The other side of the Portuguese postcard

Hi,

As a tourist in a foreign country, very often, we are enchanted with what we discover.

Living abroad is different. It's a rich experience but there are also some difficulties to face.

When people ask me for advice on living abroad, I then tend to say that one should also look at both sides of the postcard.

As an expat in Portugal, how would you describe the two sides of your Portuguese postcard?

Thank you for sharing your experience,

Julien

Hi Julian, I totally agree.  Every country  has its pros and cons - the one you left and the one you live in currently.  One just has to stay positive even when things do not seem to be working out, and enjoy those things you can enjoy.  There are many things to see in Portugal.  It may be small but it is rich in history, culture and nature. 

It was very difficult when we first got here, country was about 10years behind the times, so very frustrating however they are slowly catching up. 

Very difficult for the children going to a school where they did not understand a word that was being said - however perseverance paid off and they are now totally integrated and have both local and international friends.

I would say though that I did not think then, nor think now, that the education system is very good.  Every year one has to buy new books, every year the books change - one cannot reuse books and so many times books still sealed in plastic had to be thrown away as they had not even opened them!!!  Teachers constantly changing, no continuity.

One of the hardest things was making friends.  Portuguese, although very hospitable, are very family orientated.  There is no such thing as "just stopping by for coffee etc.".  One has to wait for a invitation and most times it is not to the home but to an restaurant. 

The country is much safer,  one can walk around at night without having to be too careful.  Restaurants are in abundance and mostly good value for money, the sun shines and the weather most times is great.

One really just has to make the best of things wherever you are. Every time you find something you dislike, look for something on the positive side.

Of course that the system of "new books every year" is not related to the education system per se, as you should understand. Those are the pressures from a different kind of industry. Of all the problems inherent to the Education system, that one comes from "the outside".