Racism

Gordon Barlow wrote:
mas fred wrote:

Anyone convicted of any crime involving racism/bigotry should be sentenced to a year living and working with his target group.

A bit rough on the target group, Fred!

Not really.
After a while, he'd be forced to admit they're just people, as everyone else is.
Racism  and other forms of bigoted stupidity works on stereotypes.
Once you realise people within a group are diverse, stereotypes die.

Anyone who indicates racism against another person is who that is inferior because when you feel confident about ones self you dare not have the feeling to poise yourself above other person forcibly through destructive words or through physical act .
A real genuine person don't believe in racism because racism is act of evil.

Hi,

Racism or we can say racial discrimination happens everywhere in the world. There's no one who can argue that. Of course, white races are always be on the top and people who came from poor countries are always be at the bottom.

Just imagine the difference between an American guy & an Asian guy. How do you think they are treated in the government institutions, in schools, in hospitals, in works, in public works, etc.? Well, I'm sure all the expats are really aware of the big difference.

Maybe you belong to the higher level and you never experienced the feelings of being discriminated. Try to think or experience the nature of being a victim of racial discrimination and you will feel how cruel is the world.

In this world, there's no such thing as EQUAL.

I'm a Filipino and sad to say that even in our own place, we are facing racism problem against us. If you are a foreigner (specially white skins), you will be treated like president of a certain country. I'm serious. You can ask other Filipinos.

Supposed, a case happened in the Philippines between a Filipino and a White guy. What do you think will always happened. The court always make decision in favor of the whites. I'm serious. You can ask other Filipinos.

In any Philippine Institutions, hospitals, governments, schools and any public areas in Philippines, foreigners are always treated like the president.

you are so right. we are ourselves not united. we should be united and start to respect our own race first.

Exactly, that's the problem in my place. There's always been a competition instead of helping each other.

mas fred wrote:
Gordon Barlow wrote:
mas fred wrote:

Anyone convicted of any crime involving racism/bigotry should be sentenced to a year living and working with his target group.

A bit rough on the target group, Fred!

Not really.
After a while, he'd be forced to admit they're just people, as everyone else is.
Racism  and other forms of bigoted stupidity works on stereotypes.
Once you realise people within a group are diverse, stereotypes die.

In my country a crime is sentenced harder if it is also a racist crime - that is, if the cause of the crime has a racist background.

Unfortunatly the laws themselves is racist because the racist laws only sentance in one direction.
If a Swedish guy gets in a fight with a immigrant from another country and there had been racist remarks etc the Swedish guy will get a harder assault sentence.
But if a example a Somalian immigrant assault a Swedish guy he will just get the normal sentance as just if only locals in my country can be racist.

magnus wrote:

Unfortunatly the laws themselves is racist because the racist laws only sentance in one direction.
If a Swedish guy gets in a fight with a immigrant from another country and there had been racist remarks etc the Swedish guy will get a harder assault sentence. But if a example a Somalian immigrant assault a Swedish guy he will just get the normal sentance as just if only locals in my country can be racist.

Yes, anti-racist laws have never made much sense to me. Why not anti-religious laws and anti-foreigner laws and anti-red-headed-left-handers laws? Those would be just as silly.

We all (on this thread) agree that racism is a nasty thing, but there are plenty of other attitudes that are just as nasty. As I posted here a week or so ago: "The innocent victims of drones in Yemen and Pakistan, for instance: are they being killed because they're racially different from the bombers [drone-pilots], or because they're foreigners?" What does it matter? A crime is a crime, never mind what the motive.

why Japanese exclude foreigners from using their services ? are they Racists ?

Karimah wrote:

why Japanese exclude foreigners from using their services ? are they Racists ?

I think not so much racist as being insular. This would stem from many years ago when Japan was a closed country and no one foreign was allowed to enter.
This was done to preserve the Japanese way of life.

