Good Art Supply Stores in Budapest?

Does anyone know of an art supply store that sells Prismacolor brand pencils and/or markers, or a brand very similar to them in Budapest? I am from the US, and I usually buy Prismacolors, but can't seem to find them here. I've tried googling it as well, but nothing seems to come up.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Little Miss Zen wrote:

Does anyone know of an art supply store that sells Prismacolor brand pencils and/or markers, or a brand very similar to them in Budapest? I am from the US, and I usually buy Prismacolors, but can't seem to find them here. I've tried googling it as well, but nothing seems to come up.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

There's a good art shop at the Mammut Mall near Moscow (Szell Kalman) Square that my daughter likes for her supplies.

Unfortunately, I don't know  if they sell the brand of pencils you are seeking.

Here are the list of main shops in Budapest:

hobbymuvesz.hu/rolunk

muveszkellek.hu/boltjaink

panton.hu/

Nagymezo utca has some pretty serious stuff (artists' supplies rather than crafty junk), but I don't know that I've ever seen Prismacolors.  I have a set (I brought from the States) and they are amazing, I know why you want them!

Panton stores have Derwent Coloursoft pencils, which might be the closest equivalent (you can google Derwent Coloursoft vs. Prismacolor).
They also have Shinhan Touch markers that you can google a comparison with Copic or Prismacolor.

Personally, I haven't used them, so I can't say - I'll wait until (if) my Prisma's run out and then decide (not likely, I have no time for colored pencils these days :( )

If you want to get some shipped from the States, just be careful of the value, because anything over ~$50 is subject to a VAT (like, 27%?)  I know Prismacolor sets run quite high.

Also,
there are Pirex Papir stores, but they tend to be over-priced and only gloss over basic school and office supplies, not a whole lot in the fine arts category

There is a good Artist supply store Nagmezo utca 45 to 47.
District 5..
Whether they sell what you require I do not know but they have a great selection of artists materials.

Also at Ferencek Ter near the corner of Vaci Utca at the bus stop going in the direction of the Elizabeth Bridge..Sorry I do not know the name of the shop..but it quite big .

Be careful as the customs duties have been increased from the US.  Recently I got some vitamins and the duty was 50%. Ouch! It is part of the new tax laws implemented recently by Fidez to get out from under the IMF.  It is better to try and order everything you can from Germany where the VAT is 19%.  Even with shipping included it is a lot less than buying in Hungary or outside the EU. Check with Amazon.de or Ebay.de and see if they have what you are looking for.

borschelrh wrote:

Be careful as the customs duties have been increased from the US. ....It is better to try and order everything you can from Germany where the VAT is 19%.  Even with shipping included it is a lot less than buying in Hungary or outside the EU. Check with Amazon.de or Ebay.de and see if they have what you are looking for.

Agreed. 

The import duties are randomly applied. I received a taxable package from the USA recently and I paid nothing in import taxes or VAT. But I'm not complaining! Sometimes one can lucky and pay nothing, other times, you can get the book thrown at you.

Plan a trip to Szentendre for some inspiration, and drop by here:
http://nskeret.hu/
There are a number of other stores nearby supporting the many local artists.

The suggestion of a trip to Szentendre is good..It has many artists and makes a good day out too..
If you have a problem I have a famous artist friend ..I will contact him but hopefully you will solve your problem..

I usually buy Prismacolor pencils from Aswexpress.com or JerrysArtarama.com You will find variety of different shades of pencils or markers at either online store. Keep in mind though the ASW wholesale site is for larger dollar purchases so it may help you. Either option is a great choice depending on your needs.

At Jerry's Artarama,If you join the email program like I have, you get extra special coupons as well.. just throwing that out there. Good luck!
Jerrys Artarama:jerrysartarama.com/discount-art-supplies/pens-and-markers/prismacolor-markers-and-se
ASW Wholesale Club:aswexpress.com/wholesale/drawing/colored-pencils/prismacolor/premier/sets.html