Newbie looking for some information

Hello ,

I'm a 24 year old college graduate from Turkey.Currently living and working in İstanbul.Last week I had a job offer from a construction company and the project is located in Arbil.I was wondering if I can get some information , feedback    ( security issues , health care , social life etc. )  from the people currently living and working there ?

The company which I will be working for is called STFA.Does anyone know anything about the location of this company within the city ?

Also , is it common to run into people who can speak and understand Turkish , if so how common ? If not, how common is English ?

Thank you very much for your answers beforehand. :)

Hey,

Erbil is ok in terms of security. You can go out and a lot of locals do it every day to parks, bazar, etc. For single women it's harder, as you can still find a lot of creeps, but for a man it's ok.
Health care is tricky, you need to know where to go to get good service, your company should provide you those kind of information, if not you can ask around and you will find the answer. I cannot help too much in this topic as I didn't use it yet (I'm here over one year) :)
Social life... that depends on what are you looking for :) Polish idea of social life is very different than Kurdish and I guess you have your own ideas ;) But you can find everything here. Typical nightlife with bars in Ankawa, malls, parks, tea shops in city center. A lot of things is changing  every month and usually it's changing for better.

English is very common, among taxi drivers not so much, but you will learn useful phrases how to explain where are you going and how to negotiate price, you don't need more :) From social point of view... you have a lot of expats here and many of them use english at work, so after work with friends too. I know a lot of turkish people here, so I guess it shouldn't be that hard to find them ;)

Selam...Güvenlikle ilgili kesinlikle bir sıkıntı yok ben ailemle birlikte yaklaşık 1,5 senedir buradayım . Sosyal hayat konusunda çok eğlenceli bir yer olduğunu söyleyemem ancak burası da gelişmekte olan bir yer devamlı yeni yerler açılıyor ancak İstanbul gibi büyük bir şehirden geliyorsan hemen adapte olmak pek kolay değil.
Türkçe konuşan insanlara rastlamak mümkün İngilizce'den daha fazla . Türklere karşı genelde sıcakkanlılar.
Şimdiden hayırlı olsun

Hi cacamra > can you please write in English in this English speaking forum so that everyone can understand? Thank you.