I can't remember if I posted it or not, but I am posting it again just to make sure: I am not racist, I am a racer against time competing to exceed myself.  :D

I can't SEE why people are racists. I don't notice colour or tongue or culture as a disadvantage.
I think it's all ignorance, or whatever has been handed down from parents....taught or learned in schools maybe......As I don't understand why the white man thinks he is above any other race, or for that matter, why any skin colour thinks he/she is better......I can't get into the depth of this.
I liked the quote from the guy I am just answering to, I think, mas fred....."Racism is a hobby for uneducated fools....:)  " I totally agree

Diving the world into First, Second and Third was the core of racism and government ignorance about providing proper education is the hindrance in eradicating this social taboo. My European friend, before meeting me thought, all Asians were barbarian.

Furthermore, People are so ignorant and jealous that they find it rather impossible to accept the change in socio-economic change of third world who will sooner or later catch up with the developed world and this failure to accept the fact had led in further hype in racism and hatred.

The distinction made above which are the true cause of racism should be abolished. We are the people of one World. I don't know who created three world in one world.

any one who instigate racism is him or herself inferior cos when you feel confident on yourself you there not discriminate against God loving people

Ginger3 wrote:

I can't SEE why people are racists.

Well, I can, Ginger. Racism is just an extension of tribalism/nationalism/patriotism. "WE are the best, and THEY are not as good." If we allow ourselves to look down on people of other nationalities, why don't we allow ourselves to look down on other races or colours or religions? Nobody on this thread has answered that question yet. Nationalism has to die before racism will die.

Here in Croatia also have some Racist act slightly. In a city like Zagreb and Dalmatija is ok when you are a tourist :)

This act of racist happen to irregular immigrant and minority living around some football fanatic supporters.

So ask from the expat where will it be nice for you to live.

And never mind, its nice living here. enjoy your stay if you are coming to live here.

Indeed London is a great place to be where you can interact with people of different races without a feel of racism.
Racism is a state of mind of the weak because we all are human being and we all share same features biologically and physically .
Love is a natural feeling which should be shared among everyone being it black, white ,tan, yellow etc.

I'm hugely interested in this topic. Until I was about 11 my primary school was only white. A few Indian and black kids stared joining then but I do not remember feeling any sort of racism towards them, we were just all like oh new kids. Then apartheid ended, I went to high school and suddenly I was a minority! I think in primary school our teachers saw what was coming so tolerance was encouraged from the beginning maybe, but in high school, most of the black kids were attending a "white" school for the first time so they were far more aware of the political situation than us naive white kids. So high school was a lot of turmoil. I got older, I studied South African literature and I realized what the black kids had known all along. So then I went through this period of guilt and feeling like I wasn't entitled to my existence. I wasn't brought up to be racist. I have come to the conclusion that most white people weren't racist, they were just looking out for themselves hence apartheid living such a long life. I also wonder if the situation were reversed, if most black people would have acted the same? I don't know. I think governments abuse their people, regardless of the race of the current government. They use race as a card to get what they want. But the people allow it. The ruling race didn't stand up together for equal rights then and the same is true now. In those days it was to keep the majority without power. Now days it seems to be to punish the minority race and give only a few of the lucky (and connected) majority race all they want. I often spoke to my black friends about it. They used to tell me I'm not like other white people, but I don't think that's true. I think the races just haven't had enough time to interact and see that hey, you know what? You aren't so different! And it's weird the misconceptions that can happen when races are separated. One of my black friends told me as a kid she and her sisters thought that white people didn't need to use the toilet! This was because white and black people had separate toilets. (can you believe that was even a real thing??? and even separate beaches and eating places, it blows your mind!) I didn't notice as a kid, I grew up in a town that had an Indian majority, I grew up listening to the prayers from the mosque everyday (I'm embarrassed to admit I thought they were singing, I didn't even know it was the call to pray. I thought they were just happy and liked to do it), my dad worked for a telecommunications company and we often met the black people he was in charge of, I didn't realize they lived a life of such inequality. They were always so happy to see us and my dad seemed proud to introduce us to them. Point is I think for most white kids of my generation we were in the middle of everything yet unaware of what it all meant. So we are now the ones who have mostly left because we don't feel we belong.  But then, when you see political people like Julius Malema toting signs that say "the honeymoon is over for whites" 18 years after apartheid had ended, can you blame us? If this was the honeymoon phase, I don't want to even contemplate what might be next! I'm not saying an atrocity like apartheid should be forgotten but for how long exactly should the people be punished? This is the kind of long lasting damage that racism in a country can have. Inevitably EVERYBODY suffers. Some of my black friends back home still have days without running water or electricity. Only difference now is that they have to worry about somebody climbing in through the window and raping them before helping themselves to their belongings. And don't think I'm just being an expat with sour grapes, I've been held up twice at gunpoint and I've known people who have been murdered of both races. So I have been hugely affected by the racial issue. Racial issues are detrimental to everybody involved and I can only hope that one day the world will realize that there isn't and never has been a place for racism.

