Almaty travel help

Always have an interest in Kazakhstan, will be travelling to Almaty between 26th April to 6th May
Questions:
1. Tried to find tour package online, but they are really expensive, 1600USD for 3 days, would I be able to find English speaking tour easily when I arrived in Almaty? I am looking for some tour which offer country side excursion.

2. I am excited to find out there will be some parade on Unity Day on 1st May, I also noticed 7th and 9th May will be Kazakh holiday as well, is the military parade on 7th or 9th really big? will it be a big miss if I leave Almaty on 6th May?

3. Is renting a car and drive to Almaty lake a big challenge for foreigners? Do you know if I need a 4WD for the task?

Thanks,

I have tried to ask the same question on travel forum, but there seems to be not many Almaty locals, hence I come to seek help here.

1) I would not bother too much with trying to find a package tour, this is not Europe and I would assume they would be highly over-priced...

2) If you are here already, it would be a shame to miss out something like this... If you do however, it is not the end of the world not is it! :D

There are plenty of English speakers here... facebook.com/groups/expatskz/

3) I would not bother renting a car to drive here; I am from the UK and so hate driving on the other side of the road anyway - so perhaps I avoid more than others... But roads are not as high quality as in other countries and I would be concerned about the ease of driving into a ditch! Not bad enough to need 4x4 however…

Once here - you will notice that it appears everyone's second job is a taxi - so no issues getting around :)

-----

I hope this helps and if you want contact us - try here: [link moderated] where my wife and I would be happy to show you around...

Darren

hi
renting a car to drive ?? I really don't suggest you doing so is a big "NO" Is left hand drive and police here is always on a look out for preys. if you don't speak Russian, than it will be a big hassle.
I don't know about tour here...
read more in lonely planet and trip adviser....you should be ok travelling in a bus or train.
Taxi driver or freelance taxi they don't speak English...

I agree - taxis are too cheap to mess about driving yourself and I'd hate to even think about the hassle if you crashed!

Do they drive on the same side of the road in Honk Kong as the UK? :)

Cheers,

Darren

Hi guys! There is a simple web resource AlmatyCity.info, which could help foreigners in getting necessary information. If you are not able to find answers here.

Hello Roy

Possible to get in touch with you?  I am a tv producer in Singapore, currently our production house is producing a new tv series for Mediacorp channel U, this series document the lives of Singaporeans overseas and their long awaited journey home, could be visiting friends and families, or returning for good.

Hope you can email me at foonworkz(at)gmail.com and i can give you more details. Thanks!

cheers

hi Foon
I have left Almaty few months back. presently i am based in Bangkok. You can email me at [email protected]