Reputation of the Firm: In your view how is overall reputation of the firm. How you heard about it or do you know anyone working for the company, can you please pass on the contact details so that i can connect.

Salary: They have offered me $ 4,000 per month which has two parts. First, which will be deposited in my NRE account in India and other part would for personal spending at Lagos. Both parts will be tax free. Out of this , amount which i need for personal expense in totally up to me to decide and the balance amount will be deposited in my NRE account.

Accommodation, maid, electricity, water, cooking, cleaning, Car + driver, Medical, 1 month paid leave with return tickets will be also be provided apart from above mentioned salary.

Does this offer ($4,000 per month) looks fine to you? How much should it be in your general idea? Do you know anyone who is from similar background as me and how much he/she is earning?

Also can you please advice, on an average how much would be enough for my personal expense at Lagos. I have been told that, around $500 would be enough (i am unmarried). I personally think it is less.

Impact on career: How is experience of working in Nigeria fares in terms of professional value. Will it command premium if i decide to go back to India after some time or if i try to move to some other country?

Last but not the least, your over all view on general security and safety stuff and life style changes.

Many thanks in Advance.

Warm Regards,

$4,000 is roughly 500,000 Naira. It should be enough for a single man. As long as you set your priority straight.

Regards career growth, It depends on the company; If it is a well established Nigerian company like Dangote, NNPC and so on, it would be of great benefit if you want to move to another country.

When it comes to safety, just ensure your employer gets your accommodation around VI, Lekki, Ikoyi, Magodo GRA and its environs and you are good.

Best of luck!

Dharmu Lalwani wrote:

African Industries People come n go like Mumbai Railway Station. Stay in India. Its not adviceable to join this company.

Could you please offer some more information as to why this company is no good so an informed decision can be made about joining them.

Its ok to move on proposed salary.  Use your own discretion to join.  Check your motivation , if your benefits are better than what you are making in India .. its fair enough as  you will move ahead in life .  I decided to come here 10 years back just to see the place, know the culture and make some bucks.  You will find 50,000 Indian families here  and of course 50,000 people can not be fool working and staying out here . Cheers !!

Dear Abhi,

No need to worried about anything just keep ur mind relax just focus on ur ur salary package and focus on ur savings else everthing is fine  here. No doubt this country is under devlopment but no worried just take some precaution here nothing will happn I just came on 03-04-2014 and same doubt was in my mind but here everything is fine

So, be relax and come and let's met here

Ajay

Dear All

I am working in Bangalore and got an oppurtunity to move to lagos for an another bangalore based software company to handle sales for nigeria and ghana.I am not able to make my mind whether to take this opportunity as i am concerned of safety and security .

Please advise me on this .

Regards

Anirudh