You know Hailey that perception still exists. I had an argument with a black woman once who was trying to make me cower because I was white so I told her to stop being racist and she promptly told me "black people can't be racist"! My black friend who was with me laughed even. That's what it's currently like in SA. Any argument quickly turns to race (even when race is completely irrelevant which it frequently is). I've also heard a white person say "Oscar Pistorius will be found guilty because he's white." Everybody's so caught up in it they miss the point of the actual topic! (If you don't know Oscar is a famous South African double amputee runner, he shot and killed his girlfriend through a locked bathroom door, he's on trial at the moment because he says he thought it was an intruder he shot...If he's found guilty it will be because he is guilty! Race has nothing to do with it) On the racial stereotypes of Africa, I have an Arabic Algerian friend, we've both been asked why we aren't black haha. 
I have found that Chinese colleagues are less likely to ask questions from superiors. But maybe it's because they have a better sense of self preservation than I have  ;)

Hi everyone,

I will tell you about my small experience being lived in France then Japan.
I used to study in France for about 1 year and half, and racism was so obvious, I felt I am not welcome at all. In my second year master my class was divided on 2 parts after some months of study, French people and others, in the others group, there were various nationalities including some French people, with whom I had a great relation. After that I realized that I will never be able to stay this country even if I speak the language and I have my degree in one of the best universities in France, so I decided to come to japan where I got a job after some months of stay, which wasn't the case in France, I searched for about 7 months but without results. Now I am working in japanese company and my japanese is so bad. Till now, I haven't seen any sign of racism in this, is true that people stare at you in the subway because you are different which is very normal for me, and even though I don't speak the language well but I am surviving with any problem, in the company my colleagues speak with me in English even though their English in not excellent by they do effort and they don't care at if I am not doing any effort in speaking their language. I have many japanese friends which wasn't the case in France, and even if their culture is so different from mine but I didn't face much problems with that, they know you are foreigners and their culture is so difficult to understand, so if you do mistakes as foreigner it is not big problem for them.

In SA I've been told by many people that if you go to France rather speak Afrikaans as French people hate the English! I don't know if this is true, but from your experience it sounds like they might be more racist then? But that would be generalizing I know. I had a French friend growing up and her and her family were awesome people. So are you multilingual? My Algerian friend speaks Arabic, teaches in French and speaks English to us. It's pretty amazing! I'm bilingual and even that gets confusing, never mind having three languages in your head! At least Chinese people like English, but I was chastised by a doctor for coming here without knowing any Chinese  :unsure

But you know, as bad as racism is, at least it isn't xenophobia. We have that back home. People are killed for being Zimbabwean/Nigerian/Mozambican sometimes. Many African nationalities flee to SA and try start their own lives but some locals feel threatened and resort to violence.

Hello,

I will try to answer your questions.
I cannot say all French are the same, or all people are the same, I used to have very good friends, and my French boss was like a friend for me. For languages, I am almost like your algerian friend except I am getting one more language, japanese.
I know about SA, you have been in war since a long time, and people are killed for that, it is pity, your country is amazing and it is the richest country in Africa, I would definitely like to visit it one day.

A lot of people base their opinions on a people or race or religion on extremely few samples. In my personal observation - based on reading online comments on news items - racial prejudice is far less common than religious. One reads plenty of "all Muslims are scum" comments, but not so many "all blacks are scum". (Strangely, for all the allegations about anti-Semitism, I find relatively very few "all Jews are scum" comments.) Any comments on these comments?

HaileyinHongKong wrote:
Gordon Barlow wrote:

(Strangely, for all the allegations about anti-Semitism, I find relatively very few "all Jews are scum" comments.)

You're either going to sites where people are very polite - which is nice, but rare - or you're ignoring all the hate out there.  Antisemitism is alive and well online.

Maybe I have some sort of self-protection mechanism that leads me to avoid such sites! I find plenty of anti-Israel sentiment, and a fair amount of anti-rich-Jewish-bankers sentiment, but very, very little "all Jews are scum" sentiment. "All Muslims are scum" is (in my experience) infinitely more common. Hailey, is that not your experience?

HaileyinHongKong wrote:

That Jewish banker thing is a racist stereotype soaking in antisemitism.

Well, to be fair, Hailey, I encounter a lot of anti-rich-Godless-banker sentiment, too. I have to say I don't think that prejudice against a small portion of any ethnic group amounts to prejudice against the entire group. For instance, saying that one hates rapists or drone pilots or child-molesters or crooked bankers from some ethnic or racial or religious group isn't at all the same as saying one hates the entire group. I hate and despise all male crooked bankers - and, just by the way, all Jewish crooked bankers and all Catholic crooked bankers and all atheist crooked bankers in that group. Am I thrice-prejudiced, soaking in anti-Jew, anti-Catholic and anti-atheist sentiment?

Come on. Give me a break!

South Africa is a beautiful country and the people are too, of all races. Most tourists I've met there were thoroughly enjoying themselves. There is a lot to experience because it's such a diverse country. Unfortunately this is marred by crime and corruption, but since coming here I've realized just how nice most South Africans are. But I am biased since it is my home  ;)

People do seem to get more passionate about hating religious groups. I don't get it. I'm not religious but I respect religion and it's a beautiful concept. The first time I went into a Catholic church I felt humbled and awed, and the more I hear about the Koran the more beautiful I think Islam actually is. I don't think I know any Jews. I know the stereotype, I know the expressions but I've never encountered antisemitism myself. After the Holocaust you would think people would learn how cruel and selfish it is to think any one race or religion is better. As history proves though mankind never learns. At the end of the day we are all people, and we chose to prove the stereotype relevant to us either right or wrong.

the racism is a matter of the world nowadays it exists in different forms not only in colors and nationalities but even in religions and sexes and in cultures too am amazed when people think this way when the world now has reached to limits of technology and knowledge are we still thinking to be racist in 2014 i hate racism and people thinking this way open your minds and be human being before to think of differences because if we are not different we can not exchange and life will be borring for all us.

racism is everywhere, but loves can conquer all :)

Racsim blocks the mind and heart, being open to all is the most comfortable to all...

London is great!

Interesting debate happening here....

Well, I see frequently that many foreigners consider as racism all kind of negative attitudes towards them. But they forgot that in their own countries exist the same attitudes because somebody has less money, because one belongs to another religion, because one has another political ideas, one has a low education level, or simply because one considers boring the person, or arrogant, etc.

People find all kind of labels to try to feel themselves better, BUT either, when our tolerance limit is over demanded we react. So, we cannot call others racist just because they use their right to be with people which share their interests.

The idea to condem racist people to be with their target group, it is a good idea, but it has to be really clarify the situation in all details.

(Moderated: Inappropriate posting)

In my travels I have come across racist types who are very quick to dish out racist remarks but soon react when it it thrown back at them. The world could well do without racism but unfortunately it will always be with us.

Your place is where your heart is, not the colors, pl find like minded people

The creator doesn't make any difference in creating but given a mind to do all non-sense and racism is one of them...........

Mississipi burning?

12 years of slavery?

THE  HELP

Dear abasu and Taani,

Please write something more than this one or two word messages so we will know what exactly you people want to say..........I know this are the name of the films...... ;)

Regards,
Anil

yes, really hapened here. not only on people but also oter aspect, im only pinoy here in my company, so grouping.. im sad

Live your expat project without any stress thanks to advice from expats

OR